Advice on a networking introduction e-mail

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice on a networking introduction e-mail

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:07 pm

Hey guys. I thought I'd pick the TLS brain for an e-mail I'm about to send to a partner at my dream firm.

Background: I'm currently a 0L. The partner is my sophomore year roommate's girlfriend's mom (weak connection, I know, but I'll take what I can get). Roommate's girlfriend told her mom I was extremely interested in her firm and where I am deposited for law school (Her alma mater). Her mom gave her the thumbs up to tell me to contact her.

So this is what I wrote:

"Hi Mrs. (Partner),

Thank you so much for allowing me to contact you, I know you must be incredibly busy.

I'm getting ready to start law school at either (School A) or (School B) this coming Fall and a career in a large firm in (City) is my eventual goal.

If you have the time, I would love the opportunity to meet you for coffee or lunch this summer and ask you some questions about your experiences at (School A) Law, your career with (Big Firm), and the legal market in general. If you would prefer to correspond via e-mail, that is completely understandable.

Again, thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

(My name)
(My phone #)
(My e-mail address)"

Any thoughts for improvement or changes?

presh

Re: Advice on a networking introduction e-mail

Postby presh » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:35 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:41 pm

i would lose the 'thank you' right off the bat (this is only a partner at a law firm, not the president of the united states), and start it off something like 'My name is Jane Doe, and I will be starting school in August at...'

Leave the thanks for the end...the rest is fine

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:43 pm

The comma in your first sentence is incorrect punctuation. You need either a semi-colon or a new sentence.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:53 pm

This sounds good. I would keep the thank you, but I might just like thank yous. I try to err on the side of being too polite.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually checked with my friend prior to the writing about Ms. vs Mrs. and she said her mom was fine with Mrs. and was a pretty informal person. Otherwise I'm going to take the rest of the advice.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:30 pm

My friend, I predict you will have no trouble getting a job when you graduate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:38 pm

Renzo wrote:My friend, I predict you will have no trouble getting a job when you graduate.

Thanks, I'm trying to get my ducks in a row now. If anyone is looking for something to read, Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi really changed my outlook on networking.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Renzo wrote:My friend, I predict you will have no trouble getting a job when you graduate.

Thanks, I'm trying to get my ducks in a row now. If anyone is looking for something to read, Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi really changed my outlook on networking.

Fuck, the LAST thing I need is more reading. But so many people just passively expect OCS to get them a job, its refreshing to see someone taking some ownership.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:47 pm

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Fuck, the LAST thing I need is more reading. But so many people just passively expect OCS to get them a job, its refreshing to see someone taking some ownership.

Yeah, that kind of surprises me too. I think it comes from having an UG background in business instead of liberal arts. (Not saying liberal arts majors are inept at networking, but I have been harped on for 4 years about the importance of developing business contacts.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:12 am

Follow up on this item...

She e-mailed me back and said she would be delighted to meet me and wants to know my schedule for when I will be in (city). At the end of the e-mail she just signed her first name only. Does this mean that in any subsequent interaction I should address her by her first name?

andreea7

Postby andreea7 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Follow up on this item...

She e-mailed me back and said she would be delighted to meet me and wants to know my schedule for when I will be in (city). At the end of the e-mail she just signed her first name only. Does this mean that in any subsequent interaction I should address her by her first name?

I think so. At least this is what I've always done and it's worked fine.

ObviouslyMasochistic

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:42 am

Yup, that's what I've always heard. When they use their first name in the sign-off of correspondence, that's the cue for you to use it in the salutation of follow-up correspondence.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Follow up on this item...

I would use her first name in all email correspondence from now on. When you meet with her, don't use her first name unless she tells you to.

Posner

Postby Posner » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:43 pm

Last edited by Posner on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Just wanted to bump this thread to recommend this book. Just started reading it and it's pretty great - makes you rethink your whole take on work. Should be required reading.

Return to “Legal Employment”