Federal Clerkship chances

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Do I have a realistic shot?

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes: 26

tatoman

Federal Clerkship chances

Postby tatoman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:18 am

I go to BYU (ranked about 40). I am in the top 20%, am on the moot court, and on the law review. I really want to get a federal clerkship. Do I have a realistic shot at getting a District Court clerkship? I am willing to go to anywhere. Thanks for the input.

Re: Federal Clerkship chances

Postby 270910 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:25 am

Clerkship numbers are something that people outside of your school are unlikely to be able to help with, you'll have to talk to career services.

That being said, your chances of landing a court of appeals clerkship at least are functionally zero. I really don't know what they would be for a district court clerkship though...

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:06 am

are you Mormon? serious question

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:00 am

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tatoman

Postby tatoman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:57 am

@wiseowl - yes
@ discobarred - I am aware that the COA are well out of my league. I get the feeling I am a borderline candidate for District Courts, I am just trying to get some more information before I spend so much time applying broadly.
@TT-LS - thanks for the honest input.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:14 pm

my instinct is that you would have a shot in D.Utah, maybe in surrounding states, very little elsewhere unless the judge is Mormon or a BYU alum.

I would think you would have a decent shot at a federal magistrate anywhere.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:23 pm

To OP, I think one of the fundamental questions for you is: Have you interned with a district judge or other reputable judge who is willing to put a phone call in for you to other district judges? Do you have a strong rec from a professor who personally knows a district judge and would be willing to go on a limb for you?

Those factors would make a tremendous difference as opposed to if you're just cold-sending resumes/cover letters. Where I interned, all sorts of Harvard/Yale resumes never even made it past the trash bin because the Judge knew who he would be hiring and liked to hire from the local schools.

Return to “Legal Employment”