Using lexis/westlaw during summer employment

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Using lexis/westlaw during summer employment

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:25 pm

I just had an interview with a small firm for the summer and the attorney mentioned that he would be expecting me to use my lexis account to do research over the summer. I know that you are only suppose to use your account for school related research. Is it common for students to do this during summer employment. Should I say something or just not worry about it?

Anonymous Loser

Re: Using lexis/westlaw during summer employment

Postby Anonymous Loser » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:35 pm

Your first research project should be printing up Rules 8.4(c) & 8.3(a) of the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct for your new boss.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:52 pm

I don't think its uncommon, but I am surprised that they actually said it, since it is stealing. It's usually a wink-and-nod situation, you do it and they don't ask why you aren't generating and lexis fees.

presh

Postby presh » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:30 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:33 pm

presh wrote:This is an interesting conundrum. What should OP do? Would capitulating to this request have consequences down the road?

*Not OP. I'm working a job where summer access is allowed. Just curious.

Well, here's how I would lawyer my way out of this bind:

You are allowed to use your Lexis account for practice and familiarization, those are legit. A 1L knows pretty much fuckall about anything, so no firm is going to give you important work--most of the work they give you will be for your benefit. Since the work is for your benefit, and not for the client's, it's practice and therefore allowed.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:45 pm

??? As I understood your Lexis/Westlaw access is REVOKED during the summer

presh

Postby presh » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:48 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:50 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:??? As I understood your Lexis/Westlaw access is REVOKED during the summer

I've never heard of this. As I understand it, you always have access to your accounts and its an honor system that you not using them for anything non-school related as you take on internships during your 3 years. OP's summer employment option sounds pretty shady, especially to just come out and say "its expected you'll break the [ABA] honor code to save us money".

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:51 pm

arhmcpo wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:??? As I understood your Lexis/Westlaw access is REVOKED during the summer

I've never heard of this. As I understand it, you always have access to your accounts and its an honor system that you not using them for anything non-school related as you take on internships during your 3 years. OP's summer employment option sounds pretty shady, especially to just come out and say "its expected you'll break the [ABA] honor code to save us money".

You do actually have to take proactive steps to maintain access over the summer, but otherwise, yep.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:57 pm

if you want summer access, all you have to do is go to the respective law school homepages and sign up.

my lexis rep said anything you do for "skill development" is fine, and anything you do outside of the office is fine no matter what. take from that what you will.

they'd be upset if you used it at a firm, but more upset if it was at a firm that already has a lexis account. if they don't have one already, they dont care as much since they arent technically losing money.

Return to “Legal Employment”