How is Private Practice --> Public Defender possible?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kn6542

Re: How is Private Practice --> Public Defender possible?

Postby kn6542 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:10 am

underdawg wrote:how many people would want to do pro bono type stuff for biglaw salaries (if that's what those directors actually make)?? if they make PI type salaries, well i can tell you're not interested.

rule of thumb: if the job is awesome, then everyone wants to do it. it's a pretty simple rule of thumb, really.

The only dude I know who does this makes biglaw salary. He also manages all the pro bono shit for all the offices of said firm, and works biglaw hours. It's a good gig, I think, but very rare.

King

Postby King » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:25 am

underdawg wrote:how many people would want to do pro bono type stuff for biglaw salaries (if that's what those directors actually make)?? if they make PI type salaries, well i can tell you're not interested.
rule of thumb: if the job is awesome, then everyone wants to do it. it's a pretty simple rule of thumb, really.

Not trying to be all difficult, but that's a little presumptuous.. I seriously wouldn't mind taking a gigantic paycut after a few years in biglaw so that I can just work on the pro bono directing. In other words, I wouldn't mind taking home a PI type salary for the kind of work that I'd imagine pro bono directors do.

Maintaining a full-time practice in a law firm as well as directing the pro bono program would be a nightmare, in my opinion. But how does it work? Do law firms hire separate "PI type" attorneys to take care of the pro bono stuff, or is it a full-time associate, or a group of associates/partners, that carry a kind of secondary responsibility of managing the program?

Thanks

King

Postby King » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:30 am

kn6542 wrote:

The only dude I know who does this makes biglaw salary. He also manages all the pro bono shit for all the offices of said firm, and works biglaw hours. It's a good gig, I think, but very rare.

Ahh, I didn't see this prior to writing the above post..

Although I'm more interested in getting a PI type position with less hours... Is this friend of yours considered an associate at the firm? Anything else that you know about his/her job would be great:D

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:40 am

King wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

Ahh, I didn't see this prior to writing the above post..

Although I'm more interested in getting a PI type position with less hours... Is this friend of yours considered an associate at the firm? Anything else that you know about his/her job would be great:D

Well, take this all with a grain of salt, because I am just talking about my "fwends" here. But that particular guy started working as a pro bono coordinator I think as a 5th year associate and is now a partner. Keep in mind that, like I said before, this stuff would vary a lot from firm to firm and that this guy got the job because of his particular circumstances and his connections, really.

If you are looking for something more PI-ey, there are a lot of organizations that have pro bono coordinators. Some legal aid organizations reach into the local legal community to handle a lot of their cases, and those orgs have a pro bono coordinator who connects clients with local attys who are willing to take on the case. I have another friend who does that and she works about 45 hours a week and makes a decent PI salary. I don't know precisely what it is but she's pretty comfortable. But this too is going to vary from community to community, org to org, so I don't really have much more insight than what I've just said.

Return to “Legal Employment”