Alternatives to OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Alternatives to OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:48 pm

Aren't we talking about NYC biglaw in particular? Not firms in secondary markets who oftentimes never went to many OCIs in the first place. NYC offices get enough applicants as it is from OCI at t-10 schools without having to care about mass mailers. (Ex. I know 2Ls who tried mass mailing offices prior to OCI. Many said they were not accepting applications that way, but these offices were still headed to our OCI.)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Aren't we talking about NYC biglaw in particular? Not firms in secondary markets who oftentimes never went to many OCIs in the first place. NYC offices get enough applicants as it is from OCI at t-10 schools without having to care about mass mailers.
1) People took it farther than just NYC and said outright, from the first reply, that mass mailing doesn't work for BigLaw anymore. That needs rebutted.

2) I was saying it's more effective for secondary markets that you're from. That doesn't mean it's not at all effective for, say, NYC BigLaw.

3) Why are you posting anonymously? You basically have zero credibility when you post anonymously without a reason.

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Aren't we talking about NYC biglaw in particular? Not firms in secondary markets who oftentimes never went to many OCIs in the first place. NYC offices get enough applicants as it is from OCI at t-10 schools without having to care about mass mailers. (Ex. I know 2Ls who tried mass mailing offices prior to OCI. Many said they were not accepting applications that way, but these offices were still headed to our OCI.)
OP asked about NYC firms not attending OCI at his t-14.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:10 am

BradyToMoss wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Aren't we talking about NYC biglaw in particular? Not firms in secondary markets who oftentimes never went to many OCIs in the first place. NYC offices get enough applicants as it is from OCI at t-10 schools without having to care about mass mailers. (Ex. I know 2Ls who tried mass mailing offices prior to OCI. Many said they were not accepting applications that way, but these offices were still headed to our OCI.)
The point was to show that while some biglaw firms are willing to hire out of OCI, these same firms are not willing to consider mass mailings whatsoever.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:45 am

Fuck all this anonymous posting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:47 am

Renzo wrote:Fuck all this anonymous posting.

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BradyToMoss wrote:
The point was to show that while some biglaw firms are willing to hire out of OCI, these same firms are not willing to consider mass mailings whatsoever.
No, all your point proved was that firms are not receptive to targeted letters from students who blew them off/didn't bid highly enough on them for OCI. It's a simple way of weeding out those applicants who aren't very interested in their firm. Your example is completely irrelevant to OP's situation, and the logical disconnect between your two statements is frightening.

If I were you I'd actually remain anonymous at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:35 am

Why not contact attorneys in your target market that are in your practice area? Ask them if they could discuss their firm and practice with your briefly (and attach your resume to the e-mail so they know a bit about you). Might not hurt to indicate when (and if) you'll be in the area. Might result in a lunch or coffee. Might result in early interview offers without asking. I also might be speaking from experience. ;)

I am operating on the theory that showing genuine interest in a person's practice is better than just asking for a job.

Edit - This wasn't NYC, but another market of near comparable size.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:42 am

RVP11 wrote:
Does it work for regional secondary market NLJ250 firms on the opposite side of the country who don't interview at your T14? Yah. Tons of these firms can't afford ITE to go to OCI anywhere other than the local schools.
Did you even bother to read the OP? The guy is looking for NYC. NYC is NOT a SECONDARY market.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Does it work for regional secondary market NLJ250 firms on the opposite side of the country who don't interview at your T14? Yah. Tons of these firms can't afford ITE to go to OCI anywhere other than the local schools.
Did you even bother to read the OP? The guy is looking for NYC. NYC is NOT a SECONDARY market.
Obviously I wasn't responding directly to OP. Did you even bother to read the post I was responding to? :roll: It was a post that talked about Skadden CHICAGO as an example of how ineffective direct mailing is, generally. And the first person I responded to was talking about BigLaw generally, never specifying NYC - "no one ever gets biglaw through mass mailing" or something equivalent.

Oh, and stop posting anonymously. You should be outed for not following directions.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:43 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Renzo wrote:Fuck all this anonymous posting.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”