Does post-interview offer ever come via snail mail?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Matlock31

Does post-interview offer ever come via snail mail?

Postby Matlock31 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:48 pm

Thought the interview went pretty well, but then the dreaded rejection letter from the firm came in the mail.
Last edited by Matlock31 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthies

Re: Does post-interview offer ever come via snail mail?

Postby Matthies » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:58 pm

Matlock31 wrote:Thought the interview went pretty well, but then the dreaded letter from the firm came in the mail.

Yes, happens a lot actually.

Posner

Postby Posner » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:07 pm

Last edited by Posner on Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Posner wrote:From my experience, post-interview offers are usually a phone call. Everyone I know, myself included, have only received rejections in the mail.

Wait, I should have clarified this before hand, but are you guys talking about summer clerks or full time attorney positions?

Summer jobs are of definite duration (i.e. you are being hired for a SET TIME ONLY), phone calls (and more often e-mails) are the norm.

Full time attorney positions (ie. of indefinite duration should ALWAYS be in writing, if they are not be very leery of accepting them for the obvious reasons that will bore you to death if you take Employment law).

Since I have graduated I assumed you were talking permanent positions. That's what I get for imposing my own prospective without clarifying first. But for permanent positions you will always get a written offer snail-mail style (you might also get a phone call or e-mail before) but firms and lawyers like paper trails. If you don't get a firm written offer then be leery of accepting or committing to anything until you do. Every offer for (post graduation) employment I have had has either been written offers or verbal offers followed by written confirmation of the details of the offer.

Posner

Postby Posner » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Last edited by Posner on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:13 pm

Thought the interview went pretty well, but then the dreaded rejection letter from the firm came in the mail.

Must be a 1L. Wait until you do 2L Fall OCI. You'll have enough of those to wallpaper a McMansion.

Return to “Legal Employment”