Real World vs. T14

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Real World vs. T14

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:29 am

I was admitted to a T14 that I have deposited to attend in the fall. I have been interviewing with MTV for real world and they seem pretty damn interested. Not sure when or where the next season will be filming but if accepted would any of you consider attending given my opportunities? Would it be worth say doing 1L then taking a year off and returning after. Or using 1L summer for this? I feel like this would be like once a lifetime and would be a lot of fun but don't want to jeopardize anything for a legal career. You can also make decent money if you market yourself correctly after the show. Any thoughts are appreciated.

D. H2Oman

Re: Real World vs. T14

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:32 am

Definitely the Real World. Be Interesting on the show so you can get on RW/RR Challenge (Real world equivalent of BIglaw)

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:36 am

Think about the fact that any stupid thing you do will be on film and potential employers will be able to find this information (as well as potential clients). If you have enough faith in yourself to remain pretty professional, go for it, but I doubt MTV would be willing to cast you if you didn't seem like the type to do ridic things.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:40 am

Even if you do something stupid on the show, can't you just play it off as "acting"?

I say go for it.

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:42 am

Christ, live a little. we're too young to act so fucking old and dried up.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:42 am

Georgiana wrote:Think about the fact that any stupid thing you do will be on film and potential employers will be able to find this information (as well as potential clients). If you have enough faith in yourself to remain pretty professional, go for it, but I doubt MTV would be willing to cast you if you didn't seem like the type to do ridic things.

Seconded, have you seen the direction The Real World has taken in the past 10-15 years? Do you really think that being a part of something like that would be beneficial to your law career?

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:49 am

Which role are they typecasting you for?:

1. The Minority
2. The Hurting Jock
3. The Outspoken Homosexual
4. The Easygoing Homosexual
5. The Close-Minded Rural Guy
6. The Angsty Musician
7. The Mentally Unstable Slut
8. The Person in a "Serious" LDR.

Feel free to add any that I forgot.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was admitted to a T14 that I have deposited to attend in the fall. I have been interviewing with MTV for real world and they seem pretty damn interested. Not sure when or where the next season will be filming but if accepted would any of you consider attending given my opportunities? Would it be worth say doing 1L then taking a year off and returning after. Or using 1L summer for this? I feel like this would be like once a lifetime and would be a lot of fun but don't want to jeopardize anything for a legal career. You can also make decent money if you market yourself correctly after the show. Any thoughts are appreciated.
The time off wouldn't be a big deal, but I'd be worried about jeopardizing chances at most professional careers, not just legal. My understanding is that producers go out of their way to instigate and/or selectively edit stuff to sensationalize, so even if you behave yourself reasonably well, it may not come across that way. Even if you're unusually level-headed, etc. at least a few of your housemates will probably idiots/assholes (based on limited viewing of prior seasons) who will be encouraged to provoke you. Even the housemates who aren't jerks will want to (and be encouraged by producers) to do raunchy stuff like hot tub, group showers, get hammered, hook up and you will either have to be the lame person who never participates or be filmed doing stuff like that. If you get somewhat "known", then people who have dirt on you (compromising pics, etc) will have incentive to share it. And, unfair as it is, if you're female, you will probably be judged & scrutinized a million times worse.

Large companies tend to be quite conservative, and from what I've heard, law firms are even more so. Plus w/googling of interviewees being so widespread, it's pretty much certain that non-RW-viewers will find out. I think you should consider very very carefully before doing it.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:55 am

DELETED

Go for it!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:15 am

Georgiana wrote:Think about the fact that any stupid thing you do will be on film and potential employers will be able to find this information (as well as potential clients). If you have enough faith in yourself to remain pretty professional, go for it, but I doubt MTV would be willing to cast you if you didn't seem like the type to do ridic things.

This is kind of my initial feeling. I can ride low and still party but act professional meaning not donig anything illegal or stupid. The last part is what bothers me. I am sure MTV will be trying to instigate problems to create drama.

ggocat wrote:Even if you do something stupid on the show, can't you just play it off as "acting"?

I say go for it.

I don't know. I think it depends on what that is. I would definitely want to be more cautious then trying to play it off on acting. Wondering if being on the show could completely preclude a healthy career.

pollaclc wrote:Christ, live a little. we're too young to act so fucking old and dried up.

Exactly. But liek I said above I dont want to jeopardize anything. This is social proof for life and would make going out after the show fun with the minifame you attain but not worth killing potential future jobs, political aspirations etc. But then again look at Raegan. :D

missvik218 wrote:

Seconded, have you seen the direction The Real World has taken in the past 10-15 years? Do you really think that being a part of something like that would be beneficial to your law career?

Never said that it would be beneficial. I just don't want it to jeopardize. Couldn't it just be neutral. Hey maybe I can parlay connections and experience into entertainment law or something. I'm open to it.

TheBigMediocre wrote:Which role are they typecasting you for?:

1. The Minority
2. The Hurting Jock
3. The Outspoken Homosexual
4. The Easygoing Homosexual
5. The Close-Minded Rural Guy
6. The Angsty Musician
7. The Mentally Unstable Slut
8. The Person in a "Serious" LDR.

Feel free to add any that I forgot.

From the list you made that would be #1 but I also fit the in relationship that is pretty serious category, initial misconception of being a player type persona. That's what they have been telling me at least.

Aeroplane wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was admitted to a T14 that I have deposited to attend in the fall. I have been interviewing with MTV for real world and they seem pretty damn interested. Not sure when or where the next season will be filming but if accepted would any of you consider attending given my opportunities? Would it be worth say doing 1L then taking a year off and returning after. Or using 1L summer for this? I feel like this would be like once a lifetime and would be a lot of fun but don't want to jeopardize anything for a legal career. You can also make decent money if you market yourself correctly after the show. Any thoughts are appreciated.
The time off wouldn't be a big deal, but I'd be worried about jeopardizing chances at most professional careers, not just legal. My understanding is that producers go out of their way to instigate and/or selectively edit stuff to sensationalize, so even if you behave yourself reasonably well, it may not come across that way. Even if you're unusually level-headed, etc. at least a few of your housemates will probably idiots/assholes (based on limited viewing of prior seasons) who will be encouraged to provoke you. Even the housemates who aren't jerks will want to (and be encouraged by producers) to do raunchy stuff like hot tub, group showers, get hammered, hook up and you will either have to be the lame person who never participates or be filmed doing stuff like that. If you get somewhat "known", then people who have dirt on you (compromising pics, etc) will have incentive to share it. And, unfair as it is, if you're female, you will probably be judged & scrutinized a million times worse.

Large companies tend to be quite conservative, and from what I've heard, law firms are even more so. Plus w/googling of interviewees being so widespread, it's pretty much certain that non-RW-viewers will find out. I think you should consider very very carefully before doing it.

I'm a male btw so not sure how that whole thing would play out but this is pretty much my worries summed up. Even if they misconstrue the message a bit I'd imagine being level headed that it couldn't be THAT bad but maybe I am being naive. Would you run away from this then?

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:19 am

This guy was on Real World and is a DA in Wisconsin, running for Congress. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Duffy_%28Wisconsin%29

I remember some stories about lawyers/law students going on Survivor.
http://abovethelaw.com/2008/08/another- ... -herschel/
--LinkRemoved--

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a male btw so not sure how that whole thing would play out but this is pretty much my worries summed up. Even if they misconstrue the message a bit I'd imagine being level headed that it couldn't be THAT bad but maybe I am being naive. Would you run away from this then?
I'd run away from it for many reasons, including those. I'm not saying you should rule it out completely. Being a guy, you probably won't be judged as harshly and I think it's possible to come off OK. For example, I think Vinny from Jersey Shore came off like a decent sort (I didn't watch every episode so may have missed something). But the people in charge of casting, filming, and editing have every incentive to play up drama and I believe past cast members have complained of certain situations that were supposedly totally twisted in the edits (though such complaints have to be taken w/grain of salt since there's self-interest involved). I dunno. Maybe wait to see if you actually get cast, then see if you can get in touch w/past cast members & get the inside scoop?

PoorOrpheus

Postby PoorOrpheus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:42 am

IMHO, you should absolutely do it. It seems like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and something you will regret not doing forty years down the line when you realized you sold an adventurous life to some unknown future boss.

With that said, I am not an exhibitionist and would never personally do the show. Plus, you have so little control over editing. I just think that when an opportunity to create incredible memories (and potential future profit) is at hand, and you're interested in it (which you obviously are because you've presumably gone beyond just a casual application in the casting process) you should take it with little consideration to how the man will perceive it.

BTW, what type of legal job are you looking for anyway?

eudaimondaimon

Postby eudaimondaimon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:44 am

I'd be liable not to hire someone just for admitting watching The Real World, so...

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:52 am

For personal statement reasons, definitely RW

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:55 am

ggocat wrote:This guy was on Real World and is a DA in Wisconsin, running for Congress. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Duffy_%28Wisconsin%29

I remember some stories about lawyers/law students going on Survivor.
http://abovethelaw.com/2008/08/another- ... -herschel/
--LinkRemoved--

This is perfect and very interesting. SO it is possible to not jeopardize everything even though the sample is small it shows there is hope. Pretty impressive career for that guy. I never saw that season as I've maybe watch 8 real world episodes in my entire life. But maybe I will try to find these on youtube or something and see how he carried himself.

To Aeroplane: Definitely waiting to see if I get on the show obviously. I am still deposited at school and have an apt locked up with security and put in notice at my corporate job. I am planning on moving forward with my life and into law school but like to consider things and plan for possibilities or before I fly out to LA. My next interview will be recorded and can already air at the beginning of the show. So even though I am not on yet I have signed legalese and I am doing things that require me to think about the whole process already.

PoorOrpheus wrote:IMHO, you should absolutely do it. It seems like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and something you will regret not doing forty years down the line when you realized you sold an adventurous life to some unknown future boss.

With that said, I am not an exhibitionist and would never personally do the show. Plus, you have so little control over editing. I just think that when an opportunity to create incredible memories (and potential future profit) is at hand, and you're interested in it (which you obviously are because you've presumably gone beyond just a casual application in the casting process) you should take it with little consideration to how the man will perceive it.

BTW, what type of legal job are you looking for anyway?

I feel this way as well. I have one year left that I would qualify to audition then will be too old. This is a now or never type thing as next year I would be in school and unavailable. Not sure what you mean by exhibitionist but I am not trying to attract attention just because,. I actually think the shoe could be really fun and lead to other fun activities (RR etc.) You never know where a path will take you in life and maybe I would meet some connects on the show that would lead me in my legal career. I am a big believer of networking with whoever and whenever you can. You just never know.

With that said I am looking to a well paying job first. I will have about $200k of debt or more leaving law school where I currently stand so I would want to pay that off to escape indentured servitude. After that I am pretty open. I have interests in politics, corporate business/law, owning a business, m&a etc.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:01 pm

Dude. Imagine yourself, four years from now, sitting in your cubicle doing doc review, getting your small slice of the case edited and hacked up by partners, having little to no meaningful purpose for your work under the flourescent lights as you prepare for another saturday spent editing a makework memo in exchange for the oh so wonderful feeling of getting paid 160k so you can have a nice apartment but still can't do something cool like own a private jet.

Every day that will be your life and every day you will ask "sweet lord why the hell did I pass up the Real World for this?

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:02 pm

OP, keep in mind that season 8 of the Real World was nothing like the recent seasons in terms of alcoholism, partying, and outright stupidity. Also bare in mind that according to his bio (--LinkRemoved--) he came out of law school with a job working for his dad.

I would say that if you really want to be a lawyer you should stay away from the Real World. If you instead want to be a media celebutard, then RW sounds like a good plan.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:03 pm

Real World. Definitely. Just don't be a douche.

profs<3mycomments

Postby profs<3mycomments » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From the list you made that would be #1 but I also fit the in relationship that is pretty serious category, initial misconception of being a player type persona. That's what they have been telling me at least.

Haha you're the one who cheats

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To Aeroplane: Definitely waiting to see if I get on the show obviously. I am still deposited at school and have an apt locked up with security and put in notice at my corporate job. I am planning on moving forward with my life and into law school but like to consider things and plan for possibilities or before I fly out to LA. My next interview will be recorded and can already air at the beginning of the show. So even though I am not on yet I have signed legalese and I am doing things that require me to think about the whole process already.

If you're still at your corporate job, are there any execs or HR folks or someone in legal who deals w/law firms (like a department GC) that you could talk to about it frankly & ask for input? Obviously they're not biglaw people but could still be helpful.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:38 pm

lol i bet you don't get the real world thing anyway

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:49 pm

HYSCCN > Real World > MVPBD > RW/RR Challenge > G > True Life: I Live in a Polar Bear Sanctuary > C

/thread

Wooster33

Postby Wooster33 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:56 pm

I would say that if you really want to be a lawyer you should stay away from the Real World. If you instead want to be a media celebutard, then RW sounds like a good plan.

+1

And I would add: the fact that you are seriously entertaining being on RW is pretty good evidence you don't want to be a lawyer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:00 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:For personal statement reasons, definitely RW

Personal statement is done. Read above, already admitted and deposited at T14.
SteelReserve wrote:Dude. Imagine yourself, four years from now, sitting in your cubicle doing doc review, getting your small slice of the case edited and hacked up by partners, having little to no meaningful purpose for your work under the flourescent lights as you prepare for another saturday spent editing a makework memo in exchange for the oh so wonderful feeling of getting paid 160k so you can have a nice apartment but still can't do something cool like own a private jet.

Every day that will be your life and every day you will ask "sweet lord why the hell did I pass up the Real World for this?

Transposing much? :P I will never allow this. I would pay off debt and pursue something else if it came to this. Hopefully not. scary though.

I understand realworld is evolving and becoming more dramatic and reckless but is there no hope for being able to pull through it?

profs<3mycomments wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

From the list you made that would be #1 but I also fit the in relationship that is pretty serious category, initial misconception of being a player type persona. That's what they have been telling me at least.

Haha you're the one who cheats

Nope. this will not happen.

Aeroplane wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To Aeroplane: Definitely waiting to see if I get on the show obviously. I am still deposited at school and have an apt locked up with security and put in notice at my corporate job. I am planning on moving forward with my life and into law school but like to consider things and plan for possibilities or before I fly out to LA. My next interview will be recorded and can already air at the beginning of the show. So even though I am not on yet I have signed legalese and I am doing things that require me to think about the whole process already.

If you're still at your corporate job, are there any execs or HR folks or someone in legal who deals w/law firms (like a department GC) that you could talk to about it frankly & ask for input? Obviously they're not biglaw people but could still be helpful.

I actually had a luncheon with the VP & general counsel. I can maybe shoot him an email and see how he responds but that's in the workplace. I may come back here someday. Not sure how professional that would sound.

underdawg wrote:lol i bet you don't get the real world thing anyway

Thats a possibility. I bet youd watch though if you knew I was the guy from TLS.

joeshmo39 wrote:HYSCCN > Real World > MVPBD > RW/RR Challenge > G > True Life: I Live in a Polar Bear Sanctuary > C

/thread

Well I would be in the MVPBD bracket so your logic says real world, but funny. Polar bear sanctuary haha. Suits Cornell tho.

Return to “Legal Employment”