Stupid Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Veyron

Stupid Question

Postby Veyron » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:09 am

What is so bad about ID? 75k starting with decent upwards mobility, the chance to be in court all the time, less hours (slightly) than biglaw, why don't moar T-14ers to this. I know I have to be missing something...

CyLaw

Re: Stupid Question

Postby CyLaw » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:11 am

Veyron wrote:What is so bad about ID? 75k starting with decent upwards mobility, the chance to be in court all the time, less hours (slightly) than biglaw, why don't moar T-14ers to this. I know I have to be missing something...

I have a stupid question: What is ID?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:27 am

CyLaw wrote:
Veyron wrote:What is so bad about ID? 75k starting with decent upwards mobility, the chance to be in court all the time, less hours (slightly) than biglaw, why don't moar T-14ers to this. I know I have to be missing something...

Insurance defense.

HBK

Postby HBK » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:29 am

CyLaw wrote:

Interior Design

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:33 am

HBK wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Interior Design

Infectious Disease

BetterCallSaul

Postby BetterCallSaul » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:37 am

There's nothing inherently wrong with it. Like any other area of law I can think up a gazillion ways that it could get sleazy, but it definitely doesn't have to be that way.
I hear that the hours a bit more than government but not terrible.

Career services pretty much never even mentions it as a possibility. Maybe people think it limits options in a way that biglaw doesn't? Also, the pay cut is pretty huge compared to Big law and unlike other lower-paying law jobs (public interest, plaintiff-side lit, government...) you don't get to feel like you're doing something righteous, at least not in the traditional sense.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:39 am

CyLaw wrote:

It has something to do with your ego and super-ego.

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:40 am

Unless it means working less than 1/2 of typical biglaw hours, most people probably won't want to do it if they can get a job with a higher effective hourly rate... and a lot of students from the top schools can.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:41 am

BetterCallSaul wrote:There's nothing inherently wrong with it. Like any other area of law I can think up a gazillion ways that it could get sleazy, but it definitely doesn't have to be that way.

Career services pretty much never even mentions it as a possibility. Maybe people think it limits options in a way that biglaw doesn't? Also, the pay cut is pretty huge compared to Big law and unlike other lower-paying law jobs (public interest, plaintiff-side lit, government...) you don't get to feel like you're doing something righteous, at least not in the traditional sense.

But still, if you strike out at biglaw OCI it seems like a decent option, que no? And don't most truly righteous PI gigs require a few years of lit exp anyways? What better way to get lots of responsibility early while still having a decent QOL?

BetterCallSaul

Postby BetterCallSaul » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:45 am

Veyron wrote:
BetterCallSaul wrote:There's nothing inherently wrong with it. Like any other area of law I can think up a gazillion ways that it could get sleazy, but it definitely doesn't have to be that way.

But still, if you strike out at biglaw OCI it seems like a decent option, que no? And don't most truly righteous PI gigs require a few years of lit exp anyways? What better way to get lots of responsibility early while still having a decent QOL?

I'm with you. seems like an underutilized option for t-14ers.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:46 am

^ Yah, do you think it might have something to do with them wanting to hire people from the local TTT who are less of a risk to jump ship or them wanting to hire people with exp in the field?

BetterCallSaul

Postby BetterCallSaul » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:54 am

Veyron wrote:^ Yah, do you think it might have something to do with them wanting to hire people from the local TTT who are less of a risk to jump ship or them wanting to hire people with exp in the field?

I really don't think t-14ers are applying for those jobs and I don't really know what would happen if they did...I mean, I think the decent ID firms are used to getting people from T2s and T3s who either have a few years experience working for peanuts somewhere else or who made law review and did some state clerkship. Who knows if they'd trade who they're currently hiring for ivy leaguers below the median... ?

Edit: But I don't want to discourage anyone from going for it. :)

Postby 270910 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:36 am

I have never heard anything that makes me think ID firms commonly include lots of court time, 75K starting salaries, and upward mobility. If those things were true, it would be a fine option. And maybe they are... but those are hardly the stats I usually hear quoted for ID work.

BetterCallSaul

Postby BetterCallSaul » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:08 am

disco_barred wrote:I have never heard anything that makes me think ID firms commonly include lots of court time, 75K starting salaries, and upward mobility. If those things were true, it would be a fine option. And maybe they are... but those are hardly the stats I usually hear quoted for ID work.

What do you usually hear?

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:17 am

CyLaw wrote:

Intelligent Design--sugar coated creationism where god created Earth 6000 years ago

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:33 am

pany1985 wrote:Unless it means working less than 1/2 of typical biglaw hours, most people probably won't want to do it if they can get a job with a higher effective hourly rate... and a lot of students from the top schools can.

Employees may be willing to sacrifice a higher hourly rate to work fewer overall hours. The more hours an employee works, the more valuable those hours become.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:44 am

disco_barred wrote:I have never heard anything that makes me think ID firms commonly include lots of court time, 75K starting salaries, and upward mobility. If those things were true, it would be a fine option. And maybe they are... but those are hardly the stats I usually hear quoted for ID work.

TBF, trials are rare but settlement conferences and motion arguing seem moar common than in biglaw. The better ID firms in CA do start circa 75k. Yah, and it also seems more people would be willing to make the time v. $ tradeoff.

Return to “Legal Employment”