V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
miamiman

Silver

Re: V25 hiring director: non-T20 hiring to decline permanently

Post by miamiman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:47 pm

Romo, no need to killself. As I explained previously, you're T20 secure. Had you told me you were going to UIUC, I would have advised immolation.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:47 pm

showNprove wrote:T1, T3, T5, T6, T10, T12, T13, T14, T17, T18

All valid cutoff points, but usage depends on the intent of the troll.
So T4 is not valid?

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:You are paying sticker at NU because attending a T14 obviously will increase your chances of getting bigLaw right? I believe an excellent resume from a T30 student gives them this extra push as well....Believe it or not firms favor law students with good WE, and that is the main reason why NU places so well.
NU places well because its students have good WE and are attending a T10. You're kind of skipping over one part while focusing too much on the other.
True...but i highly doubt that a NU student with 0 years of WE, will do better in finding a job than say..a WashU student with 4 years of solid WE
You are vastly overemphasizing the importance of WE in legal hiring.

The NU student will have a MUCH easier time finding a job.
Lets agree to disagree....I will remind you of this statement when i get my IL summer PAID internship. $3200/WEEK...oh and i would be in much less debt.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:51 pm

miamiman wrote:Romo, no need to killself. As I explained previously, you're T20 secure. Had you told me you were going to UIUC, I would have advised immolation.
Damn, for once, you beat me to it. I was going to advise seppuku, but immolation is equally credited.

fiftyonefifty

New

Post by fiftyonefifty » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:52 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:You are paying sticker at NU because attending a T14 obviously will increase your chances of getting bigLaw right? I believe an excellent resume from a T30 student gives them this extra push as well....Believe it or not firms favor law students with good WE, and that is the main reason why NU places so well.
NU places well because its students have good WE and are attending a T10. You're kind of skipping over one part while focusing too much on the other.
True...but i highly doubt that a NU student with 0 years of WE, will do better in finding a job than say..a WashU student with 4 years of solid WE
lol. I've recruited for attorney positions at the state and federal levels. Work experience wins almost always. that's just state and federal though
Last edited by fiftyonefifty on Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:53 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
So are you saying that WUSTL + WE = NU + WE? If so I think you are nuts, and if not I don't understand your point.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:53 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
miamiman wrote:Romo, no need to killself. As I explained previously, you're T20 secure. Had you told me you were going to UIUC, I would have advised immolation.
Damn, for once, you beat me to it. I was going to advise seppuku, but immolation is equally credited.
I had to look up seppuku. Sounds better than going to law school outside the T10.

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
So are you saying that WUSTL + WE = NU + WE? If so I think you are nuts, and if not I don't understand your point.
No i am saying WUSTL +5yrsWE > NU + OyrsWE

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:55 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:No i am saying WUSTL +5yrsWE > NU + OyrsWE

lol'd

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:56 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:

AA, I couldn't for the life of me stand idle anymore and let you steal my thunder. It was my time to shine and I took it . And I'm a better person for it.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:58 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
The problem is that people with work experience cost more. These days it seems harder for people who have lost their jobs even with "solid WE" than for brand new associates.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:58 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
Can we not mention my future LS in this discussion? I'm already going through an agonizing period of self-loathing and self-questioning without you people making it worse.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:01 am

awesomepossum wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
The problem is that people with work experience cost more. These days it seems harder for people who have lost their jobs even with "solid WE" than for brand new associates.
I think he meant fresh law school grads, the WUSTL student having pre law WE.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:02 am

awesomepossum wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
You are talking about people with solid WE who have lost their jobs.....that is totally different.

My point is that a T14 at sticker is not always a better deal than a T25 with $$. It depends on ur profile.
Last edited by itsmytime10 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:05 am

itsmytime10 wrote:
I'm not taking a position one way or another on that, but you may be right. It's also somewhat irrelevant since I think like 95% of NU's entering class has worked for at least one year. But either way, your initial statement suggested that DF's reasoning that an article like this makes him feel better about his decision to pay sticker at NU vs. taking money from a t30 would be flawed for someone with WE. That really wouldn't make sense unless WUSTL+WE = automatic biglaw or WUSTL + WE = NU + WE, both of which are unlikely to be true. Also, this article suggested firms would stop going to some schools period. If they don't go to a school's campus to interview, the person at a campus that they do go to is going to have a better shot at working for that firm. That doesn't seem like a stretch at all.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:08 am

itsmytime10 wrote:My point is that a T14 at sticker is not always a better deal than a T25 with $$. It depends on[strike]ur profile[/strike] goals.
Fixed.

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:09 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
I'm not taking a position one way or another on that, but you may be right. It's also somewhat irrelevant since I think like 95% of NU's entering class has worked for at least one year. But either way, your initial statement suggested that DF's reasoning that an article like this makes him feel better about his decision to pay sticker at NU vs. taking money from a t30 would be flawed for someone with WE. That really wouldn't make sense unless WUSTL+WE = automatic biglaw or WUSTL + WE = NU + WE, both of which are unlikely to be true. Also, this article suggested firms would stop going to some schools period. If they don't go to a school's campus to interview, the person at a campus that they do go to is going to have a better shot at working for that firm. That doesn't seem like a stretch at all.
Here is another problem with Law Students esp those with 0 years of WE. OCI is not the only way to get into a firm. If a firm isn't coming to my school it doesn't mean i can't get my resume in front of the hiring manager.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:11 am

itsmytime10 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
Here is another problem with Law Students esp those with 0 years of WE. OCI is not the only way to get into a firm. If a firm isn't coming to my school it doesn't mean i can't get my resume in front of the hiring manager.
RC fail. Stringer didn't say it was impossible to get a job outside of OCI. He said it was harder. If you're going to argue with that, then you have gone off the deep end.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:11 am

miamiman wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:

AA, I couldn't for the life of me stand idle anymore and let you steal my thunder. It was my time to shine and I took it . And I'm a better person for it.
Yes, you are better for it. We are all better for it.

Now, for those of you who have not been deemed BigLaw or T20 Secure (redundant since those two things are now synonymous), please go ahead and

--ImageRemoved--

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:14 am

romothesavior wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
RC fail. Stringer didn't say it was impossible to get a job outside of OCI. He said it was harder. If you're going to argue with that, then you have gone off the deep end.
My apologies. I wasn't trying to say stringer was wrong...just saying that seems to be a common theme on this board. OCI was hit badly = students can't find jobs.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:15 am

itsmytime10 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote: NU places well because its students have good WE and are attending a T10. You're kind of skipping over one part while focusing too much on the other.
You are vastly overemphasizing the importance of WE in legal hiring.

The NU student will have a MUCH easier time finding a job.
Lets agree to disagree....I will remind you of this statement when i get my IL summer PAID internship. $3200/WEEK...oh and i would be in much less debt.
Odds are you aren't even getting a 2L SA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:16 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
I'm not taking a position one way or another on that, but you may be right.
He is not right.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:17 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
I'm not taking a position one way or another on that, but you may be right.
He is not right.

No, no he isn't

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:18 am

Lets agree to disagree....I will remind you of this statement when i get my IL summer PAID internship. $3200/WEEK...oh and i would be in much less debt.[/quote]

Odds are you aren't even getting a 2L SA.[/quote]

that will be just fine as well...i don't owe anyone 200k

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:18 am

DF is my TLS hero.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”