best strategy for T14ers who graduate jobless w/ 200k+ debt?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

which is best

leave the country (specify which country)
11%
work for the U.S. Postal Service (50k+ salary, counts as public service for IBR)
27%
run for mayor of a small town and embezzle public funds to pay off debt
4%
sit in parents' basement and smoke weed while defaulting on loans, until parents die; then inherit house
16%
contract attorney work on craigslist for $25k and use the private sector IBR
4%
hide in the wilderness
16%
suicide
22%

Total votes: 93

Anonymous User

best strategy for T14ers who graduate jobless w/ 200k+ debt?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:26 pm

Feel free to make other suggestions as well.

fornicator

Re: best strategy for T14ers who graduate jobless w/ 200k+ debt?

Postby fornicator » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:30 pm

I am OP--didn't mean to make this anonymous, just pressed the wrong button. apologies.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:31 pm

the most sensible option, one not listed here, is take some kind of PI or Gov't job that qualifies for your school's LRAP or IBR.

you can get litigation experience and public interest is generally seen as a good thing, everything in your half-serious list is a blight on your resume

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:34 pm

Where is the option "Spend majority of time trolling JDUnderground and writing pessimistic law school spin blogs rather than seeking employment."?

Though I suppose that could be the parents basement choice.

fornicator

Postby fornicator » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:35 pm

swheat wrote:the most sensible option, one not listed here, is take some kind of PI or Gov't job that qualifies for your school's LRAP or IBR.

you can get litigation experience and public interest is generally seen as a good thing, everything in your half-serious list is a blight on your resume

everyone acts like these are super-easy to come by. I've been turned down by every federal agency that I contacted, several state atty general offices, state DOT offices, state revenue service, even non-profit organizations. And my grades don't even suck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:41 pm

You think you're in pain? Try having 400k in overall debt upon graduating, with only 275 under IBR (T5 undergrad business degree/T14 JD) + failed business due to recession in between undergrad and law school. Hope the economy picks up as I'm only a 1L.

fornicator

Postby fornicator » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You think you're in pain? Try having 420k in overall debt upon graduating, with only 275 under IBR (T5 undergrad business degree/T14 JD) + failed business due to recession in between undergrad and law school. Hope the economy picks up as I'm only a 1L.

Damn that sucks! What are your plans if the legal hiring market doesn't bounce back?

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:44 pm

I would throw teaching middle school on here under the same principle as working as a mailman.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:46 pm

In all honesty, I'm hoping to use the IBR for the 275 and have someone (a connected professor/lawyer) intercede and arrange some type of deal with the banks for the 125. Everything's deferred until I graduate due to an agreement so hopefully there's some solution down the road. Good luck on your issues too.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You think you're in pain? Try having 400k in overall debt upon graduating, with only 275 under IBR (T5 undergrad business degree/T14 JD) + failed business due to recession in between undergrad and law school. Hope the economy picks up as I'm only a 1L.

That's a fuckin' bummer, man. Good luck and godspeed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:55 pm

Thanks. Education's so expensive in this country, particularly due to the interest. I went to the T5 on a half scholarship and am in law school on a sizable scholarship which I'm in line to maintain. Going to college is 200k now for the four years and 180-200 for some T14's. My professor told me he attended a T14 law school for 100/semester thirty years ago and went to undergrad for free.

Z3RO wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You think you're in pain? Try having 400k in overall debt upon graduating, with only 275 under IBR (T5 undergrad business degree/T14 JD) + failed business due to recession in between undergrad and law school. Hope the economy picks up as I'm only a 1L.

That's a fuckin' bummer, man. Good luck and godspeed.

Sclerenchyma

Postby Sclerenchyma » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:59 pm

Obvious choice.

French Foreign Legion

swester

Postby swester » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:56 pm

Just goes to show that the ability to score well on exams does not correlate to financial intelligence. Too bad you didn't get a subprime mortgage to go along with your other debt - at least you could have walked away from that.

What a fine country we live in.

fornicator

Postby fornicator » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:08 pm

swester wrote:Just goes to show that the ability to score well on exams does not correlate to financial intelligence. Too bad you didn't get a subprime mortgage to go along with your other debt - at least you could have walked away from that.

Yeah, fuck you. If you said that in person, even if I weren't the addressee, I'd have to restrain myself to not punch you full force in the face. All reliable sources available at the time that most of us enrolled indicated that a good law school was a good investment.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:14 pm

swester wrote:

Just goes to show that the ability to score well on exams does not correlate to financial intelligence. Too bad you didn't get a subprime mortgage to go along with your other debt - at least you could have walked away from that.

While I agree that it was a poor decision to spend >50k on any undergrad, you're a fucking asshole.

This person isn't saying that they want to default on their loans; they're just expressing how difficult it is to pay them back. They're not alone, either.

logicianwannabe

Postby logicianwannabe » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:16 pm

fornicator wrote:
swester wrote:Just goes to show that the ability to score well on exams does not correlate to financial intelligence. Too bad you didn't get a subprime mortgage to go along with your other debt - at least you could have walked away from that.

"If it were not assize-time, I would not take such language from you."

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:25 pm

My options (for myself):

1) Move to Mexico. Specifically San Felipe, Ensenada, or similar rundown beach town in Baja California. Change name. Work at Papas and Beer or similar for tips. Waste said tips on papas and beer.

2) Travel with a carnival or Renaissance Faire. Change name. Sell something on a cash-only basis, or perform for tips. Waste said tips on papas and beer.

forza

Postby forza » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:29 pm

This is why I'm amazed at people who fork over $200k for an UG education at some private liberal arts school.

Why not go to a large in-state public school for a fraction of the cost? Law schools don't give a shit if your GPA/LSAT are high enough.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:30 pm

forza wrote:This is why I'm amazed at people who fork over $200k for an UG education at some private liberal arts school.

Why not go to a large in-state public school for a fraction of the cost? Law schools don't give a shit if your GPA/LSAT are high enough.

Unless it's YHP they don't' give a shit period.

What is even crazier is the people who pay 200K for a small unknown, supposedly good, liberal arts college.

I don't care what anyone says but Belot to me is a shitstain town in Wi/IL not a college.
Last edited by 09042014 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

logicianwannabe

Postby logicianwannabe » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:31 pm

forza wrote:This is why I'm amazed at people who fork over $200k for an UG education at some private liberal arts school.

to be fair, OP was about law school not undergrad, and until recently, ranking in law school mattered.

swester

Postby swester » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:34 pm

fornicator wrote:

Yeah, fuck you. If you said that in person, even if I weren't the addressee, I'd have to restrain myself to not punch you full force in the face. All reliable sources available at the time that most of us enrolled indicated that a good law school was a good investment.

How adorable. Another guy screwed over by glossy brochures wants to take it out on others. Do some real due diligence before diving into an education costing you $180k and you might not have to comiserate about your mountains of debt.

And punching someone in the face, however noble it might seem to you, would probably end up just adding on more debt to the pile. And it's not like law school even trained you how to defend yourself in court.

Wait a minute - where's all of the TLS'ers with the "you're just making up the debt problems / the legal market is fine / I love law school" responses? I actually believe the OP is telling the truth, and I think the problem is far more endemic than most of the people around here would even admit.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:37 pm

Blows my mind. My UG cost $60k total (would've been under $50k if I had graduated in 4 years) and I could cover most of the cost from working over the summer. My brother's education is costing $200k+, but the 'rents are paying and he's going to Yale so I think maybe the opportunities are worth it.

I don't think it makes any sense to take on a shit-load of debt for UG unless you're pretty sure it will be your terminal degree and you're going into a field (IB, consulting) where it matters. Maybe if you're going to HYPSMC, because those schools give a ton of financial aid. Otherwise, nobody gives a shit if you went to Penn or whatever and end up at a T14. You'll be alongside UVA or UIUC grads who paid a fraction of the price for their education and will be on the exact same footing.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:39 pm

swester wrote:
fornicator wrote:

How adorable. Another guy screwed over by glossy brochures wants to take it out on others. Do some real due diligence before diving into an education costing you $180k and you might not have to comiserate about your mountains of debt.

And punching someone in the face, however noble it might seem to you, would probably end up just adding on more debt to the pile. And it's not like law school even trained you how to defend yourself in court.

Wait a minute - where's all of the TLS'ers with the "you're just making up the debt problems / the legal market is fine / I love law school" responses? I actually believe the OP is telling the truth, and I think the problem is far more endemic than most of the people around here would even admit.

Though we appreciate your holy crusade to save us all from law school, your post history shows that you're another purveyor of JD underground's flavor of self-righteousness and general dick behavior.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:40 pm

swester wrote:Wait a minute - where's all of the TLS'ers with the "you're just making up the debt problems / the legal market is fine / I love law school" responses? I actually believe the OP is telling the truth, and I think the problem is far more endemic than most of the people around here would even admit.

This really doesn't seem to be the consensus of TLS...

swester

Postby swester » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:45 pm

bk1 wrote:
swester wrote:Wait a minute - where's all of the TLS'ers with the "you're just making up the debt problems / the legal market is fine / I love law school" responses? I actually believe the OP is telling the truth, and I think the problem is far more endemic than most of the people around here would even admit.

This really doesn't seem to be the consensus of TLS...

Then apparently you haven't visited any of the other sub-forums on this site. It's only here, on legal employment (or, more appropriately, unemployment), that more realistic reports surface.

Return to “Legal Employment”