Any value in doing JT degree - MPA, MPP for Big Law? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CordeliusX

Bronze

Any value in doing JT degree - MPA, MPP for Big Law?

Post by CordeliusX » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:07 pm

So I don't even know what Big Law looks for in your coursework, other than some business based courses.

Would doing an MPP or MPA (if it is done WITHIN 3 years - I'm told MBA can hurt you due to it throwing your internship-hiring off-track with 4 years) help at all? hinder?

I guess my bigger question is, how "tailored" does your law school courses have to be to get into big law? Can you explore around or just stick with corporate-law exclusively?

mhernton

Bronze

Re: Any value in doing JT degree - MPA, MPP for Big Law?

Post by mhernton » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:13 pm

Not to sound like Capt Obvious here but, why MPP or MPA at all for big law. Those are more applicable for government work. You can do the same with a law degree without the pain of having to do a second master degree program. Most universities will allow you to take a certain amount of your credits outside of the law school if you interested. I can't really answer the question that was asked, but I can ask why you're asking it...

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:31 pm

CordeliusX wrote:So I don't even know what Big Law looks for in your coursework, other than some business based courses.

Would doing an MPP or MPA (if it is done WITHIN 3 years - I'm told MBA can hurt you due to it throwing your internship-hiring off-track with 4 years) help at all? hinder?

I guess my bigger question is, how "tailored" does your law school courses have to be to get into big law? Can you explore around or just stick with corporate-law exclusively?
rofl. they don't even look for business based courses. They hire after few people have even had a chance to take more than a single elective given the rigid first year of courses.

You can take "THE LAW AND NOT STUDYING THE LAW" 4 times per semester and if your grades and school are up to snuff you'll get big law. Law school courses have shockingly little relevance to getting a job.

They can be 'soft' factors, and if you miss the big law boat you'll have to be subject to more scrutiny when you apply to other firms on a less formal / pipeline feeder system, but it's irrelevant for biglaw.

Same same for any degree other than your JD. Unless you're doing patent prosecution, in which case relevant technical degrees are... erm, relevant?

andreea7

Bronze

Post by andreea7 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:52 pm

At an ASW at CLS we were told that unless you need the piece of paper in your hand, just take some courses. So basically, if what you want is the knowledge, just do some courses and you are fine without the dual degree. But if you want it because you are looking at jobs requiring specifically that you have that degree, then it's different. Depends on what the school is allowing/offering as well. How many credits are you allowed to use to take courses at other schools at that university? etc. For example at CLS they allow you to take 30 credits of courses at other schools, provided those course contribute/enhance somehow your knowledge of law, policy, etc.

Non-Lawyer Lawyer

New

Post by Non-Lawyer Lawyer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:13 pm

The answer is "Yes" and "No." It depends on the dual degree. An MPA or MPP brings nothing that your J.D. doesn't already bring as far as practicing as a lawyer.

I knew I wanted to practice labor/employment law and got a dual J.D./M.A. in Human Resources (coursework in everything from structuring pension/benefit plans to recruitment/training/retention of talent). I now practice primarily in the areas of ERISA and Employment Litigation along with some minor labor-related issues (mostly union avoidance). During the interview, my M.A. degree was a hot topic of discussion and, coupled with my previous experience (clerkship followed by stint as Special Asst. to an Asst. Secretary of Labor) was one of the reasons I think that I am now in my current biglaw job.

I think that if you get a degree that actually provides some more in-depth and practical knowledge into a given area, it would be helpful. Get an M.S. in Accounting or Finance (for M&A, tax, securities, etc.), or a Science degree (for Patent law). Those would be helpful dual degrees, but the MPA or MPP is a waste of money and time. I mean, go for it if you want to, but those are just my two cents.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”