SOUTH Carolina Legal Market?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Maccoux16

SOUTH Carolina Legal Market?

Postby Maccoux16 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:20 pm

Hello,

I am a 2L at the U of MN Law School and my fiance and I are thinking about moving elsewhere to start our careers (he is a police officer). We both have grown up in MN. He wants to go back to school for PGA Management, which has 20 colleges that offer that degree throughout the country. We are thinking about South Carolina... does anyone live there? How is the legal market? How it daily life in SC? Anything is helpful!!!

Thanks for any help/advice!!!

Bert

Re: North Carolina Legal Market?

Postby Bert » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:23 pm

Are you asking about North Carolina or South Carolina? Your subject line says NC but the text of your post says SC.

Bert

Re: SOUTH Carolina Legal Market?

Postby Bert » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:24 pm

Sorry, don't know much about SC.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:33 pm

I've talked to a few South Carolina lawyers and many of the established ones are USC grads. USC was the only law school in the state for a while, and many people in positions of power are USC grads. You're gonna get some quizzical looks coming from U of MN. Do you have any previous connections to the area?

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:11 pm

I'm from NC, but I have heard from others that the SC legal market is very, very insular. USC and now Charleston grads dominate everything. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you might have a tough time.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:14 pm

Last edited by eandy on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peekay80

Postby Peekay80 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:15 pm

Have many friends in the market, and can agree with the perception that it is quite difficult to get into the market without previous connections. Had a guy from Emory Law have a tough time...tough, not impossible..just be prepared to accept a job not at the top of your dream jobs.

Maccoux16

Postby Maccoux16 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:49 am

Okay, thanks guys. That is kind of what I have been hearing... just wanted to check.

Return to “Legal Employment”