Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.
Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
- Posts: 2431
- Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm
Which suggests the larger and more important point that only a tiny fraction of civil law involves law suits, and a lot of the legal work in this country is instead advising, lobbying, etc. Litigation is just one of many practice areas.
- Posts: 1824
- Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm
- usually paid on contingency = higher risk and you are responsible for funding your cases until settlement/judgment (I hear about $300K to try a basic medmal case)
- your clients are real people with real injuries
- less periodic billing (some clients pay court fees and some out-of-pocket expenses)
- you don't have to keep track of your work in six-minute increments (but you are highly encouraged to track your time if disputes with the client arise)
- most plaintiff's firms are small firms
- you have to do more rainmaking (but eventually you can sit back and wait for clients to come to you)
- often it is a good idea to have another practice area (workers' comp, family, etc.) to pay the bills when the PI work is slumping
- you are on the offensive; you decide when to attack; preparation is key
- usually paid by the hour
- your clients are typically businesses and insurance companies
- your clients usually did something wrong
- you are (obviously) on the defensive throughout most of the litigation; your goal is to employ (reasonable) delay tactics
- usually larger firms
Handley Farah & Anderson is seeking a litigation associate to join its practice in its Washington, D.C. or New... read more
USA-NY-New York City
POSITION SUMMARY: Founded in 2017, the Lawyering Project is a legal advocacy organization that blends tradi... read more
JOB DESCRIPTION Are you looking to join a law firm that offers professional growth, managerial opportunitie... read more
Who is online
The online users are hidden on this forum.