Market Ties?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sccjnthn

Market Ties?

Postby sccjnthn » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:47 pm

I keep reading on here about ties to different markets and I'm having a difficult time putting all the information together. I'm very interested in California and other Western markets but would be satisfied with anything outside of the northeast corridor.
1) My family lives about 2-3 hours from Sacramento and 3-4 hours from San Francisco in a rural area.
2) I attended a school in a seconday market on the east coast but haven't been back in 4 years.
3) I've lived near another small midwestern market for the last three years with distant relatives in the area.

I'm pretty sure that I have sufficient ties to number 1 but do any of the other situations garner me credit?
Which markets outside of NYC require no ties?
Does attending a southern T20 (Texas, UVA, Duke, Vandy) open Southern markets or will I need to look elsewhere?

Renzo

Re: Market Ties?

Postby Renzo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:10 pm

The whole 'market ties' thing gets a little misstated. Here's how you should think about it:

Every firm has way more qualified applicants than jobs. When picking between many equally qualified candidates, why should a firm consider someone from another city who might A) be a loser and unable to get a job in their home market, B) only be looking for a free plane ticket to come out and interview or C) spend 18 months at the firm before jumping ship when they get a job in the region they originally wanted to work in? If you are applying to a job, you need to find a way to convince the recruiter that none of these apply to you. One way, but not the only way, to do that is to say, "I grew up here, my family is here, and I always wanted to work here."

sccjnthn

Postby sccjnthn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks for the response. That makes a lot of sense.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:24 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:I was kinda wondering something similar. I am really interested in San Diego because the biotech IP market there, and because I like the place. Northern California is not for me really (on a personal level, can't take the weather, miss better surfing, miss the beach/running on it), so I wanna go back to SoCal, and I have ties to LA and Orange County, where I would also be happy to work. However, a lot of the biotech IP work is done in SD, and not LA (although there is some). Is San Diego close enough to OC and LA for the ties to "count," esp. in combination with my professional reason? Anyone wanna speculate?

Pssh. Northern California and Southern California each respectively think they are sooooo much better than the other, I think anyone from either place would just assume that of course you want to live and work in the clearly better part of the state.

NYU2011

Postby NYU2011 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:31 pm

What Renzo said is right, the problem is that often you have to get to the interview stage to explain why you want that firm/market and some firms won't bother (if they are a small CA firm and nothing on your resume reflects CA/their practice area, for instance). A good targeted cover letter could also serve this purpose but who knows how closely those get read...

I think all the connections in this thread are enough; if the city or a nearby one appear on your resume I think you're ok

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:19 am

for AmyLAchemist

SD, and particularly North County, is probably one of the most insular markets in the country. A friend of mine from High School that works at MoFo there thinks a lot of firms will take top 5% at USD over top 5% at a much higher ranked non-t14/non-SoCal school, b/c it shows more seriousness about the area.

I am from LA, my wife is from Orange County, my parents own a place in SD, yet in all my SD interviews was grilled about why I was interested in SD. Granted, it was fall 2009, but I got totally shut out of SD, even with stellar grades from a t-20 (not UCLA/USC though) and offers in OC and LA.

As a side note, pay attention to where a firm's office is. Generally only the offices in North County and the Golden triangle areas do lots of IP/Biotech stuff. The downtown offices are more general practice/govt contracting focused. All the firms in North County are basically on the same block in Del Mar.

Return to “Legal Employment”