summer employment leading to a clerkship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

summer employment leading to a clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 01, 2010 1:07 pm

HYS 0L here. possibly a stupid question so bear with me. what sort of summer employment does one need to secure a CoA or strong DCt clerkship after graduation? do I need to spend at least one summer working for a judge or in government as an RA or something like that, or will i be OK if i work in firms both summers?

Anonymous User

Re: summer employment leading to a clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 01, 2010 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:HYS 0L here. possibly a stupid question so bear with me. what sort of summer employment does one need to secure a CoA or strong DCt clerkship after graduation? do I need to spend at least one summer working for a judge or in government as an RA or something like that, or will i be OK if i work in firms both summers?

0L HYS also curious.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Sat May 01, 2010 1:25 pm

I know (as in i meet him at an event) an HLS grad doing a COA clerkship now, and he did 2 firm summers (got good grades and made 2 professor contacts during school)....i dont think interning for a judge or doing RA over the summer is necessary to get one...I would say grades (More HPs then Ps), Law review, and contact during school with profs would help a lot more(can do RA during the year instead).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 01, 2010 2:12 pm

Straight from the person in charge of this at my T10: It doesn't matter even a little bit for the bullet points on your resume. Spending a summer delivering pizzas will hurt, but any legal work is fine and judges aren't going to care about the Vault ranking of your 2L firm or anything.

Summer employment has very, very little to do with clerkship hiring. It doesn't make much sense to try and shoehorn something that will boost your clerkship chances into your summer, because it isn't likely to work very well.

People mention RAing or working for a judge, but even those in isolation don't help your application much. They won't be the items that get you the clerkship.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Sat May 01, 2010 5:53 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 01, 2010 6:06 pm

TTT-LS wrote:I worked at firms 1L and 2L summer, had loads of COA interview offers & ended up with a pretty sweet gig. So, in short, no: there's no harm in working at firms both summers.

Do you mind telling your school & rank (approx.)?

Tobias Funke

Postby Tobias Funke » Sat May 01, 2010 6:07 pm

Oops, that ^ wasn't meant to be anonymous.

Return to “Legal Employment”