Attorney forced to deliver pizzas to pay the bills (link):

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Kohinoor

Re: Attorney forced to deliver pizzas to pay the bills (link):

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:25 pm

"a mortgage, three children"

I think we're done here.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:26 pm

A) "Greenway, who works for the Kentucky Department of Public Advocacy, graduated in 2005 from Syracuse University College of Law in New York with a $130,000 student loan.

International human rights law was Greenways first path of choice for his profession, but a law professor turned him on to public defending."

leads to...

B) "With a salary lingering right around $30,000 per year, a mortgage, three children and a $130,000 student law school loan to pay, Greenway picked up the second job in October 2006.

His student loan payment is $477 each month for the next 20 years."

Obviously law school can be a horrible horrible financial decision.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Glad I'm not going to Syracuse! :lol:

Dude let a law prof making about $200K a year tell him to go make $30K w/o considering the fact that dude had practically paid sticker at the 'Cuse. That was a clue not to follow the prof's guidance.
Last edited by PDaddy on Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:29 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:A) "Greenway, who works for the Kentucky Department of Public Advocacy, graduated in 2005 from Syracuse University College of Law in New York with a $130,000 student loan.

International human rights law was Greenways first path of choice for his profession, but a law professor turned him on to public defending."

leads to...

B) "With a salary lingering right around $30,000 per year, a mortgage, three children and a $130,000 student law school loan to pay, Greenway picked up the second job in October 2006.

Was law school even the horrible financial decision? I assume that someone with the grades to be a public defender could have at least gotten something in document review or at a smaller personal injury firm and be making 40-50k.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:31 pm

To be fair the current Vice President and the Attorney General from the State of Delaware are both Syracuse Law grads. But the AG is Joe Biden's son and rode his father's coat tails and Joe Biden went to law school in a by gone era.

debbiestevens

Postby debbiestevens » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:31 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:A) "Greenway, who works for the Kentucky Department of Public Advocacy, graduated in 2005 from Syracuse University College of Law in New York with a $130,000 student loan.

leads to...

Was law school even the horrible financial decision? I assume that someone with the grades to be a public defender could have at least gotten something in document review or at a smaller personal injury firm and be making 40-50k.

Public defenders have grade cutoffs? I just assumed that was the job you got stuck with if you finished at the bottom of the class.

jrobby6

Postby jrobby6 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:32 pm

he went to syracuse at sticker?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:32 pm

Greenway, who works for the Kentucky Department of Public Advocacy, graduated in 2005 from Syracuse University College of Law in New York with a $130,000 student loan

Cue snarky TLS know-it-all eye roll:

:roll:

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:36 pm

“Being a lawyer doesn’t give me any kind of excuse not to work hard,” he said. “It doesn’t make me above anybody else just because I’m a lawyer. I could have decided not to be a public defender, not to come to Kentucky and stayed in New York or New Jersey or Pennsylvania and done private practice and done fine. But this is what I really love doing. As long as I still love it, I hope to keep doing it.”

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:39 pm

This article is from 2007...
Last edited by ggocat on Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:40 pm

jack duluoz wrote:“Being a lawyer doesn’t give me any kind of excuse not to work hard,” he said. “It doesn’t make me above anybody else just because I’m a lawyer. I could have decided not to be a public defender, not to come to Kentucky and stayed in New York or New Jersey or Pennsylvania and done private practice and done fine. But this is what I really love doing. As long as I still love it, I hope to keep doing it.”

:!:

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:41 pm

Kohinoor wrote:"a mortgage, three children"

I think we're done here.

I stopped reading at "he went to Syracuse and is working in Kentucky"

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:41 pm

debbiestevens wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

leads to...

Public defenders have grade cutoffs? I just assumed that was the job you got stuck with if you finished at the bottom of the class.
No, that would be unemployment.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:43 pm

Syracuse University College of Law in New York with a $130,000 student loan.

International human rights law was Greenways first path of choice for his profession

He was doomed from the beginning.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:45 pm

mistergoft wrote:

I think we're done here.

He also went to Syracuse with the intention of working in international human rights law... I'm worried about the "reality" of law school and I've spent hours and hours looking into employment statistics, researching fields of law that interest me, talking to practicing attorneys about their jobs and current law students about their lives, etc. I'm not sure I can imagine how it must feel to think you're going to be able to practice International Human Rights Law only to discover you're six figures in debt and attend Syracuse Law...

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:51 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

I think we're done here.

He also went to Syracuse with the intention of working in international human rights law... I'm worried about the "reality" of law school and I've spent hours and hours looking into employment statistics, researching fields of law that interest me, talking to practicing attorneys about their jobs and current law students about their lives, etc. I'm not sure I can imagine how it must feel to think you're going to be able to practice International Human Rights Law only to discover you're six figures in debt and attend Syracuse Law...

Yep.

My career path will still bear a striking resemblance to this man's, methinks, the way things are going. And I did well. :|

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:02 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:B) "With a salary lingering right around $30,000 per year, a mortgage, three children and a $130,000 student law school loan to pay, Greenway picked up the second job in October 2006.

According to a 2006 Louisville Courier Journal article, the starting salary (in 2006) for a PD was $37,522 to start. And this guy was making only "around $30,000" after a year? Am I missing something here?

http://www.nlada.org/DMS/Documents/1161700462.76/1008

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:17 pm

What the hell was he doing going to Syracuse if he wanted to work in Kentucky????

Right there is the problem.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:37 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:B) "With a salary lingering right around $30,000 per year, a mortgage, three children and a $130,000 student law school loan to pay, Greenway picked up the second job in October 2006.

According to a 2006 Louisville Courier Journal article, the starting salary (in 2006) for a PD was $37,522 to start. And this guy was making only "around $30,000" after a year? Am I missing something here?

http://www.nlada.org/DMS/Documents/1161700462.76/1008

They rounded down to the nearest ten thousand.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:28 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
jack duluoz wrote:“Being a lawyer doesn’t give me any kind of excuse not to work hard,” he said. “It doesn’t make me above anybody else just because I’m a lawyer. I could have decided not to be a public defender, not to come to Kentucky and stayed in New York or New Jersey or Pennsylvania and done private practice and done fine. But this is what I really love doing. As long as I still love it, I hope to keep doing it.”

:!:

It sounds like he likes his job and is happy with it and is far from complaining about his circumstances. He chose the career path. It wasn't like he was forced to take the PD job in KY because he couldn't get employment anywhere else. The thread title is misleading without reading the bottom paragraph in the article.

BigA

Postby BigA » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:32 pm

Why would that be surprising? I thought that's what everyone did out of tier 3s and 4s, based on reading these boards :wink:

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:38 pm

International human rights law was Greenways first path of choice for his profession

Roflcopter.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:47 pm

Apparently they didn't have IBR back in the stone ages.

bigben

Postby bigben » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:54 pm

debbiestevens wrote:Public defenders have grade cutoffs? I just assumed that was the job you got stuck with if you finished at the bottom of the class.

Collectively speaking, the "bottom of the class" among all law grads gets no lawyer job at all. And that is a huge percentage of grads.

Return to “Legal Employment”