Arizona, Kentucky, Pennsylvania Legal Markets?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Maccoux16

Arizona, Kentucky, Pennsylvania Legal Markets?

Postby Maccoux16 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:49 pm

Hello all… I need some advice on how/where to look for legal jobs in other states. I grew up in MN, so it is hard because I really don't have connections in any other states. All my family resides here and so I realize that this might be an uphill battle, but I am willing to branch out and look around.

My fiance and I are trying to decide where we want to look for jobs. I am a 2L at the University of MN Law School. I would like to go into regulatory, FDA, medical device, health law, etc. field. I am definitely going to look at FDA (which is based in Silver Springs, MD). I would LOVE to live there - that is my first choice. But...

My fiance is an (unemployed) police officer. He is working as an armed guard right now. He wants to go to school for PGA Management and there are 20 colleges throughout the country that have this program. We aren't going to decide where we end up solely on where the schools are located, but we are going to try to see if it would work out for both of us. We narrowed it down to several states/areas that we are interested in. I am just having trouble finding information about how the legal market would be in these areas and ANY advice or suggestions would be helpful! Bad or good, I just want to know what you have heard… also, if anyone has ideas about where med law might be more promising, that would be helpful, too. Thankssss!!!

MentalGopher

Re: Arizona, Kentucky, Pennsylvania Legal Markets?

Postby MentalGopher » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:48 am

Of any of these, I can tell you about Arizona because I've lived here since I was 12 (I'm 24 now).

I take it that your husband would probably be looking at ASU for his degree. The Phoenix legal market itself is really, really small for a big city. BUT you have a great advantage because there are lots of hospitals (including 3 Mayo Clinics, by the way) and lots of health care-related industries out here.

The area is okay, too, depending on where you live. Since your husband is going to be doing PGA management, he'll probably go to ASU-Polytechnic, which is in Mesa. It's really far out there compared to most of the hospitals and businesses where your law degree would come in handy, with maybe one or two exceptions. And it doesn't really change after he finishes school, either, since most of the places where he'd work would probably be further north and/or west than Mesa (I'm thinking Scottsdale and the Arcadia/Biltmore area of Phoenix.)

Two questions: Is proximity to your workplace and his school important? How important?

Also, just out of curiosity, whereabouts in Minnesota are you from? I'm considering UMinn for law school.

denbar

Re: Arizona, Kentucky, Pennsylvania Legal Markets?

Postby denbar » Sat May 14, 2011 2:54 pm

MentalGopher wrote:The Phoenix legal market itself is really, really small for a big city. BUT you have a great advantage because there are lots of hospitals (including 3 Mayo Clinics, by the way) and lots of health care-related industries out here.

I know I am bumping an old post for no good reason other than to nitpick, but there is only one Mayo Clinic "clinic" here in Arizona (Scottsdale). There is a Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix (which is JCAH compliant hospital... like the second one in Jacksonville... and not a registered "clinic" at all like the original clinic in Rochester or the one in Scottsdale), as well as a "satellite health and welness delivery campus" near the Peoria/Sun City boarder. All of these campuses put together constitute the Mayo Clinic Arizona Health Network.

Trust me, I have family working at the hospital in Phoenix and it is their job to know the differences between such techincal 'differentiations' as it takes different levels of licensure to open/maintain a hospital vs. clinic. Maybe I should get a job in healthcare based law, as I just now realized the connections I have, much less general knowledge of the field/industry... DUH!

Return to “Legal Employment”