magistrate judge clerkship - what do magistrate judges do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
littleboyblue

magistrate judge clerkship - what do magistrate judges do?

Postby littleboyblue » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:12 pm

versus working for a district judge or a state judge

ggocat

Re: magistrate judge clerkship - what do magistrate judges do?

Postby ggocat » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:24 pm

Depends on the judge/court.

Some do mostly social security cases (although I don't really know what that entails) and prisoner litigation (habeas, section 1983, pre-trial and post-trial criminal matters). Some do pretrial civil stuff as well--some handle dispositive matters (motions to dismiss, transfer, summary judgment) and others handle discovery disputes (motions to compel, etc.). Some hold full trials if the parties agree. It really just depends.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:49 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Federal magistrate judges also hear preliminary motions in criminal matters such as motions to suppress evidence. Although, I guess, that this could vary by district.
Magisterial duties & jurisdiction varies greatly state-by-state at the state level.
It is important to note that in several states elected judges are not required to have a law degree.
Sorry about the anonymous heading; I hit it by accident; this is CanadianWolf.

Interested Observer

Postby Interested Observer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:01 pm

Speaking of Magistrate judges, I was wondering if anyone had any clue as to what type of GPA you'd need coming from a school like Vandy, UCLA or UT to land a clerkship. I'm sure this differs from judge to judge and district to district, but any information (even anecdotal) would be appreciated.

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:04 pm

ggocat wrote:Depends on the judge/court.

Some do mostly social security cases (although I don't really know what that entails) and prisoner litigation (habeas, section 1983, pre-trial and post-trial criminal matters). Some do pretrial civil stuff as well--some handle dispositive matters (motions to dismiss, transfer, summary judgment) and others handle discovery disputes (motions to compel, etc.). Some hold full trials if the parties agree. It really just depends.

Exactly

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Interested Observer wrote:Speaking of Magistrate judges, I was wondering if anyone had any clue as to what type of GPA you'd need coming from a school like Vandy, UCLA or UT to land a clerkship. I'm sure this differs from judge to judge and district to district, but any information (even anecdotal) would be appreciated.

The fed magistrate judge I'll be working with in the fall has two career clerks. My understanding is that this is very common and that traditional clerkships with these judges are less common.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:13 pm

Interested Observer wrote:Speaking of Magistrate judges, I was wondering if anyone had any clue as to what type of GPA you'd need coming from a school like Vandy, UCLA or UT to land a clerkship. I'm sure this differs from judge to judge and district to district, but any information (even anecdotal) would be appreciated.

At one of these these 3 the median and average GPA for the past 2-3 years was around 3.3

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Edit: Reading comprehension fail.
Last edited by imchuckbass58 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:08 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:11 pm

Oh, crap. I'm an idiot.

Return to “Legal Employment”