shit law + MBA =???

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

shit law + MBA =???

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:46 pm

2L, tier1, summer (paying) gig w/shit law, no chance of permanent employment

Considering MBA after finishing the JD, partially as a way of delaying getting a 'real job' until the economy picks up. My fear is that the JD will be worthless for regular business jobs (maybe even a negative if an employer fears I'll leave the company as soon as I can get a legal job) and at the same time it may not help break into a big law firm (my grades were good enough for biglaw before the economy went to hell, but no I'm pushed out) because I wouldn't be getting in through a summer associate position.

Does this seem like a dumb idea? What if I get into a good MBA program with a big scholarship?

jack duluoz

Re: shit law + MBA =???

Postby jack duluoz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:49 pm

shitbusinesslaw?

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:51 pm

If you get into HBS/Wharton then sure. A TTT MBA won't get you anywhere. Neither will get you into biglaw, but a top-tier MBA could get you a good job.

Don't forget that interest will keep compounding while you are in school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:52 pm

shitlaw here=insurance defense

I'm thinking more like top 30 MBA (I'm not going to move my family another time, for another advanced degree), but I would suspect a sizable scholarship.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:54 pm

nealric wrote:If you get into HBS/Wharton then sure. A TTT MBA won't get you anywhere. Neither will get you into biglaw, but a top-tier MBA could get you a good job.

Don't forget that interest will keep compounding while you are in school.

I just don't see how the added expense will justify another degree. If you want to transition into business, it might be more effective to get some certificates in Accounting and Finance. Some employers don't know the difference between certificates and MBA's anyway.

From a practical standpoint, the knowledge you will acquire is roughly the same yet the cost is so much cheaper for a certificate. Eg - Berkeley Extension Finance certificate costs around $6,000 TOTAL, compared to Haas MBA = $80k tuition alone.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:shitlaw here=insurance defense

I'm thinking more like top 30 MBA (I'm not going to move my family another time, for another advanced degree), but I would suspect a sizable scholarship.

Well, okay...but how realistic are scholarships in MBA programs? My understanding is that many MBA applicants work for large companies that foot their tuition bill. Doesn't that disincentivize MBA programs from offering full scholarships?

spinecho202

Postby spinecho202 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Don't get a MBA...top 30 MBA won't do anything for you except delay any chance of work experience. I work in private equity, and work experience means more than anything...and people who just go from grad degree to grad degree never get anywhere because firms (or businesses) don't know what to think, and it shows you're not really committed to anything you are applying for, rather you are just chasing paper and have no real world experience

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:10 pm

are you saying it would be viewed differently than a joint (JD/MBA) degree or that even those are worthless?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:are you saying it would be viewed differently than a joint (JD/MBA) degree or that even those are worthless?

Many people consider it worthless. My impression is that the only time it is really useful is if you are corporate in-house and your company wants you to get the MBA. Other than that limited scenario, you are looking at an "either/or" situation -- either you are working as a lawyer, or you are working as a "MBA". Which means you will have at least 1 worthless degree hanging on the wall.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:27 pm

I guess I am looking at an either/or situation...but the way I see it, I'm stuck in shitlaw with my JD anyway. If I add the MBA (which I'd only do w/a sizable scholarship) it 'may' help get a better legal job later (when the economy picks up) but in the least I'd be able to enter the business world with an extra gold star on my resume (the JD) and that would also be in a better economy.

I guess this discussion really can't go anywhere, but the way I see it I'd end up with one degree I wouldn't use and one I would, but hopefully either way I'd be in a better position than I would be accepting my shitlaw destiny.

spinecho202

Postby spinecho202 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:30 pm

JD/MBAs I think can be useful down the line, but to start its worthless. Recruiters of big law don't care about the MBA, and biz recruiters don't care about the JD.

That said, I do know a couple of my coworkers who got a JD, worked in biglaw, then later down the line transitioned into business and got their MBA. MBAs are good if you are already established in business (or a career). That is typically why most require 5 years min work experience to qualify....but right out the gate, you really won't be able to get much minus pretty typical entry level roles at a fortune 500 company. That's not bad pay, but prob tops 55-65k.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess I am looking at an either/or situation...but the way I see it, I'm stuck in shitlaw with my JD anyway. If I add the MBA (which I'd only do w/a sizable scholarship) it 'may' help get a better legal job later (when the economy picks up) but in the least I'd be able to enter the business world with an extra gold star on my resume (the JD) and that would also be in a better economy.

I guess this discussion really can't go anywhere, but the way I see it I'd end up with one degree I wouldn't use and one I would, but hopefully either way I'd be in a better position than I would be accepting my shitlaw destiny.

I think that's a fine approach, but I think it is more like trashing your JD and starting over than adding a gold star to your resume.

spinecho202

Postby spinecho202 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:40 pm

My friend went to Minnesota for law school, worked shit law for a year, went back and got a top 20 mba, and now is an analyst at target...makes like 60k. Not much more than he made in shitlaw

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess I am looking at an either/or situation...but the way I see it, I'm stuck in shitlaw with my JD anyway. If I add the MBA (which I'd only do w/a sizable scholarship) it 'may' help get a better legal job later (when the economy picks up) but in the least I'd be able to enter the business world with an extra gold star on my resume (the JD) and that would also be in a better economy.

MBAs can be helpful for transactional work. In your case that's not really an option given that you missed OCI and aren't going to to do a clerkship, and are working in insurance defense this summer (probably the worst shitlaw of all).

If you really don't want to work shitlaw, and to the extent that you would rather not practice law at all as oppose to working in shitlaw, then it might make sense for you to just get a certificate in Accounting or Finance (as a poster above mentioned), work a couple years in one of those fields, and then go get a MBA. Work experience is really important for MBA programs and getting one right now isn't going to help you in anyway (particularly if you want to practice law since you are pretty unlikely to find any large or midsize law firm to hire you at this point).

Return to “Legal Employment”