How can I find where graduates from my school are working? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How can I find where graduates from my school are working?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:17 pm

I know there is a website to find this but I forgot what it was called. Thanks in advance!

dakatz

Gold

Re: How can I find where graduates from my school are working?

Post by dakatz » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:18 pm

martindale.com

swester

New

Post by swester » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:27 am

If your school was a TTT, you can check either (a) McDonalds or (b) the sub-basement of a giant law firm.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:35 am

Some state bar websites also let you search the member directory by where the attorneys went to school and will identify where the attorneys are working.

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:16 am

Unless your school publishes full employment lists of where graduates go, then you're left resorting to opt-in databases like Martindale-Hubbell and Linked-In. Those are probably the two most prominent... Martindale includes well over half of all practicing attorneys in the country, and I expect most of them list the name of their degree-granting school (though admittedly we weren't that thorough in our analysis.)

Are you a current student or just an accepted? If current, go to career services and ask them to search/provide you with people in whichever market you're looking at. If you're an accepted, I urge you to contact the law school and ask for information. Explain in your own words that you're deciding between schools and that you are hoping they can provide you with some more specific information on alumni working in different cities. You'd be surprised how much information the schools collect about their graduates and could potentially release to you in an attempt to get your investment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blackacre

New

Post by blackacre » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:34 pm

swester wrote:If your school was a TTT, you can check either (a) McDonalds or (b) the sub-basement of a giant law firm.
Such an idiot. Did you hear that info from your friends on this forum?

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

http://www.haynesboone.com/katie_chatterton/

http://www.kslaw.com/bio/Adam_Robison

http://www.morrisoncohen.com/bios/thompson.htm

That was just a quick little search. So, your dumb.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:44 pm

blackacre wrote: Such an idiot. Did you hear that info from your friends on this forum?

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

Such an idiot. You managed to find a guy with extensive prior experience in the multinational energy industry who is fluent in Spanish and people who graduated at the tippity top of their classes (1 cum laude, 2 summa cum laudes, and 1 magna cum laude). You're looking at incredibly atypical examples in an attempt to justify your implied point, which I gather is that many people who go to TTTs and T4s still get big firm jobs, when in reality only the very best do. The problem is not everyone can be the very best. So, you're dumb.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:50 pm

blackacre wrote:your dumb.
rad law wrote:you're dumb.
That was bothering me.

blackacre

New

Post by blackacre » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:06 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
blackacre wrote:your dumb.
rad law wrote:you're dumb.
That was bothering me.
Sorry, I forgot to finish my sentence. I meant to say "your dumb ass looks stupid in front of family and friends" :lol:
rad law wrote:
blackacre wrote: Such an idiot. Did you hear that info from your friends on this forum?

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

Such an idiot. You managed to find a guy with extensive prior experience in the multinational energy industry who is fluent in Spanish and people who graduated at the tippity top of their classes (1 cum laude, 2 summa cum laudes, and 1 magna cum laude). You're looking at incredibly atypical examples in an attempt to justify your implied point, which I gather is that many people who go to TTTs and T4s still get big firm jobs, when in reality only the very best do. The problem is not everyone can be the very best. So, you're dumb.

I mean, make all the excuses or qualifiers you want. Like I said, I spent two minutes to search for these schools and look what I found? The point being, people on this forum think that going to a 3rd or 4th tier school means you wont get a good job, which isn't the case. My school (bottom T1) is filled with T14 grads that don't make anything and drive shittier cars than mine. It works both way. Do you really think your degree is going to matter after 5 years of practice? "well he hasn't done shit in terms of practice, but heeeey, he did graduate from Harvard a few years back" :roll: Give me a break.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:18 pm

blackacre wrote: My school (bottom T1) is filled with T14 grads that don't make anything and drive shittier cars than mine.
Are you talking about professors? Law professors make a lot of money for what they do. The average assistant professor makes about $150,000 T1-T4 (regardless of the institution). The average pay for full professors varies, but Michigan's average is $254,000.

Don't let the crappy cars fool you.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:03 pm

blackacre wrote: I mean, make all the excuses or qualifiers you want. Like I said, I spent two minutes to search for these schools and look what I found? The point being, people on this forum think that going to a 3rd or 4th tier school means you wont get a good job, which isn't the case. My school (bottom T1) is filled with T14 grads that don't make anything and drive shittier cars than mine. It works both way. Do you really think your degree is going to matter after 5 years of practice? "well he hasn't done shit in terms of practice, but heeeey, he did graduate from Harvard a few years back" :roll: Give me a break.
Didn't say you definitely wouldn't but you increase your chances exponentially by going to a more prestigious school. That helps you get a really good first job, which help you get an even better 2nd job, etc. If you go TTT and aren't top of your class, you have a great chance of getting a mediocre job and will have the worst of both worlds, low income and shitty job (example: document review) that looks bad on a resume and has about 0% prospects for advancement.

blackacre

New

Post by blackacre » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:26 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
blackacre wrote: My school (bottom T1) is filled with T14 grads that don't make anything and drive shittier cars than mine.
Are you talking about professors? Law professors make a lot of money for what they do. The average assistant professor makes about $150,000 T1-T4 (regardless of the institution). The average pay for full professors varies, but Michigan's average is $254,000.

Don't let the crappy cars fool you.
Yes, I was referring to professors. They may make ~$150K but so do a handful of the students they teach as soon as they pass the bar. Again, comparatively, $150K a year for a graduate of a T14 is pretty sad. Especially when you consider that they will top out at this salary and their only opportunity to supplement thier income is to write a book.
rad law wrote:
blackacre wrote: I mean, make all the excuses or qualifiers you want. Like I said, I spent two minutes to search for these schools and look what I found? The point being, people on this forum think that going to a 3rd or 4th tier school means you wont get a good job, which isn't the case. My school (bottom T1) is filled with T14 grads that don't make anything and drive shittier cars than mine. It works both way. Do you really think your degree is going to matter after 5 years of practice? "well he hasn't done shit in terms of practice, but heeeey, he did graduate from Harvard a few years back" :roll: Give me a break.
Didn't say you definitely wouldn't but you increase your chances exponentially by going to a more prestigious school. That helps you get a really good first job, which help you get an even better 2nd job, etc. If you go TTT and aren't top of your class, you have a great chance of getting a mediocre job and will have the worst of both worlds, low income and shitty job (example: document review) that looks bad on a resume and has about 0% prospects for advancement.
Again, I didn’t say that wasn’t the case but people on this forum just feed this idea about the inability to gain meaningful employment unless you go to a T14 school. My point is there are PLENTY of individuals that went to a T3 or T4 school and are doing just fine, and a small percentage even break into big law. On the other side, there are PLENTY of individuals from T14 schools that aren’t on par with their colleagues or what people on these forums believe they should be doing, considering the name listed on their degree.

My problem is that you regurgitate things that you hear on these forums like they are the truth. I know people in Houston and Dallas that did not go to UT, UH, SMU and are still making a killing. So when I hear things like “you can find TTT grads at McDonalds” or “T14 or gtfo” (even when they may be partially in jest” I feel the need to correct them, after I call them an idiot. Anybody who is a TTT grad and is working doesn’t have time to come on here and correct a bunch of (pre) law students on the ways of the legal world. Where you went to law school does not necessarily limit or determine where you will end up for your career.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:36 pm

blackacre wrote: Again, I didn’t say that wasn’t the case but people on this forum just feed this idea about the inability to gain meaningful employment unless you go to a T14 school. My point is there are PLENTY of individuals that went to a T3 or T4 school and are doing just fine, and a small percentage even break into big law. On the other side, there are PLENTY of individuals from T14 schools that aren’t on par with their colleagues or what people on these forums believe they should be doing, considering the name listed on their degree.
My problem is that you created a straw man: "the inability to gain meaningful employment unless you go to a T14 school" and that I have a "T14 or GTFO" attitude. I hold neither of these positions. Then you proceeded to obliterate that straw man. How did LR go for you on the LSAT? Yes, you can get a biglaw job from a TTT and do well in general. However, consider the risks. At my local TTT, Stetson, the traditional jobs of City Attorney, State Attorney, small firms, even Public Defender, etc. aren't available to all but the best Stetson people because of govt. hiring cutbacks and UF/FSU grads taking the remaining few jobs. Bottom half of UF, best law school in Florida, are having a hard time getting any job, much less a meaningful one.

So you don't RC fail, here is my argument. My point is that TTT in this economy is probably a bad investment. You can't try to justify going to a TTT by only looking at the people at the top, the outliers. That's silly. If you really want to gauge a school, ask how well people are doing at the median. At Stetson, they don't get jobs. At Vandy, just outside T-14, 55% get NLJ250 and clerkships. Can you not see the difference in risk here?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:01 pm

Among many dumb things being said in this thread, the dumbest of them all is that being a lawl school professor isn't a good job. You really think that $150k for roughly 10 hours a week of work is something to be scoffed at?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:07 pm

Renzo wrote:Among many dumb things being said in this thread, the dumbest of them all is that being a lawl school professor isn't a good job. You really think that $150k for roughly 10 hours a week of work is something to be scoffed at?
This thread is epic.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:21 pm

Renzo wrote:Among many dumb things being said in this thread, the dumbest of them all is that being a lawl school professor isn't a good job. You really think that $150k for roughly 10 hours a week of work is something to be scoffed at?
10 hrs/wk? hahahahaahahahaa

blackacre

New

Post by blackacre » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:07 pm

First, now you have officially said the dumbest thing in this thread. Second, you need to understand what I am saying when I talk about being a professor. Have you ever heard the phrase: "those who can't, teach"? Do you ever wonder why being a "teacher" isn't looked highly upon? It's not because it isn't commendable or valuable. It is because it is easy and pedantic. When your peers are prosecuting cases for the DOJ or drafting multi-million dollar merger deals, the fact that you have described a "breach" or "mens rea" consistently for the last 10 years isn't much to look at.

So, yea I'm sure $150K is a lot of money to you, (kid who has no income) but that isn't anything to professors' peers that make that from one case. Also, how far do you think that $150K goes when you have over $200K in debt and other expenses? Not far enough, I assure you.

So to answer your question, when put into context, yes it is something to be scoffed at.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:10 pm

blackacre wrote:
First, now you have officially said the dumbest thing in this thread. Second, you need to understand what I am saying when I talk about being a professor. Have you ever heard the phrase: "those who can't, teach"? Do you ever wonder why being a "teacher" isn't looked highly upon? It's not because it isn't commendable or valuable. It is because it is easy and pedantic. When your peers are prosecuting cases for the DOJ or drafting multi-million dollar merger deals, the fact that you have described a "breach" or "mens rea" consistently for the last 10 years isn't much to look at.

So, yea I'm sure $150K is a lot of money to you, (kid who has no income) but that isn't anything to professors' peers that make that from one case. Also, how far do you think that $150K goes when you have over $200K in debt and other expenses? Not far enough, I assure you.

So to answer your question, when put into context, yes it is something to be scoffed at.
Stupidest post I have ever seen on TLS, bar none.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:15 pm

disco_barred wrote:
blackacre wrote:

Pretty much. PDaddy=Blackacre?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:03 am

disco_barred wrote:
blackacre wrote:

I don't know. It's definitely the dumbest post I can remember, but ever? Even considering all the affirmative action threads?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:19 am

OK, maybe not the dumbest post ever, but maybe the dumbest poster.

Allow me to demonstrate, via a quick post history search:
blackacre wrote:
Again, I didn’t say that wasn’t the case but people on this forum just feed this idea about the inability to gain meaningful employment unless you go to a T14 school. My point is there are PLENTY of individuals that went to a T3 or T4 school and are doing just fine, and a small percentage even break into big law. On the other side, there are PLENTY of individuals from T14 schools that aren’t on par with their colleagues or what people on these forums believe they should be doing, considering the name listed on their degree.

My problem is that you regurgitate things that you hear on these forums like they are the truth. I know people in Houston and Dallas that did not go to UT, UH, SMU and are still making a killing. So when I hear things like “you can find TTT grads at McDonalds” or “T14 or gtfo” (even when they may be partially in jest” I feel the need to correct them, after I call them an idiot. Anybody who is a TTT grad and is working doesn’t have time to come on here and correct a bunch of (pre) law students on the ways of the legal world. Where you went to law school does not necessarily limit or determine where you will end up for your career.
BUT
blackacre wrote: If you can't do well enough to get into a TLS, you probably wont do well (relatively) in the legal field and will end up on JD Underground 4 months into your job doing "lawyer" work.

I mean, would you want your doctor going to some random med school? It just makes sense to go big or don't go at all in most situations in life.
AND
blackacre wrote:If you cant do what it takes to perform well on the LSAT, you prob wont do well in the legal field or law school. Do something else. I'm trying to help reduce the number of garbage lawyers in the market. One TLS post at a time.
Once again:
people on this forum just feed this idea about the inability to gain meaningful employment unless you go to a T14 school. My point is there are PLENTY of individuals that went to a T3 or T4 school and are doing just fine...

...If you can't do well enough to get into a TLS, you probably wont do well (relatively) in the legal field...

...Where you went to law school does not necessarily limit or determine where you will end up for your career...

...My problem is that you regurgitate things that you hear on these forums like they are the truth.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Shlonster

Bronze

Post by Shlonster » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:13 pm

I am really enjoying this thread.

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:43 pm

Renzo, your research powers are obviously well-honed. As always, your post is a beacon of hope in a grim thread.

Also, can I say that this thread and http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=115724 from last night have made for the two best nights of TLS-lurking in recent memory, bar none?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:51 pm

vexion wrote:Renzo, your research powers are obviously well-honed. As always, your post is a beacon of hope in a grim thread.

Also, can I say that this thread and http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=115724 from last night have made for the two best nights of TLS-lurking in recent memory, bar none?
I left that thread thinking, "this thread has gone to shit--there's a full page of stupid memes."

Man, was I wrong. That's the thread of the year, for sure!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”