Columbia ITE - OCI 2009

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Unemployed

Re: Columbia ITE - OCI 2009

Postby Unemployed » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a cls 2L with no job. I gave up a free ride and a #1 ranking to come here. Traded no debt and no job for prestigious debt and no job. I hate my life.

Sorry to hear that. Was the CS helpful at all in your post-OCI job search? How were your grades and resume?

Edit: Oh, you are a transfer? That's terrible...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:06 pm

To the transfer: That is truly awful, and it scares the shit out of me. :(

To anyone at CLS who might know: Is it true that there was a vast difference in OCI success between transfers from T14s and transfers from lower ranked schools? If so, where did the drop-off occur?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the transfer: That is truly awful, and it scares the shit out of me. :(

To anyone at CLS who might know: Is it true that there was a vast difference in OCI success between transfers from T14s and transfers from lower ranked schools? If so, where did the drop-off occur?

I know a 2L who transferred from another CCN school to CLS for personal reasons and did very well last EIP. She said transfers from other good schools (the examples she used were UVA and UCLA) generally did pretty well, but transfers from lower ranked schools largely struck out (the example she used was Pace).

There's obviously a huge gulf between UCLA and Pace, so I don't know where the drop-off is, but it does seem prospects are better for transfers from higher-rankd schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To the transfer: That is truly awful, and it scares the shit out of me. :(

I know a 2L who transferred from another CCN school to CLS for personal reasons and did very well last EIP. She said transfers from other good schools (the examples she used were UVA and UCLA) generally did pretty well, but transfers from lower ranked schools largely struck out (the example she used was Pace).

There's obviously a huge gulf between UCLA and Pace, so I don't know where the drop-off is, but it does seem prospects are better for transfers from higher-rankd schools.

Thank you. This is what I've heard from multiple people. I am a student at a school somewhere between UCLA and Pace, so this query is my attempt to narrow it down somewhat.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Over at autoadmit there was a thread by a BigLaw associate involved in hiring which revealed that that particular firm treated transfers as if they were still at their original school for OCI purposes. IE: If they wouldn't have given a callback/offer to the #1 student at Pace's OCI, they wouldn't offer the #1 student transferring in from Pace at Columbia's OCI.

Ya dig?

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:11 pm

legends159 wrote:As a point of comparison (b/c I've seen some people call SLS and CLS peer schools now b/c of the USNWR repuatitonal scores) Dean Kramer said during ASW that there are 2 2L who don't have jobs.

lolol

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:08 pm

Here's my contribution to the thread.

Caveats -
1. This is exclusively the result of EIP, not cumulative SA placement.
2. A dozen or so V100 firms did not show up to EIP.
3. The data is incomplete. There are some popular firms which provided no data (i.e. the chart shows 0 placement, even though it could be anywhere between 0 to 10). In all likelihood, actual EIP placement is better than the %'s shown below.

V10 Placement: 19.25%
V25 Placement: 34%
V50 Placement: 49.75%
V75 Placement: 56.5%
V100 Placement: 61.25%
Total EIP Placement (according to OP): 67.5%

Columbia's 2009 numbers look eerily similar to Northwestern/Duke/Penn's 2006 numbers.

http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/

YSS

Postby YSS » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:51 am

is Columbia used to being the best at big law placement or are there schools that are better?

I wonder how placement is at Yale or Harvard?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:28 pm

Above transfer poster: I know people who transfered from Northwestern, Chicago, Cornell, GW, etc. did very, very well during EIP. People from Hosftra, NYLS, Rutgers, PACE did poorly except for outliers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Above transfer poster: I know people who transfered from Northwestern, Chicago, Cornell, GW, etc. did very, very well during EIP. People from Hosftra, NYLS, Rutgers, PACE did poorly except for outliers.

I'm applying to transfer from a Top 20. Any idea how people trasferring from that area did? Or just somewhere in between?

M51

Postby M51 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:45 pm

#s look right.

And 400ish at EIP is about right. A good portion of the public interest ppl didn't show. 370 + 60 transfers = 430. 30/400 who don't do EIP is about right, actually a bit on the low side. I know 8 people off the top of my head who weren't there (since if you're truely PI dedicated, EIP is not so useful I would imagine).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm applying to transfer from a Top 20. Any idea how people trasferring from that area did? Or just somewhere in between?

I transferred from a school in this ranking vicinity and l managed to snag 3 offers. I accepted at a V25. I think you'll be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:47 pm

people who transferred from the top 20 did very well.

acdisagod

Postby acdisagod » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:52 pm

As a 0L paying sticker at Cornell next year, these numbers for Columbia are kinda scary

EDIT: anyone have OCI stats for lower T-14?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I transferred from a school in this ranking vicinity and l managed to snag 3 offers. I accepted at a V25. I think you'll be fine.

When people refer to "T20," do they usually mean WUSTL/GW, or do they mean UCLA/Vandy/Texas/USC? I am also looking to transfer, except from a T25. There seems to be a placement difference (for NON-transfers) between the UCLA/Vandy/UT grouping of schools and the T25s, but there seems to be much less of a difference between WUSTL/GW and the other T25s.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

When people refer to "T20," do they usually mean WUSTL/GW, or do they mean UCLA/Vandy/Texas/USC? I am also looking to transfer, except from a T25. There seems to be a placement difference (for NON-transfers) between the UCLA/Vandy/UT grouping of schools and the T25s, but there seems to be much less of a difference between WUSTL/GW and the other T25s.

I'm the V25 poster you quoted.

From what I saw, it didn't seem like results varied much at all for transfers from T-15 through T-25. The distinction between those schools is a little exaggerated on this board to begin with (especially since most of those schools are regional schools) and once you transfer it really becomes moot for the people that are interviewing you at that point, imo.

Once you start creeping past T25-T30, I think it starts to make a difference once again though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any NYUers care to leak more data? I'd be interested to see. A few questions:
1. Is your percentage rounded? If so, CLS and NYU have essentially identical percentages (both round to 70%). [Edit: the cross-references the number provided here: http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thread_id=1291343&mc=35&forum_id=2&PHPSESSID=e354d5c7d1a8c07f8c750bba20249c1c]
2. Is your number the percentage of the *entire class* that got a job through OCI, or is it the percentage of the *people participating in OCI* who got a job through OCI? These are very, very different stats.
3. Does your OCI percentage include jobs obtained during some later OCI process, such as fall or winter OCI (if NYU has such a thing)? The Columbia #s are only for EIP, and do not include Fall OCI, resume drops, etc.
4. Does your OCI percentage include PI/gov't jobs? Columbia students doing PI/gov't work go through fall OCI or a separate application process.

NYUer here, and our data looked almost identical to the CLS data. It likewise includes only people who participated in EIW. The OCS offices claims to have near 100% employment of 2Ls, but not 100% are in the private sector and there's no data on how many went PI/gov't compared to past years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any NYUers care to leak more data? I'd be interested to see. A few questions:
1. Is your percentage rounded? If so, CLS and NYU have essentially identical percentages (both round to 70%). [Edit: the cross-references the number provided here: http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thread_id=1291343&mc=35&forum_id=2&PHPSESSID=e354d5c7d1a8c07f8c750bba20249c1c]
2. Is your number the percentage of the *entire class* that got a job through OCI, or is it the percentage of the *people participating in OCI* who got a job through OCI? These are very, very different stats.
3. Does your OCI percentage include jobs obtained during some later OCI process, such as fall or winter OCI (if NYU has such a thing)? The Columbia #s are only for EIP, and do not include Fall OCI, resume drops, etc.
4. Does your OCI percentage include PI/gov't jobs? Columbia students doing PI/gov't work go through fall OCI or a separate application process.

NYUer here, and our data looked almost identical to the CLS data. It likewise includes only people who participated in EIW. The OCS offices claims to have near 100% employment of 2Ls, but not 100% are in the private sector and there's no data on how many went PI/gov't compared to past years.
Ah, sounds about the same both at EIP/EIW and in the later hiring process. [edit: I was the one who asked the above-quoted questions]

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat May 08, 2010 6:09 pm

legends159 wrote:seeing as how the markets in most places shrunk by 40-60% according to NALP numbers this looks about right.

As a point of comparison (b/c I've seen some people call SLS and CLS peer schools now b/c of the USNWR repuatitonal scores) Dean Kramer said during ASW that there are 2 2L who don't have jobs.

LOL. :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:22 am

Considering transferring from top 5% at Fordham. Where would you expect that to fall in terms of transfer OCI opportunities.

Is it worth transferring?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Considering transferring from top 5% at Fordham. Where would you expect that to fall in terms of transfer OCI opportunities.

You will perform about as well as a top 5% student at Fordham. Possibly worse if you don't have a good reason.

I know somebody who was top of the class at a good school (mid tier 1), transferred to a great school (T6), and got pwned by OCI. Still got a job, but not nearly of the caliber her credentials suggested would have been possible from the former school. She claims it was BECAUSE of the transfer. I think it more has to do with the transfer personality.It just puts you in an awkward position for the interview to which you need to come up with a good story.

But for the most part, the firms aren't going to be doing some elaborate calculus. They'll probably know Fordham and probably know if they'd consider you. If the firm didn't interview at Fordham, that might be a boon. If they did, you probably won't fare differently - so long as you have a good answer to the 'why transfer' question.

myrockyourrock911

Postby myrockyourrock911 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:36 am

acdisagod wrote:As a 0L paying sticker at Cornell next year, these numbers for Columbia are kinda scary

EDIT: anyone have OCI stats for lower T-14?

And #'s for MVP?

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Considering transferring from top 5% at Fordham. Where would you expect that to fall in terms of transfer OCI opportunities.

NOOOO. I would stay. Esp. if you want to work in NYC.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know somebody who was top of the class at a good school (mid tier 1), transferred to a great school (T6), and got pwned by OCI. Still got a job, but not nearly of the caliber her credentials suggested would have been possible from the former school. She claims it was BECAUSE of the transfer. I think it more has to do with the transfer personality.It just puts you in an awkward position for the interview to which you need to come up with a good story.

This is wrong. You do not need a "good story" to explain wanting to be at a better law school. Any interviewer will understand this. Occasionally you'll even meet one who admires it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:29 am

underachiever wrote:

NOOOO. I would stay. Esp. if you want to work in NYC.

What about 1-2% (estimated)+law review at Cardozo?

Return to “Legal Employment”