FE + T20 = Patent Law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NerdmoD

FE + T20 = Patent Law?

Postby NerdmoD » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:59 pm

On a lark, I passed the FE exam, and plan to take the Patent Bar this summer (for my 0L). I don't exactly have an engineering background (UCLA film school grad), but I have two internships at patent law firms lined up for this summer. I'm going to be starting at a T20 this fall.

My question is this: is a lack of technical background a non-starter for patent law, or can you hide behind a decent law degree and WE and still get decent placement coming out of school? Or do I lose out to EE PHDs with "less prestigious" law degrees?

MJMD

Re: FE + T20 = Patent Law?

Postby MJMD » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:15 pm

-

jhett

Postby jhett » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:24 pm

Unfortunately, for patent prosecution I think firms will give preference to people with actual technical degrees than to people who have passed the FE. The problem is that clients usually look at your undergrad degree as evidence of your knowledge. Film school doesn't exactly inspire much confidence in them. You will need to really excel and show people that you know your stuff to overcome their skepticism.

You can still do patent litigation, but that doesn't require you to pass the patent bar.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:47 pm

Can I Qualify for the Patent Bar Exam Under Category C?
Those failing to qualify under Category A or B can attempt to qualify for the Patent Bar Exam under Category C:

Practical Engineering or Scientific Experience. An applicant relying on practical engineering or scientific experience or who does not qualify under Category A or B above may establish the required technical training by demonstrating that he or she has taken and passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) test. The FE test is a test of engineering fundamentals The FE test is developed and administered by a State Board of Engineering Examiners in each State or comparable jurisdiction. Neither the USPTO nor any other U.S. Government agency administers the test. Applicants desiring to take the FE test should direct inquiries to the Secretaries of the appropriate State Boards. Official results of the FE test must be submitted to establish qualification under this category. Applicants attempting to qualify under Category C must submit an official original transcript showing the award of a Bachelors degree.

To OP, you'll lose out to an EE.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:17 pm

You will loose out to to EEs but I dont think EE/CE/ME/ChemE need advanced degrees to do well in IP. Only bio/chem/phyics majors need the advanced degree to go far. The FE won't mean much to employers if you dont have the technical background to match it.

luckycurl84

Postby luckycurl84 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:14 pm

NerdmoD wrote:On a lark, I passed the FE exam, and plan to take the Patent Bar this summer (for my 0L). I don't exactly have an engineering background (UCLA film school grad), but I have two internships at patent law firms lined up for this summer. I'm going to be starting at a T20 this fall.

My question is this: is a lack of technical background a non-starter for patent law, or can you hide behind a decent law degree and WE and still get decent placement coming out of school? Or do I lose out to EE PHDs with "less prestigious" law degrees?

My understanding is patent prosecution positions strongly prefer those with technical degrees. Just because you can sit for the patent bar doesn't mean you'll get hired as a patent attorney, but it sounds like the firms you have lined up don't care. That probably means you'll be handling patent litigation, where firms don't have to sell your technical credentials to thier clients.

You'll definitely lose out to an EE PhD. You'll definitely lose out to an EE BS. But then again, so would I (I'm ChemE).

But then again, I'm a 0L as well and could be completely wrong.

dajja15

Postby dajja15 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:31 am

NerdmoD wrote:On a lark, I passed the FE exam, and plan to take the Patent Bar this summer (for my 0L). I don't exactly have an engineering background (UCLA film school grad), but I have two internships at patent law firms lined up for this summer. I'm going to be starting at a T20 this fall.

how did you go about getting a patent law internship? I am an engineer grad student and was thinking about trying to get an internship, even though it is pretty late.

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:38 am

dajja15 wrote:

how did you go about getting a patent law internship? I am an engineer grad student and was thinking about trying to get an internship, even though it is pretty late.

Yea, I was kinda wondering the same thing...

Return to “Legal Employment”