Will retiring baby boomers help hiring?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
odon59

Will retiring baby boomers help hiring?

Postby odon59 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:46 am

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but my question is this: With the older crop of baby boomers around their mid-60's right now and a huge wave of them in their late 50's/early 60's, should we expect a significant amount of retiring lawyers in the next few years? If so, would this create a relative increase in the hiring demands for firms in order to replace them?

In my current field (defense/aerospace) none of my colleagues are from that generation, so I don't have any personal data to go by. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Will retiring baby boomers help hiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:54 am

And retiring business as well.

I currently work for a financial services company, so as boomers retire, it seems to be a good thing.

Its all very relative to what type of law you want to practice (or business you want to be in).

Postby 270910 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:30 am

No.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:28 pm

I have heard older lawyers speculate that this will help over the next 5-10 years. Pure speculation though.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Lawyers easily and often work into their 70s. Seeing as people's long term investments were slammed over the past couple years (housing, stocks, etc), private practice attorneys who of course have no pension will undoubtedly be working well into their golden years.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:23 pm

SteelReserve wrote: Seeing as people's long term investments were slammed over the past couple years (housing, stocks, etc), private practice attorneys who of course have no pension will undoubtedly be working well into their golden years.

This.

The fact that this hit right as the boomers were reaching retirement age, wiping their nest eggs out at the worst possible time, while their children were simultaneously graduating from college makes this the perfect storm for unemployment.

Posner

Postby Posner » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:26 pm

Last edited by Posner on Tue May 11, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Many, if not most, large firms have a mandatory retirement age.

Interesting, I did not know that. The follow-up question is, what age is that?

And a comment would be, think about what a small slice of the legal market partners at biglaw take up.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:46 pm

Edited: Removed to not pass along bad information. Don't worry though, my misinformation was quoted for posterity below.
Last edited by TheBigMediocre on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swester

Postby swester » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:53 pm

odon59 wrote:Not sure if this has been discussed before, but my question is this: With the older crop of baby boomers around their mid-60's right now and a huge wave of them in their late 50's/early 60's, should we expect a significant amount of retiring lawyers in the next few years? If so, would this create a relative increase in the hiring demands for firms in order to replace them?

In my current field (defense/aerospace) none of my colleagues are from that generation, so I don't have any personal data to go by. Thoughts?

Probably should have gone to med school instead. Now there's an industry with increasing demand from aging baby boomers.

Kochel

Postby Kochel » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:02 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:
SteelReserve wrote:

And a comment would be, think about what a small slice of the legal market partners at biglaw take up.

Fat fucking chance of a mandatory retirement age. You might be highly pressured to retire/go "of counsel" but you can't be forced to retire.

If a firm's management committee can expel a partner (most do), it likely also has the ability to designate a partner as "retired" and adopt relevant policies for such designations.

In terms of a big wave of Biglaw retirements, though, don't expect it: in the 1960s and 1970s, Biglaw firms didn't hire nearly the number of lawyers they do now. The bulge in partner ranks for Biglaw is in lawyers who are 10+ years away from retirement; they are the partners responsible for the big buildup in Biglaw revenues and associate hiring.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:04 pm

It won't help for ppl wanting biglaw. It will probably free up some Govt jobs, though.

Postby 270910 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:09 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:
SteelReserve wrote:

Fat fucking chance of a mandatory retirement age. You might be highly pressured to retire/go "of counsel" but you can't be forced to retire.

TheBigMedioocre: You are wrong. Many big firms have explicit, black letter, mandatory retirement ages.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:10 pm

disco_barred wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:
SteelReserve wrote:

TheBigMedioocre: You are wrong. Many big firms have explicit, black letter, mandatory retirement ages.

Whoops! Ignore me then, sorry. I just thought it was pretty universal that you couldn't force people to retire because it would be age discrimination. My bad.

Postby 270910 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:12 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:Whoops! Ignore me then, sorry. I just thought it was pretty universal that you couldn't force people to retire because it would be age discrimination. My bad.

It's all good. I was shocked and pushed back when I found out too. What a weird practice.

smov_operator

Postby smov_operator » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:16 pm

Whoops! Ignore me then, sorry. I just thought it was pretty universal that you couldn't force people to retire because it would be age discrimination. My bad.

According to the The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
Mandatory retirement based on age is permitted for: * Executives over age 65 in high policy-making positions who are entitled to a pension over a minimum yearly amount.

Wiki Knows All

Kochel

Postby Kochel » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:18 pm

disco_barred wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:Whoops! Ignore me then, sorry. I just thought it was pretty universal that you couldn't force people to retire because it would be age discrimination. My bad.

It's all good. I was shocked and pushed back when I found out too. What a weird practice.

What's even weirder is that, depending on the firm and its partnership agreement, retired partners may face personal liability if the firm implodes or faces a big monetary liability.

Postby 270910 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:30 pm

smov_operator wrote:Whoops! Ignore me then, sorry. I just thought it was pretty universal that you couldn't force people to retire because it would be age discrimination. My bad.

Mandatory retirement based on age is permitted for: * Executives over age 65 in high policy-making positions who are entitled to a pension over a minimum yearly amount.

Wiki Knows All

Partnership != employment

smov_operator

Postby smov_operator » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:35 pm

disco_barred wrote:
smov_operator wrote:Whoops! Ignore me then, sorry. I just thought it was pretty universal that you couldn't force people to retire because it would be age discrimination. My bad.

Wiki Knows All

Partnership != employment

In general a partnership is considered self-employment. However, many law firms write mandatory retirement clauses into the partnership agreement.

Return to “Legal Employment”