Apartments in Columbia, SC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wesleybs

Apartments in Columbia, SC

Postby wesleybs » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:34 pm

This is a question for those USC students out there or anyone from the Columbia area. I just found out I'll be working there for the summer and I was wondering what are some of the better apartment communities out there and which ones I need to avoid. Thanks in advance for responses.

fwaam

Re: Apartments in Columbia, SC

Postby fwaam » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:20 pm

If you're looking for apartment complexes in particular, I'd say generally the higher priced they are, the better and safer they are (as if you didn't know that already right). If their one-bedrooms are priced at under $500/month, they're ghetto. Between $500-$600, probably okay; over $600, very nice. I lived at Hampton Greene (--LinkRemoved--) for six months and found it very nice. You can find plenty of other complexes on apartmentratings.com, keeping in mind that the people who comment are usually unhappy with their apartments, so the ratings themselves have limited usefulness.

That said, I don't think apartment complexes are really the way to go in Columbia (unless you just have to have that pool, exercise room, laundry center and so on). If I were you, I'd go on craigslist or contact a realtor--a lot of them rent. The Shandon Company, the Wolfe Company and the Fowler Company do a lot of rentals if you'd rather deal with companies rather than individual landlords. That way you can rent in a neighborhood. If you're only going to be around for the summer I'd recommend subletting, because only apartment complexes will rent to you for less than a year and even there, prices generally go up a lot for less than 12-month leases. And you'd have a hard time finding any agents willing to let for only 3 months. A lot of students rent their apartments out for the summer and advertise on Craigslist.

There are also a few large apartment buildings near campus--Cornell Arms and the Claire Tower come to mind, but they're both kind of dumps (cheap though). Park Place (I think that's the name of it) is better. And there are some small "luxury" apartment buildings downtown--I've never been in them and the location is kind of poor for a student's purposes, but they mighty be great for you if you're working right downtown (keeping in mind that Columbia is small, so you can live in a suburban-ish neighborhood and still only be 10-15 minutes away from your Main Street job). Check http://www.capitolplaces.com/mainst.htm.

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Return to “Legal Employment”