MBA for In-House Corporate Attorney

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
danquayle

MBA for In-House Corporate Attorney

Postby danquayle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:16 pm

Ok, so I know the issue of a JD/MBA has been beaten to death, I know even the MBA after JD thing has been discussed before... BUT, does anyone have any thoughts on the utility of obtaining an MBA as an in-house attorney? I ask because, though my current position is nominally a legal one (and the majority of my work is legal), the day to day work has increasingly demanded more competence in business decision making. At times I feel myself wishing I had a stronger financial background, particularly when I interact with those in our finance department. They want their answers conveyed in a finance oriented way. I'm currently poor at that, or feel as though I am.

Where I'm torn is whether or not an MBA would even teach me the skills I feel I'm lacking, or whether if that's just something you pick up through years of experience.

I'm not sure if a forum filled with prospective JDs is the best place to ask this, but if anyone who has gone gotten an MBA or has extensive business experience, please let me know your thoughts on whether an MBA is worthwhile for someone in my position. If I did it, I'm virtually certain I'd do it part-time.

danquayle

Re: MBA for In-House Corporate Attorney

Postby danquayle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:42 pm

I take this to mean I should post in an MBA forum?

Return to “Legal Employment”