V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby miamiman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:47 pm

Romo, no need to killself. As I explained previously, you're T20 secure. Had you told me you were going to UIUC, I would have advised immolation.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby Unemployed » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:47 pm

showNprove wrote:T1, T3, T5, T6, T10, T12, T13, T14, T17, T18

All valid cutoff points, but usage depends on the intent of the troll.


So T4 is not valid?

itsmytime10
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby itsmytime10 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:You are paying sticker at NU because attending a T14 obviously will increase your chances of getting bigLaw right? I believe an excellent resume from a T30 student gives them this extra push as well....Believe it or not firms favor law students with good WE, and that is the main reason why NU places so well.

NU places well because its students have good WE and are attending a T10. You're kind of skipping over one part while focusing too much on the other.


True...but i highly doubt that a NU student with 0 years of WE, will do better in finding a job than say..a WashU student with 4 years of solid WE


You are vastly overemphasizing the importance of WE in legal hiring.

The NU student will have a MUCH easier time finding a job.


Lets agree to disagree....I will remind you of this statement when i get my IL summer PAID internship. $3200/WEEK...oh and i would be in much less debt.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:51 pm

miamiman wrote:Romo, no need to killself. As I explained previously, you're T20 secure. Had you told me you were going to UIUC, I would have advised immolation.


Damn, for once, you beat me to it. I was going to advise seppuku, but immolation is equally credited.

fiftyonefifty
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:49 am

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby fiftyonefifty » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:52 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:You are paying sticker at NU because attending a T14 obviously will increase your chances of getting bigLaw right? I believe an excellent resume from a T30 student gives them this extra push as well....Believe it or not firms favor law students with good WE, and that is the main reason why NU places so well.

NU places well because its students have good WE and are attending a T10. You're kind of skipping over one part while focusing too much on the other.


True...but i highly doubt that a NU student with 0 years of WE, will do better in finding a job than say..a WashU student with 4 years of solid WE


lol. I've recruited for attorney positions at the state and federal levels. Work experience wins almost always. that's just state and federal though
Last edited by fiftyonefifty on Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1914
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:53 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:You are paying sticker at NU because attending a T14 obviously will increase your chances of getting bigLaw right? I believe an excellent resume from a T30 student gives them this extra push as well....Believe it or not firms favor law students with good WE, and that is the main reason why NU places so well.

NU places well because its students have good WE and are attending a T10. You're kind of skipping over one part while focusing too much on the other.


True...but i highly doubt that a NU student with 0 years of WE, will do better in finding a job than say..a WashU student with 4 years of solid WE


So are you saying that WUSTL + WE = NU + WE? If so I think you are nuts, and if not I don't understand your point.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:53 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
miamiman wrote:Romo, no need to killself. As I explained previously, you're T20 secure. Had you told me you were going to UIUC, I would have advised immolation.


Damn, for once, you beat me to it. I was going to advise seppuku, but immolation is equally credited.


I had to look up seppuku. Sounds better than going to law school outside the T10.

itsmytime10
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby itsmytime10 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:You are paying sticker at NU because attending a T14 obviously will increase your chances of getting bigLaw right? I believe an excellent resume from a T30 student gives them this extra push as well....Believe it or not firms favor law students with good WE, and that is the main reason why NU places so well.

NU places well because its students have good WE and are attending a T10. You're kind of skipping over one part while focusing too much on the other.


True...but i highly doubt that a NU student with 0 years of WE, will do better in finding a job than say..a WashU student with 4 years of solid WE


So are you saying that WUSTL + WE = NU + WE? If so I think you are nuts, and if not I don't understand your point.


No i am saying WUSTL +5yrsWE > NU + OyrsWE

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:55 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:No i am saying WUSTL +5yrsWE > NU + OyrsWE



lol'd

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby miamiman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:56 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
miamiman wrote:Romo, no need to killself. As I explained previously, you're T20 secure. Had you told me you were going to UIUC, I would have advised immolation.


Damn, for once, you beat me to it. I was going to advise seppuku, but immolation is equally credited.



AA, I couldn't for the life of me stand idle anymore and let you steal my thunder. It was my time to shine and I took it . And I'm a better person for it.

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby awesomepossum » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:58 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:You are paying sticker at NU because attending a T14 obviously will increase your chances of getting bigLaw right? I believe an excellent resume from a T30 student gives them this extra push as well....Believe it or not firms favor law students with good WE, and that is the main reason why NU places so well.

NU places well because its students have good WE and are attending a T10. You're kind of skipping over one part while focusing too much on the other.


True...but i highly doubt that a NU student with 0 years of WE, will do better in finding a job than say..a WashU student with 4 years of solid WE


The problem is that people with work experience cost more. These days it seems harder for people who have lost their jobs even with "solid WE" than for brand new associates.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:58 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
True...but i highly doubt that a NU student with 0 years of WE, will do better in finding a job than say..a WashU student with 4 years of solid WE


So are you saying that WUSTL + WE = NU + WE? If so I think you are nuts, and if not I don't understand your point.


No i am saying WUSTL +5yrsWE > NU + OyrsWE


Can we not mention my future LS in this discussion? I'm already going through an agonizing period of self-loathing and self-questioning without you people making it worse.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:01 am

awesomepossum wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
True...but i highly doubt that a NU student with 0 years of WE, will do better in finding a job than say..a WashU student with 4 years of solid WE


The problem is that people with work experience cost more. These days it seems harder for people who have lost their jobs even with "solid WE" than for brand new associates.


I think he meant fresh law school grads, the WUSTL student having pre law WE.

itsmytime10
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby itsmytime10 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:02 am

awesomepossum wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:You are paying sticker at NU because attending a T14 obviously will increase your chances of getting bigLaw right? I believe an excellent resume from a T30 student gives them this extra push as well....Believe it or not firms favor law students with good WE, and that is the main reason why NU places so well.

NU places well because its students have good WE and are attending a T10. You're kind of skipping over one part while focusing too much on the other.


True...but i highly doubt that a NU student with 0 years of WE, will do better in finding a job than say..a WashU student with 4 years of solid WE


The problem is that people with work experience cost more. These days it seems harder for people who have lost their jobs even with "solid WE" than for brand new associates.


You are talking about people with solid WE who have lost their jobs.....that is totally different.

My point is that a T14 at sticker is not always a better deal than a T25 with $$. It depends on ur profile.
Last edited by itsmytime10 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1914
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:05 am

itsmytime10 wrote:
No i am saying WUSTL +5yrsWE > NU + OyrsWE


I'm not taking a position one way or another on that, but you may be right. It's also somewhat irrelevant since I think like 95% of NU's entering class has worked for at least one year. But either way, your initial statement suggested that DF's reasoning that an article like this makes him feel better about his decision to pay sticker at NU vs. taking money from a t30 would be flawed for someone with WE. That really wouldn't make sense unless WUSTL+WE = automatic biglaw or WUSTL + WE = NU + WE, both of which are unlikely to be true. Also, this article suggested firms would stop going to some schools period. If they don't go to a school's campus to interview, the person at a campus that they do go to is going to have a better shot at working for that firm. That doesn't seem like a stretch at all.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:08 am

itsmytime10 wrote:My point is that a T14 at sticker is not always a better deal than a T25 with $$. It depends on[strike]ur profile[/strike] goals.


Fixed.

itsmytime10
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby itsmytime10 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:09 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
No i am saying WUSTL +5yrsWE > NU + OyrsWE


I'm not taking a position one way or another on that, but you may be right. It's also somewhat irrelevant since I think like 95% of NU's entering class has worked for at least one year. But either way, your initial statement suggested that DF's reasoning that an article like this makes him feel better about his decision to pay sticker at NU vs. taking money from a t30 would be flawed for someone with WE. That really wouldn't make sense unless WUSTL+WE = automatic biglaw or WUSTL + WE = NU + WE, both of which are unlikely to be true. Also, this article suggested firms would stop going to some schools period. If they don't go to a school's campus to interview, the person at a campus that they do go to is going to have a better shot at working for that firm. That doesn't seem like a stretch at all.


Here is another problem with Law Students esp those with 0 years of WE. OCI is not the only way to get into a firm. If a firm isn't coming to my school it doesn't mean i can't get my resume in front of the hiring manager.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:11 am

itsmytime10 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
No i am saying WUSTL +5yrsWE > NU + OyrsWE


I'm not taking a position one way or another on that, but you may be right. It's also somewhat irrelevant since I think like 95% of NU's entering class has worked for at least one year. But either way, your initial statement suggested that DF's reasoning that an article like this makes him feel better about his decision to pay sticker at NU vs. taking money from a t30 would be flawed for someone with WE. That really wouldn't make sense unless WUSTL+WE = automatic biglaw or WUSTL + WE = NU + WE, both of which are unlikely to be true. Also, this article suggested firms would stop going to some schools period. If they don't go to a school's campus to interview, the person at a campus that they do go to is going to have a better shot at working for that firm. That doesn't seem like a stretch at all.


Here is another problem with Law Students esp those with 0 years of WE. OCI is not the only way to get into a firm. If a firm isn't coming to my school it doesn't mean i can't get my resume in front of the hiring manager.


RC fail. Stringer didn't say it was impossible to get a job outside of OCI. He said it was harder. If you're going to argue with that, then you have gone off the deep end.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby AngryAvocado » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:11 am

miamiman wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
miamiman wrote:Romo, no need to killself. As I explained previously, you're T20 secure. Had you told me you were going to UIUC, I would have advised immolation.


Damn, for once, you beat me to it. I was going to advise seppuku, but immolation is equally credited.



AA, I couldn't for the life of me stand idle anymore and let you steal my thunder. It was my time to shine and I took it . And I'm a better person for it.


Yes, you are better for it. We are all better for it.

Now, for those of you who have not been deemed BigLaw or T20 Secure (redundant since those two things are now synonymous), please go ahead and

--ImageRemoved--

itsmytime10
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby itsmytime10 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:14 am

romothesavior wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
No i am saying WUSTL +5yrsWE > NU + OyrsWE


I'm not taking a position one way or another on that, but you may be right. It's also somewhat irrelevant since I think like 95% of NU's entering class has worked for at least one year. But either way, your initial statement suggested that DF's reasoning that an article like this makes him feel better about his decision to pay sticker at NU vs. taking money from a t30 would be flawed for someone with WE. That really wouldn't make sense unless WUSTL+WE = automatic biglaw or WUSTL + WE = NU + WE, both of which are unlikely to be true. Also, this article suggested firms would stop going to some schools period. If they don't go to a school's campus to interview, the person at a campus that they do go to is going to have a better shot at working for that firm. That doesn't seem like a stretch at all.


Here is another problem with Law Students esp those with 0 years of WE. OCI is not the only way to get into a firm. If a firm isn't coming to my school it doesn't mean i can't get my resume in front of the hiring manager.


RC fail. Stringer didn't say it was impossible to get a job outside of OCI. He said it was harder. If you're going to argue with that, then you have gone off the deep end.


My apologies. I wasn't trying to say stringer was wrong...just saying that seems to be a common theme on this board. OCI was hit badly = students can't find jobs.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:15 am

itsmytime10 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:NU places well because its students have good WE and are attending a T10. You're kind of skipping over one part while focusing too much on the other.


True...but i highly doubt that a NU student with 0 years of WE, will do better in finding a job than say..a WashU student with 4 years of solid WE


You are vastly overemphasizing the importance of WE in legal hiring.

The NU student will have a MUCH easier time finding a job.


Lets agree to disagree....I will remind you of this statement when i get my IL summer PAID internship. $3200/WEEK...oh and i would be in much less debt.


Odds are you aren't even getting a 2L SA.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:16 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
No i am saying WUSTL +5yrsWE > NU + OyrsWE


I'm not taking a position one way or another on that, but you may be right.


He is not right.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:17 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
No i am saying WUSTL +5yrsWE > NU + OyrsWE


I'm not taking a position one way or another on that, but you may be right.


He is not right.



No, no he isn't

itsmytime10
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby itsmytime10 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:18 am

Lets agree to disagree....I will remind you of this statement when i get my IL summer PAID internship. $3200/WEEK...oh and i would be in much less debt.[/quote]

Odds are you aren't even getting a 2L SA.[/quote]

that will be just fine as well...i don't owe anyone 200k

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Postby miamiman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:18 am

DF is my TLS hero.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.