Weird Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bostonlawchick

Weird Question

Postby bostonlawchick » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:14 pm

I'm curious what the time period is for 1L summer employment. I realize that nowadays there's probably no hard and fast rule, but in general when/how long would you be in an internship with a judge or DA office or firm? Is the month of August usually free? I'm concerned because my boyfriend and I have been talking about getting engaged and it looks like 1L summer would be when the wedding would fall. I'm applying this fall to schools, so I have no idea what summer of 2012 prospects will be like, but I have no idea how I would start planning until I had a date.

NYU2011

Re: Weird Question

Postby NYU2011 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:17 pm

It will definitely vary from job to job. Last year I finished my job in July, but OCI started mid-August so keep that in mind. This year I'm working almost all of August.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:17 pm

NYU2011 wrote:It will definitely vary from job to job. Last year I finished my job in July, but OCI started mid-August so keep that in mind. This year I'm working almost all of August.

+1. It depends. But most 1L employers probably will not have a problem with you taking a week or so off in the middle of an internship.

chango

Postby chango » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:52 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:I'm curious what the time period is for 1L summer employment. I realize that nowadays there's probably no hard and fast rule, but in general when/how long would you be in an internship with a judge or DA office or firm? Is the month of August usually free? I'm concerned because my boyfriend and I have been talking about getting engaged and it looks like 1L summer would be when the wedding would fall. I'm applying this fall to schools, so I have no idea what summer of 2012 prospects will be like, but I have no idea how I would start planning until I had a date.

Are you tired of hearing about how law school is one of the best predictors of a future break up?

junelsat

Postby junelsat » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:56 pm

chango wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:I'm curious what the time period is for 1L summer employment. I realize that nowadays there's probably no hard and fast rule, but in general when/how long would you be in an internship with a judge or DA office or firm? Is the month of August usually free? I'm concerned because my boyfriend and I have been talking about getting engaged and it looks like 1L summer would be when the wedding would fall. I'm applying this fall to schools, so I have no idea what summer of 2012 prospects will be like, but I have no idea how I would start planning until I had a date.

Are you tired of hearing about how law school is one of the best predictors of a future break up?

Is this true?

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:03 pm

chango wrote:

I hadn't actually heard that before... I'm not too worried though

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:58 pm

It depends, and the less you get paid the more flexibility there will be. Most law firm SA programs are 8 or 10 weeks, and it's rare that anyone would want you to commit to longer than this (in my interviews I had one very busy civil rights firm that wanted an 11 week commitment, and they made a point of bringing it up so that it wouldn't be a surprise).

Return to “Legal Employment”