Practicing with social anxiety and high introversion

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nolaw

Practicing with social anxiety and high introversion

Postby Nolaw » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:06 am

What are some law fields best suited for someone with social anxiety, high introversion, and horrible people skills?

ChrisC

Re: Practicing with social anxiety and high introversion

Postby ChrisC » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:14 am

Pretty sure this is a flame.

If it's not, then can I ask what attracts you to the law? The social interaction tends to be a central feature of the law that draws people in to it. Yeah, you can work in an area that has no litigation and little client interaction, but it's still like me asking "I absolutely hate math and physics and abhor the idea of sitting in cubicle drawing models and doing computations. What type of engineering should I go in to it?"

windycity

Postby windycity » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:31 am

Last edited by windycity on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:37 am

There are many fields that require essentially no client interaction. There are way to practice transactional law, contracts, patent, and tax, without entering a courtroom or really meeting clients. But you will always be working, even minimally and via email, with other lawyers. So the extent of the issue is a concern. Do you want to avoid having to speak in front of groups, or are you concerned about human interaction period? A lot professionals have overcome pretty severe social anxiety, so you may not want to look at it as an untreatable problem.

Nolaw

Postby Nolaw » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:38 am

I have very little interest in law but would like to keep my options open. I've been unemployed for a while and am seeking to make a career change. I'm not that familiar with law and it rarely ever made a blip on my radar until a few months ago.

Nolaw

Postby Nolaw » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:41 am

jks289 wrote:There are many fields that require essentially no client interaction. There are way to practice transactional law, contracts, patent, and tax, without entering a courtroom or really meeting clients. But you will always be working, even minimally and via email, with other lawyers. So the extent of the issue is a concern. Do you want to avoid having to speak in front of groups, or are you concerned about human interaction period? A lot professionals have overcome pretty severe social anxiety, so you may not want to look at it as an untreatable problem.

I'm most frightened of speaking in front of large groups. I've done many presentations throughout college, and it seems the more I do it, the more anxious I get about it. One-to-one and small groups are less of a problem but still a tad nerve-wrecking. Thanks for the suggestions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:43 am

there's a reason why so many attorneys are drunks - because most have lame personalities/social hang-ups/etc...

i am sure you will be fine.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:03 am

Nolaw wrote:I have very little interest in law but would like to keep my options open. I've been unemployed for a while and am seeking to make a career change. I'm not that familiar with law and it rarely ever made a blip on my radar until a few months ago.

The name NoLaw is quite appropriate...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:14 am

Nolaw wrote:I'm most frightened of speaking in front of large groups. I've done many presentations throughout college, and it seems the more I do it, the more anxious I get about it. One-to-one and small groups are less of a problem but still a tad nerve-wrecking. Thanks for the suggestions.

I suffer from a mild case of social anxiety and, TBH, social anxiety is will make going to class very difficult. Every day you have the chance of being called on to speak in front of a group of ~80 students. All of these student know the material just as well as you do so they will know if you make a mistake.

This can work to your advantage though, as it has for me. I find that I know the material really well before class so that I don't mess up and feel comfortable speaking in front of the group. It forces me to read my supplements and learn the law before going to class.

Consider whether you want to live every day knowing that you might get called on in class. I feel like this is the immediate issue, not necessarily whether you want to speak in front of people as an attorney. Speaking in front of the class for 3 years will definitely ease some of your anxiety.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:37 pm

Nolaw,

Id say you should get off of the computer and TLS and go work on your social skills.

There is nothing scary about talking. Its exciting as hell.

Work on your people skills. I imagine being in the law field, but not making human contact sucks.

BrackenClelk

Postby BrackenClelk » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:35 pm

Judging by your tar, it seems you're leaning towards People's College of Law.

Return to “Legal Employment”