Are splitters screwed with respect to 1L summer employment? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
D Brooks

Silver

Are splitters screwed with respect to 1L summer employment?

Post by D Brooks » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:10 pm

It seems that all applications that are sent out before first semester grades are posted consist of cover letter, resume, and UG transcript.

For splitters who were lucky enough to get into a T14 via an impressive LSAT score: what was your experience with getting summer employment? The last two years of my UG work was decent enough (3.7+) but my frosh and sophs years were a disaster so I'm a bit worried.

Please share your experiences.

JCougar

Gold

Re: Are splitters screwed with respect to 1L summer employment?

Post by JCougar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Do you really have to send in your UG transcript to get 1L summer work?

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:13 pm

D Brooks wrote:It seems that all applications that are sent out before first semester grades are posted consist of cover letter, resume, and UG transcript.

For splitters who were lucky enough to get into a T14 via an impressive LSAT score: what was your experience with getting summer employment? The last two years of my UG work was decent enough (3.7+) but my frosh and sophs years were a disaster so I'm a bit worried.

on your resume... include your LSAT score.

problem solved.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:38 pm

D Brooks wrote:It seems that all applications that are sent out before first semester grades are posted consist of cover letter, resume, and UG transcript.

1L splitter here. You should not be sending out UG transcripts unless a firm specifically asks for them. I only had one firm even mention it as something I "could" bring, and I brought the transcript to the interview but they never asked for it.

The standard mailing is cover letter + resume. Some firm websites will specify to send a writing sample also, in which case you should send one.

If you're an engineer/science person looking at IP jobs, then I think the UG transcript matters and is routinely asked for, but I don't really know about that firsthand.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:10 pm

My strong UG career helped get me a job before grades came out. It doesn't screw you to not have that, it's just a card you can't play.

You're going to have to adjust to the fact that you'll be dealt a different hand than everyone else and adjust accordingly. The market - particularly for 1L hiring - is very far from fair. Once you have them, 1L grades are however the great equalizer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:29 pm

Even if you are at a T14, odds are you won't wind up at a big law firm for 1L summer. In fact, you will probably be doing unpaid public interest or govt. legal work funded by some kind of grant or stipend from your school or something like that. So I wouldn't worry too much about this.

If you decide to go fishing for a 1L SA job at a big firm anyway, odds are they will probably hold off making a decision until 1st semester grades come out.

gollymolly

Bronze

Post by gollymolly » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:33 pm

Last edited by gollymolly on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:35 pm

Are UG transcripts only asked/needed for IP jobs, like patent prosecution?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are UG transcripts only asked/needed for IP jobs, like patent prosecution?
More or less true. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that is absolutely the general rule.

You can include uGPA if you feel like it, and probably should include undergrad honors, so some of the proxies for grades still remain even though transcripts don't go out. But the classification largely becomes 'honors / top of class' and 'no information' as opposed to specific transcript information.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:24 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are UG transcripts only asked/needed for IP jobs, like patent prosecution?
More or less true. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that is absolutely the general rule.

You can include uGPA if you feel like it, and probably should include undergrad honors, so some of the proxies for grades still remain even though transcripts don't go out. But the classification largely becomes 'honors / top of class' and 'no information' as opposed to specific transcript information.
Ahh ok, thanks. I'm screwed than, <3.0 in EE, but have passed the patent bar. I wonder if I ever did a Master's in EE, then would IP firms basically "disregard" UG grades. How much of a difference do you think it makes by passing the patent bar, and having about 1 yr. experience in patent pros, despite <3.0?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:25 pm

irie wrote:on your resume... include your LSAT score.

problem solved.
rofl you are either an idiot or a huge douche

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:28 pm

Is it worth mentioning on a resume that you did well (top 3 percent) in graduate level law courses while studying abroad for a year at a top 5 globally ranked school for the social sciences? Or will they be like-why do I care where he studied abroad? My undergrad isn't very prestigious and maybe this is worth a tiny boost...?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:01 pm

acdisagod wrote:Is it worth mentioning on a resume that you did well (top 3 percent) in graduate level law courses while studying abroad for a year at a top 5 globally ranked school for the social sciences? Or will they be like-why do I care where he studied abroad? My undergrad isn't very prestigious and maybe this is worth a tiny boost...?
No

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:07 pm

It depends on the law firm. Some will request your undergraduate transcript, while others will wonder what relevance it has to the practice of law if you voluntarily send it. I know of one law firm that only hired law students that were in the top 5% of their law school class but also required college & high school transcripts.

Styrofoam

New

Post by Styrofoam » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:09 pm

No, they are not.

Don't put your LSAT on your resume. Act smart and personable. That's really all there is. Many hiring decisions are delayed until after grades end up coming out anyhow, so your 1st semester grades are important. But UG, study abroad, etc. don't carry much weight.

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:19 pm

Okay, I was just curious. In the sample cover letters that UVA has on their website, they all say something along the lines of "I have included my resume and undergraduate transcript. I will be forwarding my first semester grades as soon as the become available."

I was just curious.

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:43 pm

speaking from experience. no.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kenson

New

Post by kenson » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:17 am

CanadianWolf wrote:It depends on the law firm. Some will request your undergraduate transcript, while others will wonder what relevance it has to the practice of law if you voluntarily send it. I know of one law firm that only hired law students that were in the top 5% of their law school class but also required college & high school transcripts.
High school? Why the fuck do they want to know what grade I got in Cooking with Flair?

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:18 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:53 pm

No. Everyone is screwed w.r.t. summer employment, if you mean the paying kind. Splitters aren't special in that regard.

Those jobs are like albino alligators--there are just enough out there to prove you wrong when you say they don't exist.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Sat May 01, 2010 1:42 am

Renzo wrote:
No. Everyone is screwed w.r.t. summer employment, if you mean the paying kind. Splitters aren't special in that regard.

Those jobs are like albino alligators--there are just enough out there to prove you wrong when you say they don't exist.
There are albino alligators?

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Sat May 01, 2010 1:57 am

DerrickRose wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Apparently so.

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Sat May 01, 2010 2:01 am

thalassocrat wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Apparently so.
Jesus H Christ! I'm gonna have nightmares about that thing.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sun May 02, 2010 10:26 am

thalassocrat wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Apparently so.
Dude...some albino gator shoes would be pretty boss.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”