chances?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

chances?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:06 pm

I applied for an RA position (there are two posts). The professor responded promptly and with much enthusiasm.
Then, no more responses for two days. I just got an email from him apologizing for getting back to me late. He said there was more response than expected, and he would have to wait till next week to make decisions.

Have I lost already? How can I possibly boost my chances?

Ipsa Dixit

Re: chances?

Postby Ipsa Dixit » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:18 pm

If the prof is not scheduling interviews, then stop by the prof's office on your own. Reiterate your interest in person and have a casual conversation with him (doesn't have to be about the position in particular, just something to get to know one another as people). That will help you stand out a bit.

Re: chances?

Postby 270910 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:34 pm

RA spots are hardly strictly meritorious. A lot of profs drag feet because they see their position as a job of last resort, and so don't want to take somebody then have them get an offer with a judge, firm, PI shop, etc.

I wouldn't read much into the prof's email. Reiterate your interest, and keep looking for other jobs. You can't ever let yourself get too attached to one position in job hunts, the odds are always against you being 'the one'.

Return to “Legal Employment”