Current Law Students: 0L Summer? Does it matter? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
groundkontrol

Bronze

Current Law Students: 0L Summer? Does it matter?

Post by groundkontrol » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:39 pm

Current law students, how much does law-related employment during 0L summer matter? I can travel. I can work retail. I can do a paid RA job at my school. I can get a government unpaid internship. What would you recommend? Did 0L summer ever come up in a biglaw interview? Won’t it look weird if I have a gap in my resume from traveling or being an RA? Thanks.

Gold

Re: Current Law Students: 0L Summer? Does it matter?

Post by 270910 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:41 pm

I had an interview with an attorney designed to be a stress-test, a non-stop barrage of the kind of questions any one of which might be a 'worst case scenario' in a real interview.

One of the questions was about the gap on my resume between college and law school.

As soon as I pointed out the gap was between law school and college he moved on and mentioned afterward that it was no big deal.

The time you have between the moment you get accepted to law school and the moment to start is your time. Any efforts you put in to bolster your career prospects will yield vanishing returns.

To go a beach. Drink. If you get comfortable enough, you can try drinking while on the beach.

You'll thank me later.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:02 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Non-Lawyer Lawyer

New

Post by Non-Lawyer Lawyer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:12 pm

Buddy, I won't lie to you, the quality of female talent in law school is pitiful. "Law Goggles" aside, attractive girls in law school are few and far between. Not only that, but law school does tend to suck the life out of you, and the quality of people you meet in law school in general sucks.

Take the paid RA job. Take full advantage of the college lifestyle one last summer; I'm talking about a three month Bacchanalia. Hang out with friends, sleep in until noon, go to the beach, get some sun, do some enjoyable reading, party, buy beer for underage (21 yrs...) girls, sleep with said underage girls, etc. etc. etc.

Enjoy.

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:19 pm

0L summer doesn't mean much at all.
From my experience if provided a marginal boost for getting a job during 1L summer. I came straight from undergrad and my summer job at a law firm came up during the interview process. So its a marginal boost at best, if you have no real work experience aside from stuff like retail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

groundkontrol

Bronze

Post by groundkontrol » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:51 pm

Thanks everyone for the response!
I ask pretty much because I no previous legitimate work experience. During college I worked at a summer camp frosh and sophomore year. Junior year I did an internship with a State senator. Senior year I studied for LSATs. So no prior work experience really. Is landing a 1L summer job primarily about 1L grades?

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:08 pm

groundkontrol wrote:Thanks everyone for the response!
I ask pretty much because I no previous legitimate work experience. During college I worked at a summer camp frosh and sophomore year. Junior year I did an internship with a State senator. Senior year I studied for LSATs. So no prior work experience really. Is landing a 1L summer job primarily about 1L grades?
Honestly its a lot about luck. It's a crapshoot for everyone regardless of your grades or school. I'm an AA Male from Harvard. Out of close to 100 resumes sent out, I got 3 interviews and 2 offers. Of the 100, 12 went to my home market which I have significant ties to. A lot of it also has to do with the economy, but as far as from what I've observed you're basically playing roulette during the 1L job search.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:08 pm

conn09 wrote:You're basically playing roulette during the 1L job search.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:23 pm

relax during 0L summer. you're going to hit a wall of fatigue right around exam time in the fall if you don't (take it from me).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

toaster2

New

Post by toaster2 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Last edited by toaster2 on Tue May 25, 2010 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:46 pm

i did nothing during that summer between college and law school. one interviewer brought it up. i said my family wanted me to hang out with them, what with me going to law school and all. he was like, ok.
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Non-Lawyer Lawyer wrote:Buddy, I won't lie to you, the quality of female talent in law school is pitiful. "Law Goggles" aside, attractive girls in law school are few and far between. Not only that, but law school does tend to suck the life out of you, and the quality of people you meet in law school in general sucks.

Take the paid RA job. Take full advantage of the college lifestyle one last summer; I'm talking about a three month Bacchanalia. Hang out with friends, sleep in until noon, go to the beach, get some sun, do some enjoyable reading, party, buy beer for underage (21 yrs...) girls, sleep with said underage girls, etc. etc. etc.

Enjoy.
ITT female TLS members decide they have had enough with the male TLS members.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:52 pm

insidethetwenty wrote:Image
TITCR, now if only I can break 100 this summer :oops:

Everytime I finally get somewhat decent at golf, school starts, winter hits and I go from shooting 103 to shooting 113.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:54 pm

acdisagod wrote:
Non-Lawyer Lawyer wrote:Buddy, I won't lie to you, the quality of female talent in law school is pitiful. "Law Goggles" aside, attractive girls in law school are few and far between. Not only that, but law school does tend to suck the life out of you, and the quality of people you meet in law school in general sucks.

Enjoy.
ITT female TLS members decide they have had enough with the male TLS members.
i dunno about your school, but both the dudes and the chicks at my school are constantly complaining about how unattractive the opposite sex is at said school. it's pretty amusing. also, small sample size, but the gay guys seem to think the dudes are allllright.
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posner

Bronze

Post by Posner » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:22 pm

Last edited by Posner on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:36 pm

If possible you want to go to law school completely de-stressed and happy. As others have said, once law school starts all free time is time that reflects poorly on your resume/GPA. So party it up! 8)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Posner wrote:Travel. It's something you can put in the additional information section of your resume. Depending on the person reviewing resumes/interviewing, traveling can be a bonus. At the very least, it'll be something interesting to talk about during the interview. Take advantage of the time. Once you start law school there is a good chance you will not have a large chunk of time to travel until you retire.
This as well.

dsegura

New

Post by dsegura » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:45 pm

party.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:36 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:22 pm

It hasn't come up again since, but I had one 9th Circuit judge ask me questions about why I didn't do anything productive during 0L summer. I recount the experience here: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... &#p1313281

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”