Difference between law and business careers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CordeliusX

Difference between law and business careers

Postby CordeliusX » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:41 pm

I'm curious if anyone can pinpoint the main differences in style and substance between careers in law and business, like i-banking.

I have the feeling that law is more "substantial" and relies less on networking and salesmanship. In terms of characteristics, I'm told that lawyers are risk-averse and businessmen are more risk-tolerant and profit-seeking...

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Posner

Re: Difference between law and business careers

Postby Posner » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Last edited by Posner on Tue May 11, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sk08

Postby sk08 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:10 pm

I think law firms will need more business-saavy lawyers as they continue to get pressure regarding fees/hours, the billable model,etc. There is a trend of companies depending more on in-house counsel and cutting their outside firms b/c of growing costs. To stay afloat, the firms are going to have to adjust their current models and become more efficient. A process which is typically more "business" or similar to consulting.

As for "substantial" work I think you would get more substantial work in the first few years doing i-banking/consulting than a big law firm.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:55 pm

One thing I mean to ask is: what is the difference in lifestyle and overall "feel" if you're working for a biglaw firm or you're working for a bank, consultancy or corporation?

I'm thinking that law engages you and utilizes your mind/expertise. I don't have a high opininon or attraction to straight management, which seems to occupy most business careers.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Law offers more stability. Business requires risk taking. You can make more money in business. A guy I know worked as in-house counsel for a company for quite a while. After a few years he realized all the money to be made was in management. He went back to school, did his MBA, transitioned to the company's management, and makes more $$$.

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:00 pm

BigLaw is Big business. I don't think you are escaping the "Corporate America" feel by working for a BigLaw firm. Law certainly affords you the opportunity to utilize sophisticated writing and oral argument skills. But, an enormous number of BigLaw attorneys are serving the individuals you don't have a very high opinion of.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:01 pm

DIfference between i-banking and law?

I-bankers are never jealous of lawyers.

swester

Postby swester » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:01 pm

Renzo wrote:DIfference between i-banking and law?

I-bankers are never jealous of lawyers.

And as the hotshot attorney working 65 hours/week parks his new BMW in a restaurant parking lot and wonders what the guy in the Bentley parking next to him does for a living - 9 times out of 10 he's in business.

Return to “Legal Employment”