Summer abroad question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which is the better career choice

Poll ended at Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 am

India
21%
Thailand
72%
They are the same
5%
Local public defender
3%

Total votes: 39

Anonymous User

Summer abroad question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:08 am

I am caught between two internship work offers. My biggest concern is which offer India or Thailand would play the best in my job search (ie: s one gonna give me an advantage or deficit at OCI). Please cast your votes and leave any notes you want to expalin how you voted; all opinions welcomed.

Bangkok offer: Intern and work with a firm in Bangkok. The work would be with international clients and more likely be the type of work that I hope to do after graduation.

Dehli offer: I have an offer to do reasearch with a prof in India doing research on international trade. India is a bigger market, but I am unsure if research work look as good as actual firm-type work of writing memos and such.

Local offer: I also have a possible, and very likely, part-time job with the public defender in my home town. The current plan is to split it and do both, but would staying the whole summer and networking be a better idea??

About me:
I am a 1L (female) at a mid T1 school in the east, I want to do international trade law. I like football, cheap cheap cheap drink specials, and romantic walks on the beach.... and yes, I know the food is great in both countries, but I am not letting my stomach decide.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sophie316

Re: Summer (interning) abroad battle. India v. Thailand

Postby sophie316 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:54 am

Just by climate alone I'd go with Bangkok. My friends were in Dehli for two weeks last summer and it was 110 degrees with a dust storm the whole time.

Posner

Postby Posner » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:59 am

Last edited by Posner on Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:21 am

The last I heard was that India was effectively shutting down outside law firms in their country. Several US firms have had to close their India offices because of policy within the country prohibiting outside firms from practicing. That would have me running for the hills (or the Himalayas, to which, incidentally, you would be hundreds of miles closer than any meaningful beaches in New Delhi). Go to Thailand.

00TREX00

Postby 00TREX00 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:48 pm

-
Last edited by 00TREX00 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digitalcntrl

Postby digitalcntrl » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:54 pm

00TREX00 wrote:Bangkok is a WAY better city than Delhi. Just tons more fun. I think that's enough said.

Is that fun in a kinky way lol.

00TREX00

Postby 00TREX00 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:02 pm

-
Last edited by 00TREX00 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:05 pm

delhi actually aint that bad as the poster above is making it out to be. it has modernized over time and has more than its fair share of pubs now, as well as malls and good restaurants. yes it may be a dusty place and on the exterior appear to be dirty, but theres so much exploration to do as it is so culturally rich and unlike any other experience you may have had. however, because you actually have a firm position in thailand with memo work, you may choose that option. but the view that delhi is an ugly city is a pretty short-sighted one.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:16 pm

I doubt that either would give you a serious advantage at OCI unless you intended to work in said country (and I know nothing about that).

I've done a lot of traveling around the world and Bangkok is one city that lives up to its hype. It's a beautiful city, the folk who live there are generally friendly, and there is a lot to do. The city is probably the 2nd most "livable" Asian city I've ever been to (behind Singapore) and what it lacks in Singapore's convenience and diversity it makes up for with a far more interesting urban fabric. The sex/fat tourists looking for underage prostitutes thing exists but it's easy to avoid.

I know nothing of Delhi, though I've heard that it's not a pleasant place (though I heard that from a friend who hates cities).

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:19 pm

Thailand is EXTREMELY beautiful!

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:20 pm

About me:
I am a 1L at a mid T1 school in the midwest, I want to do international trade law. I have lived abroad (4 years in Europe and Africa) so culture-shock won't make me run for the nearest McDonald's... 8) . I like football, cheap cheap cheap drink specials, and romantic walks on the beach.... and yes, I know the food is great in both countries, but I am not letting my stomach decide.

A. I like you.
B. How did you find these opportunities?
C. As a person that's been to both places, Bangkok>>>Delhi. It also seems like you are more interested in the work you would be doing in Bangkok.

Therefore, my vote is for Bangkok.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Not sure if this is a concern, but you can probably get by with just English in Delhi. I know nothing about Bangkok, is this also true there?

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:23 pm

kurla88 wrote:Not sure if this is a concern, but you can probably get by with just English in Delhi. I know nothing about Bangkok, is this also true there?

Yes.

Scheveningen

Postby Scheveningen » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:26 pm

Delhi is wretched. Bangkok all the way!

ToadGoDead

Postby ToadGoDead » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:32 pm

im in bangkok right now... my 8th time in as many months... it is a great and cheap city... PM if you have any specific questions about thailand...

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:40 pm

:)

Return to “Legal Employment”