What big firm should I work at?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

What big firm should I work at?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:23 pm

Semi-obnoxious post but I could really use some suggestions. I went to law school with no real plan except to work my ass off and get good grades. I am planning to work for a big firm immediately following school, unless I clerk for a year. Regardless, OCI is in a few months. I go a 10-20 usnwr school. I am squarely in the top 5% of my class. I want to practice in California. Areas I am considering pursuing are M&A, corporate litigation, copyright/soft IP/entertainment. Basically I would like to work with companies as opposed to banks. My other main considerations are working at a stable firm that will pay me well, and avoiding being around total douchebags/backstabbers as much as possible. I am not really concerned with firm prestige for its own sake, though of course I appreciate it for resume value.

I need to make like 50 bids this summer for interviews and the amount of firms I know the name of is more like 15.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby rando » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:28 pm

This post would be less obnoxious if it were posted 2 months from now when you are top 5% after 2 semesters of law school.
Last edited by rando on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby Renzo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:34 pm

Apparently you don't need to understand basic research skills to make it to the top of your school's curve. Have you done anything to investigate the firms that come to your schools OCI?

2009 Prospective
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:32 pm

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby 2009 Prospective » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:39 pm

To piggy back off of OP's post, I was wondering how important it is going into OCI to know what specific practice group you're interested in besides just transactional v. litigation.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby rando » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:41 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:To piggy back off of OP's post, I was wondering how important it is going into OCI to know what specific practice group you're interested in besides just transactional v. litigation.


Not important at all. But it is good to have some talking points on interests in general.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby A'nold » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:50 pm

Another piggy-back q: OP wants to work in CA but he/she doesn't say where his/her school is located. What if it is, say WUSTL. How should OP bid? I keep hearing that it's best to stick to one geographical reason, but that kind of freaks me out for situations like this. In this hypothetical, it seems like OP's best chance would be to apply to like St. Luis and Chicago firms instead of targeting only L.A. and San Fran. firms. In my situation, I'd love to eventually work in the NW. Say I was attending like GULC. Wouldn't it be safer to apply to D.C. firms that to put all of my eggs in one basket and apply to Seattle/Portland firms exlcusively? Thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:55 pm

Oh shoot, OK. Maybe I'm lame or maybe you guys are lashing out because you have no input on my question. The problem is that firms are so completely indistinguishable on their faces and I feel like I would benefit from witnessing a discussion between people who had some opinions. It would be like Yelp - unreliable but a good way to get a few impressions.

Here's where I'm at:

Gibson Dunn: good name, met some people who seemed nice, might be a little prestige-oriented for me (I don't particularly care to work with a bunch of people who judge each other based on what appellate cases they have argued)

Paul Hastings: Seems like they do boring work and are squares

Quinn Emmanuel: Successful and growing, so good chance there will be no shortage of work and good bonus potential, but litigation-only seems limiting, great reputation as far as I've heard.

Katten: Originally had a good impression because it seems like they focus on entertainment/IP but have read about salary cuts and general toilet-ness of the firm online.

Shepard-Mullin: Seems kind of second-tier. They have a entertainment-only office in LA which is interesting - would like to know more about what they do there. Partners there told me they are conservative with their investments which could be good for job security although I wouldn't mind benefiting from some fiscal irresponsibility since I don't plan to be at one firm for too long.

I'll post some more impressions if I think of them.

Lawrence
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:05 am

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby Lawrence » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:56 pm

A'nold wrote:Another piggy-back q: OP wants to work in CA but he/she doesn't say where his/her school is located. What if it is, say WUSTL. How should OP bid? I keep hearing that it's best to stick to one geographical reason, but that kind of freaks me out for situations like this. In this hypothetical, it seems like OP's best chance would be to apply to like St. Luis and Chicago firms instead of targeting only L.A. and San Fran. firms. In my situation, I'd love to eventually work in the NW. Say I was attending like GULC. Wouldn't it be safer to apply to D.C. firms that to put all of my eggs in one basket and apply to Seattle/Portland firms exlcusively? Thanks.


I say apply all over the place. I certainly have some strong preferences of where I want to be, but in this economy I'll be happy to get a biglaw job anywhere. At my school you have 50 bids to work with and I really doubt even our home city will have 50 firms there. I plan on applying to jobs in several major markets as well as sending out resumes and cover letters all over the place. If I get an offer in the city I want to be in, great. If not I want as many back up plans as possible.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby A'nold » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:57 pm

OP, are you out of CA?

User avatar
ZXCVBNM
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:45 pm

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby ZXCVBNM » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:03 am

after finals set-up a meeting with career services and they'll help you bid properly and point you in the right direction for research.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:05 am

ZXCVBNM wrote:after finals set-up a meeting with career services and they'll help you bid properly and point you in the right direction for research.


OCS = useless

User avatar
thedogship
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:30 pm

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby thedogship » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:07 am

rando wrote:This post would be less obnoxious if it were posted 2 months from now when you are top 5% after 2 semesters of law school.



Completely agree. What an obnoxious thread. The kid hasn't even gotten his second semester grades and he/she's talking about going to Gibson Dunn. Pump the brakes, please. There were a number of kids my first year in the top ten percent after 1st semester that wound up at the 30% mark or worse after second semester. Some of them got shut out in OCI. Other people in the class were in the top 15% and just sucked as people and got shut out as well. Others were at the 40% mark all year and had winning personalities and will be at V10, V50, and V100 firms. I'd focus more on my exams than on if people at Paul Hastings are squares.

User avatar
rupert.pupkin
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby rupert.pupkin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:13 am

Sagman, Bennett, Robbins, Oppenheim and Taft

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:26 am

Yeah, I've been to a few. What did you find helpful about them specifically?

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby sanpiero » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:36 am

rupert.pupkin wrote:Sagman, Bennett, Robbins, Oppenheim and Taft


:lol:

User avatar
BradyToMoss
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby BradyToMoss » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:59 am

Without your school we can't give you much help. Feel free to let us know and we can give you some more input, but schools 10-20 can have wildly different prospects in CA.

If you're at one of the two CA schools in the 10-20 range, give me a PM and I can give you some good information.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ZXCVBNM wrote:after finals set-up a meeting with career services and they'll help you bid properly and point you in the right direction for research.


OCS = useless


Even if you have no interest in getting advice your CSO may have useful services. Here's what they can probably provide:

* Specific information about what GPAs firms hire at. You're at the very top of your class, but others reading this thread may be in a different situation.
* Mock interviews. Practice is good, and you don't have to listen to the feedback. Some schools set up mock interviews with alumni who are practicing at firms, so it's a networking opportunity as well.
* Resume review. Again, they'll do it for free and you can opt to ignore their suggestions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:00 am

Yeah, I've done one mock interview and am doing another this summer. I'll try to make it to more firm functions - I wonder if they hold any over the summer?

I guess what I should really do is grill my interviewers about their clients and the work that they're doing at OCI. Right now I'm just trying to get familiar with the firms - I don't like working on a complete lack of information. I'm gonna go poke around Vault now.

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby Aeroplane » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ZXCVBNM wrote:after finals set-up a meeting with career services and they'll help you bid properly and point you in the right direction for research.


OCS = useless


Even if you have no interest in getting advice your CSO may have useful services. Here's what they can probably provide:

* Specific information about what GPAs firms hire at. You're at the very top of your class, but others reading this thread may be in a different situation.
* Mock interviews. Practice is good, and you don't have to listen to the feedback. Some schools set up mock interviews with alumni who are practicing at firms, so it's a networking opportunity as well.
* Resume review. Again, they'll do it for free and you can opt to ignore their suggestions.

+1. I found CSO to be very similar to my UG pre-law advisor in that respect. Not much help in the strategy (like where to apply, chances of success, etc) department, but very helpful data & great review/editing services. Get your cover letter(s) edited too.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby nealric » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:42 am

Dewy, Cheatam & Howe in Boston.

I hear they are quite prestigiouf

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby rayiner » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:04 am

rando wrote:This post would be less obnoxious if it were posted 2 months from now when you are top 5% after 2 semesters of law school.


The job search sneaks up on you and it's good OP is at least thinking about his options now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:09 am

OP should pick a firm that doesn't distinguish between the words "what" and "which"...because that could be awkward later.

User avatar
BradyToMoss
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby BradyToMoss » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:18 pm

rayiner wrote:
rando wrote:This post would be less obnoxious if it were posted 2 months from now when you are top 5% after 2 semesters of law school.


The job search sneaks up on you and it's good OP is at least thinking about his options now.


Also agree with this. I spent a lot of time 2nd semester reading about various firms in the markets I liked, and found that many people were scrambling come OCI with questions about bid strategy, differences in firms etc. Never too early to start getting information.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby 270910 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:48 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:
rayiner wrote:
rando wrote:This post would be less obnoxious if it were posted 2 months from now when you are top 5% after 2 semesters of law school.


The job search sneaks up on you and it's good OP is at least thinking about his options now.


Also agree with this. I spent a lot of time 2nd semester reading about various firms in the markets I liked, and found that many people were scrambling come OCI with questions about bid strategy, differences in firms etc. Never too early to start getting information.


Credited. Team 1L should be gearing up to spend a lot of this summer learning about firms, cultures, bidding, etc. I can't imagine flying into OCI as blind as I am right now, and I've already done some leg work.

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: What big firm should I work at?

Postby TTT-LS » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:51 pm

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.