How will these things impact biglaw chances?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Drew2010

How will these things impact biglaw chances?

Postby Drew2010 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:48 pm

1.) military service

2.) less than impressive (read TTT) undergrads

will be doing OCI this august.. pretty worried

underdawg

Re: How will these things impact biglaw chances?

Postby underdawg » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:55 am

for #1, it probably depends on how you present it in interviews. with discipline, attention to detail, and various other buzzwords, that could be a pretty decent selling point. it surely requires more commitment than most of the softs people had in UG...like school newspaper or somethin'

for #2, i don't know. sometimes i hear that firms indeed do like HYP grads and ivy grads and whatnot. to me that makes no sense whatsover. if HYP dude and TTT dude both are going to the same law school, TTT dude is more impressive in my eyes. that said, people still probably have fondness for their alma maters or something, and at top firms, they are gonna be mostly good colleges. i don't think this will be a big deal though.

i think #1 has the potential to far outweigh #2.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:58 am

Military service will give you something to talk about in the screening interview, and that's important. TTT undergrad hurts in that it isn't Ivy, and there are some firms who care about Ivies. But no one will care that you went to a TTT instead of a T10 public school or a swank LAC, so basically it's not important at all.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:04 am

Renzo wrote:Military service will give you something to talk about in the screening interview, and that's important. TTT undergrad hurts in that it isn't Ivy, and there are some firms who care about Ivies. But no one will care that you went to a TTT instead of a T10 public school or a swank LAC, so basically it's not important at all.

iuno, my theories are "hey i went there too!" = small, irrational good feeling inside interviewer, and "wtf i never heard of that school" = small, irrational bad feeling inside interviewer

but small regardless

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Thanks for the responses, they were reassuring. I think I'm just going to have to do my best to use the military service as a positive talking point in the interview, and hope it outweighs my UG.

the pecan sandies

Postby the pecan sandies » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:44 pm

I wouldn't worry too much. It probably won't come down to where you went to undergrad or military service. Rather, it is going to be about your grades. If you meet the cutoffs, that other stuff won't matter; if you don't meet them, aside from have a really great interview, you probably won't get the callback.

Not always so cut and dry, but often it is.

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:29 pm

It probably won't come down to where you went to undergrad or military service.

Yes, this. It's going to be about grades, whether the interviewer likes you, whether you can talk intelligently about your experiences in law school and before law school (i.e., about the military, in your case, but it could have been about anything), and so on.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:31 pm

the pecan sandies wrote:I wouldn't worry too much. It probably won't come down to where you went to undergrad or military service. Rather, it is going to be about your grades. If you meet the cutoffs, that other stuff won't matter; if you don't meet them, aside from have a really great interview, you probably won't get the callback.

imo, ITE the grade AND "personality/interview" cutoffs are higher

rando

Postby rando » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:35 pm

underdawg wrote:
the pecan sandies wrote:I wouldn't worry too much. It probably won't come down to where you went to undergrad or military service. Rather, it is going to be about your grades. If you meet the cutoffs, that other stuff won't matter; if you don't meet them, aside from have a really great interview, you probably won't get the callback.

imo, ITE the grade AND "personality/interview" cutoffs are higher

Yes.

No longer are grades all but a guarantee of a job. And from some employers I have talked to, military service is a definite plus.

Return to “Legal Employment”