Marketability of someone in bottom 1/2 of class, but LR/TAB

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Garinold

Marketability of someone in bottom 1/2 of class, but LR/TAB

Postby Garinold » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:10 pm

I'm not going to go to deep into details about my law school experience. Some of you might remember the post I made a few months ago (last semester). Needless to say law school hasn't been what I originally expected in more ways than one. My grades weren't all that great first semester, and while I haven't finished up this semester yet, I suspect that the best case scenario is a slight improvement. That being said I have complete confidence in my ability to write on law review and that I will have success in both making and competing on the intra-state trial advocacy team (fall 2L semester) & the national trial advocacy team (spring 2L semester).

For those of you who have been in the market for a while, or who are 3Ls getting ready to graduate, what do you think of someone's marketability given the above description (bottom 1/2 of class, but on law review & competed on the trial-ad team) for each of the areas below? I understand that both the economy & my grades will likely change between now and 2012, but I am curious as to how bad the situation will be for me assuming nothing changes gradewise.

1) DOJ Honors Programs
2) State/City/County DA Offices - New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio areas primarily
3) "BigLaw" - defined as any firm which pays $90,000+ anywhere in the U.S.
4) Medium Size Firms - primarily in the same areas as the DA offices

Drake014

Re: Marketability of someone in bottom 1/2 of class, but LR/TAB

Postby Drake014 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:12 pm

From what I've heard and seen, you're shot at government's much better than BigLaw

Postby 270910 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:13 pm

Garinold wrote:I have complete confidence in my ability to write on law review

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:18 pm

Curious as to which law schools allow law review write-ons regardless of grades or class rank. I believe that there are several, just not sure which law schools permit this. During my law school years we had to be in the top 10%, maybe 15%,just to qualify to participate in the writing competition for law review, although I do realize that it is a school by school policy decision. Just wondering which specific law schools permit any law student to participate in law review write on competitions.
Also, I recall from several years ago that certain federal legal positions required a top 20% standing in one's law class. Has this changed?
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby 270910 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:19 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Curious as to which law schools allow law review write-ons regardless of grades or class rank. I believe that there are several, just not sure which law schools permit this.

There are probably dozens. Every LR has very different policies, but it's fairly common to have write on exclusive spots.

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:23 pm

I'd guess that I'm totally missing something but I don't see any indication of the school you attend here, which is kind of important. Someone in your position at Stanford is in a different situation than someone in your position at Hofstra.

Postby 270910 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:25 pm

OP goes to University of Kentucky

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:32 pm

OP goes to University of Kentucky

1. Effectively 0% chance- they want grades
2. Decent chance for the less competitive offices. NYC DA can be very competitive.
3. Extremely slim chance - would require some crazy connections.
4. Slim chance

SlipperyPete

Postby SlipperyPete » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:46 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”