Emailing a Partner "too fast" vs. the "1 week minimum" Rule

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Emailing a Partner "too fast" vs. the "1 week minimum" Rule

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:22 pm

So I emailed a partner late last week about a job, we talked for about a good 30 minutes, Im a 0L and she went to same law school that I will be going to, and then I sent her some requested documents. At the end of our convo, I told her I'll be in his city within the next month or month and a half, and it would be great to meet up.

Here's my question: I will be in town and made my reservations today for being in the city. Should I wait to tell her (i.e. email her later this week, say Thursday or Friday?) that I'll be there in the city, or should I do it ASAP? When do partners actually start talking to other partners about hiring somebody - I can only imagine how busy they must be! I don't want to be rude because I just talked to her last week and its barely Tuesday today lol. By letting the partner know about my schedule today, would it seem as if:

a) I am obsessed with this job, and I should probably be giving her at least 1 week minimum (i.e. write later this Thurs/Fri) before I contact her again regarding anything
OR
b) Being opportunistic and proactive, letting her know of my interest and schedule to potentially meet

Any thoughts appreciated - thx!

romothesavior

Re: Emailing a Partner "too fast" vs. the "1 week minimum" Rule

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I emailed a partner late last week about a job, we talked for about a good 30 minutes, Im a 0L and she went to same law school that I will be going to, and then I sent her some requested documents. At the end of our convo, I told her I'll be in his city within the next month or month and a half, and it would be great to meet up.

Here's my question: I will be in town and made my reservations today for being in the city. Should I wait to tell her (i.e. email her later this week, say Thursday or Friday?) that I'll be there in the city, or should I do it ASAP? When do partners actually start talking to other partners about hiring somebody - I can only imagine how busy they must be! I don't want to be rude because I just talked to her last week and its barely Tuesday today lol. By letting the partner know about my schedule today, would it seem as if:

a) I am obsessed with this job, and I should probably be giving her at least 1 week minimum (i.e. write later this Thurs/Fri) before I contact her again regarding anything
OR
b) Being opportunistic and proactive, letting her know of my interest and schedule to potentially meet

Any thoughts appreciated - thx!

Wait, you are a 0L and you think partners are going to sit down and discuss hiring you 3 years out? I must have misread this or something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:30 pm

whoops, sorry!

*Major EDIT - forgot to mention that the partner and I talked about me working for 1 year, deferring obviously for this year, and then working Part-time throughout law school.

CCN

Postby CCN » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At the end of our convo, I told her I'll be in his city within the next month or month and a half, and it would be great to meet up.

protip: make sure you confirm the gender of said partner before you start asking for favors. you're on your way to one helluva career though!

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:Wait, you are a 0L and you think partners are going to sit down and discuss hiring you 3 years out? I must have misread this or something.

I assume this is for a legal secretary/paralegal job.... I hope?

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:33 pm

I was told the 1 week rule. I've done follow up immediately and I've done follow up after 1 week. I've found the latter more successful. Also, when following up, keep it short.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:00 pm

CCN wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At the end of our convo, I told her I'll be in his city within the next month or month and a half, and it would be great to meet up.

protip: make sure you confirm the gender of said partner before you start asking for favors. you're on your way to one helluva career though!

good call, thx for this lookout, haha!

I'm still looking for thoughts whether ppl would lean more towards (a) or (b), and why? Gracias!

Return to “Legal Employment”