Nepotism?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Nepotism?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:12 am

My brother is a third year associate at a V100 and I'm going to attend BMVP this Fall. I asked him if he would put in a word for me with the hiring partner about a 1L SA position and he said that a) he has no influence on hiring decisions and b) his presence at the firm would actually harm my chances because it wants to avoid giving the impression of nepotism. I understand that he doesn't hire associates, but I have a hard time believing he couldn't say something that would help me out. Is he just being lazy/scared to ask or is his comment about nepotism actually true?

Anonymous User

Re: Nepotism?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:17 am

He would have utterly no bearing on the hiring process, and his suggestion could in fact put him in disfavor with partners who think he's only suggesting you get hried because you're his brother.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:02 am

Sounds like you have a crappy brother or he really thinks you are a dumb.

Postby 270910 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:11 am

There is very little he could do.

However, when they ask you "Why firm _________" if you get an interview, or when you write a cover letter, you should absolutely say your brother works there! It will work in your favor.

But a third year associate has 0 pull, and so your brother trying to use pull might well in fact come across negatively at the firm.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:18 am

It's also possible that your brother's not doing too great there and feels his own position is precarious, but is embarassed to tell you that outright. If that's the case, a word from or mention of him would hurt rather than help you.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:He would have utterly no bearing on the hiring process, and his suggestion could in fact put him in disfavor with partners who think he's only suggesting you get hired because you're his brother.

This is true, at least the first part. Here's what you could ask for that might help you: ask for him to provide an introduction to someone at the firm in a practice area you're interested in, and ask that person for an informational interview. It would give you something to talk about when you later apply at the firm, it might provide you with some useful info about the firm/practice area, and might give you an acquaintance at the firm that isn't your brother.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:My brother is a third year associate at a V100 and I'm going to attend BMVP this Fall. I asked him if he would put in a word for me with the hiring partner about a 1L SA position and he said that a) he has no influence on hiring decisions and b) his presence at the firm would actually harm my chances because it wants to avoid giving the impression of nepotism. I understand that he doesn't hire associates, but I have a hard time believing he couldn't say something that would help me out. Is he just being lazy/scared to ask or is his comment about nepotism actually true?

Depends on the firm and its culture. Some firms are open to hiring recommendations from within, others are not. Plus, it depends on your brother's relationship with the hiring partner.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:05 am

Here's what you could ask for that might help you: ask for him to provide an introduction to someone at the firm in a practice area you're interested in, and ask that person for an informational interview. It would give you something to talk about when you later apply at the firm, it might provide you with some useful info about the firm/practice area, and might give you an acquaintance at the firm that isn't your brother.

TITCR

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:06 am

Some firms are very serious about anti-nepotism. Even if your brother were a partner, it probably wouldn't help at all at some firms.

Postby 270910 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:23 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:Some firms are very serious about anti-nepotism.

Funniest thing I've ever read!

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:32 am

disco_barred wrote:

Because?

I'm not saying most firms have clauses like the OP mentioned, but of those that do, some take them very seriously.

Postby 270910 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:43 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

Because?

I'm not saying most firms have clauses like the OP mentioned, but of those that do, some take them very seriously.

In Arabic, the word for 'legal industry' is interchangeable with the word for nepotism.

The Latin roots of the word 'nepotism' stand for 'legal' and 'industry'.

Some remote Peruvian tribes don't have a word for nepotism, they just call it 'legal industry'.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:45 am

disco_barred wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

Because?

In Arabic, the word for 'legal industry' is interchangeable with the word for nepotism.

The Latin roots of the word 'nepotism' stand for 'legal' and 'industry'.

Some remote Peruvian tribes don't have a word for nepotism, they just call it 'legal industry'.

10-4... I thought I was missing something obvious in my post. Interesting fact you've posted there.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:13 pm

have your brother forward your cover letter and resume to the HR person doing the initial screening so that that person will not automatically throw it away. It's the same as emailing an alum from your school or someone you meet at a networking function and having them forward the stuff for you.

But don't ask him to do the awkward thing of talking to the hiring partner about getting you a job. Even if he does have pull, it's awkward to ask for such a favor especially since it's 1L summer--if you then don't go back to firm your 2L year that'll look poorly on your brother. Plus your brother will have to constantly worry about how your performance will reflect on him. I can understand having your brother pull strings if you're a 2L with no job lined up b/c of the economy, but for 1L summer that's pushing it.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:29 pm

A'nold wrote:Sounds like you have a crappy brother or he really thinks you are a dumb.

Postby 270910 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:22 pm

A'nold wrote:
A'nold wrote:Sounds like you have a crappy brother or he really thinks you are a dumb.

:lol:

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:46 am

Firms are set up with somewhat rigid internal hiring comittee that people who are outside of it are not supposed to be theoretically able to influence. And it's true that there are some firms that have express policies to prevent even the possibility of nepotism.

In practice, if your connection was a major client or a senior partner (or, as is the case with a few firms, the guy with the name on the building), it would be a different story. But no, an associate isn't going to be able to get this done for you.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:16 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”