Competitiveness of IRS? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Garinold

New

Competitiveness of IRS?

Post by Garinold » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:42 pm

Anyone have any knowledge about the competitiveness of the IRS? I know there are plans to expand the IRS and perhaps there will probably be more openings than usual. As it stands now though, what exactly do they typically look for their entry level positions? Are they general grade-hawks like the DOJ/Biglaw or is the commitment to the specialization of tax more important? Would taking the tax courses and getting good grades in them be as important to the IRS as perhaps taking crim/evidence courses & getting good grades in those would be to a state/city DA's office?

Thanks

nealric

Re: Competitiveness of IRS?

Post by nealric » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:51 pm

IRS is very competitive. I got biglaw and DOJ SLIP- I did not get IRS honors. Showing interest is important, but grades are too, as is a bit of luck. Their hiring can be really erratic because of budget swings. One year they might take 2x as many as the next.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:22 pm

nealric wrote:IRS is very competitive. I got biglaw and DOJ SLIP- I did not get IRS honors. Showing interest is important, but grades are too, as is a bit of luck. Their hiring can be really erratic because of budget swings. One year they might take 2x as many as the next.
yep.

LateNight

Bronze

Post by LateNight » Mon May 03, 2010 3:22 am

This is the type of law I want to go into. I want to do Tax Law and work for the IRS.

Will doing summer work on the editorial team of RIA or CCH help me? What is my best path to a job at the IRS?

slowdiver

New

Post by slowdiver » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:47 pm

Best path is to apply through the IRS website and to look out for any OCI or job fairs that the IRS will be attending. Also, if you're flexible between working at various field office locations or at the national office, you'll stand a better chance of finding an opening. Previous tax work is definitely a plus, but it's not necessary. Grades, journal experience (preferably Law Review), and an interest in tax and government work are probably the best things to show through your resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:01 pm

according to my interviewer, they are expecting to cut the number of summers dramatically this year, not to mention that last year was only about 40ish total for honors program nationwide. Budget this year is, without further need to explain, very very tight.

So, it is going to be a very tough year, in addition to usual competitiveness of the program.

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:43 pm

I worked with a couple guys in accounting who had MS Accountancy and JD from good schools. Took them a couple years to finally get their foot in the door at the IRS.
So, yes, very competitive and a lot of good candidates with accounting experience, if my small, non-empirical sampling is any indication.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:50 pm

IRS OCC added on an OCI visit (for 2Ls) to UVA scheduled for next week a couple of weeks ago. Preselects have gone out already.

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:36 pm

I did IRS at my school's OCI and they basically told me their recruiting process is super bureaucratic/sloppy/disorganized. First round sends recommended applicant files to Washington, who then tries to match you with an office that needs you (presumably this is where everything gets lost or thrown away). They said if you are going to hear back, it will be in 8-10 weeks, and if you don't hear anything after a few months that means you were rejected.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nealric

Post by nealric » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:48 pm

according to my interviewer, they are expecting to cut the number of summers dramatically this year, not to mention that last year was only about 40ish total for honors program nationwide. Budget this year is, without further need to explain, very very tight
I realize this is kind of a separate issue, but I've never understood why the IRS and DOJ Tax have such erratic funding. They are the only government agencies that actually make money.

slowdiver

New

Post by slowdiver » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:28 pm

nealric wrote:
according to my interviewer, they are expecting to cut the number of summers dramatically this year, not to mention that last year was only about 40ish total for honors program nationwide. Budget this year is, without further need to explain, very very tight
I realize this is kind of a separate issue, but I've never understood why the IRS and DOJ Tax have such erratic funding. They are the only government agencies that actually make money.
High retention rate, maybe? Each person they hire that isn't replacing someone constitutes an expansion of the department. Just a guess.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”