Real World vs. T14

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Non-Lawyer Lawyer

Re: Real World vs. T14

Postby Non-Lawyer Lawyer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:04 pm

[quote="TheBigMediocre"]Which role are they typecasting you for?:

1. The Minority
2. The Hurting Jock
3. The Outspoken Homosexual
4. The Easygoing Homosexual
5. The Close-Minded Rural Guy
6. The Angsty Musician
7. The Mentally Unstable Slut
8. The Person in a "Serious" LDR.

Feel free to add any that I forgot.[/quote]

Hillarious!

Besides the dude running for DA, there was also a gay kid on Real World: Hawaii who went to Harvard Law School. He was kind of an asshole on the show, but I'm assuming that he got a decent job somewhere.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:05 pm

Just a heads up, I had a friend who was being cast for a reality TV show (not a RW type thing, more of a Top Chef type show). The producers were really laying it on thick, essentially giving him the "wink, wink, you're totally in." He was essentially convinced that he was chosen, and maybe he was for a while, but ended up cut a week before filming after taking leave from work, etc. Whoever made the final casting decisions just wanted something else, and TV can be very fickle. So, if you end up pursuing RW (which by the way, imo, is a trashy horrible show and a god awful decision) you should at least put a deposit down for school. You never know what might fall through.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:13 pm

Wooster33 wrote:
I would say that if you really want to be a lawyer you should stay away from the Real World. If you instead want to be a media celebutard, then RW sounds like a good plan.

+1

And I would add: the fact that you are seriously entertaining being on RW is pretty good evidence you don't want to be a lawyer.

This makes no sense to be. Staying away from real world not to damage you career and being interested in it because it fun does not mean I don't want to be a lawyer. RW is 4 months. Law is for life. Since when is being on a TV show preclude not wanting to be a lawyer. LR fail man.

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:17 pm

Law school.

WrappedUpInBooks

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:22 pm

That Harvard Law student:

--LinkRemoved--

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:25 pm

jks289 wrote:Just a heads up, I had a friend who was being cast for a reality TV show (not a RW type thing, more of a Top Chef type show). The producers were really laying it on thick, essentially giving him the "wink, wink, you're totally in." He was essentially convinced that he was chosen, and maybe he was for a while, but ended up cut a week before filming after taking leave from work, etc. Whoever made the final casting decisions just wanted something else, and TV can be very fickle. So, if you end up pursuing RW (which by the way, imo, is a trashy horrible show and a god awful decision) you should at least put a deposit down for school. You never know what might fall through.

I understand this. If you read up I already mentioned that I deposited at my school and have picked and paid security deposit for a living arrangement. My life is moving on regardless. I believe the season I am interviewing for would begin for a year or so. Thanks for the heads up tho.

WrappedUpInBooks wrote:That Harvard Law student:

--LinkRemoved--

Nice doesn't mention RW anywhere in his summary tho haha.

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:27 pm

They made Justin look like a complete ass that season. Ruthie's drunk ass had nothing on him. I liked him, though. And of course, it's not in his bio. Why would he put that shit in there?

shmoo597

Postby shmoo597 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:39 am

Real World....I'd def watch for the TLSer

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:06 am

WrappedUpInBooks wrote:That Harvard Law student:

--LinkRemoved--

Of Counsel after 7 years? Somebody couldn't hack the partner track.

Wooster33

Postby Wooster33 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wooster33 wrote:
I would say that if you really want to be a lawyer you should stay away from the Real World. If you instead want to be a media celebutard, then RW sounds like a good plan.

+1

And I would add: the fact that you are seriously entertaining being on RW is pretty good evidence you don't want to be a lawyer.

This makes no sense to be. Staying away from real world not to damage you career and being interested in it because it fun does not mean I don't want to be a lawyer. RW is 4 months. Law is for life. Since when is being on a TV show preclude not wanting to be a lawyer. LR fail man.

You are pretty naive. First, you need to understand that you will be portrayed as an ass on the show (even if you think of yourself as a pretty decent guy--creating drama and unfair editing makes good TV) and you will forever be known as "that guy from the RW who did XXX." That is bad enough even if you're not in a profession like the law. Like it or not, fair or not, whatever you do on the show will follow you throughout your legal career and it won't be a help. My exposure to the show tells me that it is only good if you want the fame--nobody comes off smelling likes roses--that isn't the point of the show! The fact that you are willing to seek this sort of petty fame at the cost of your legal career tells me you are not serious about being a lawyer. That isn't a bad thing--law students and lawyers are a bunch of Dbags. But it is what it is.

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:31 pm

Go for it! You don't want to go through life regretting the things you've never done.

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:36 pm

The producers of shows like that cast people with borderline psychological disorders, because crazy people are more entertaining. You should pray that they say no.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:26 am

I'd email Justin Deabler and see what obstacles he had to face after the show.

His email is on the link

--LinkRemoved--

Return to “Legal Employment”