1L Job offers, need advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which offer should I accept?

RA Position
No votes
Financial Regulatory Position
No votes
In-House Position
100%

Total votes: 8

Anonymous User

1L Job offers, need advice

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:22 pm

1. RA position with a professor- 40hrs/week @$12/hr. Working on financial regulation paper (my interest). Prof. just left in-house position at major NYC investment back, before that has extensive big law experience. If I do a good job for her perhaps it will lead to some good contacts before OCI starts. Her previous RAs have Big Law jobs lined up.

2. Financial regulatory company- oversees all major broker-dealers on Wall Street. Will be able to write memos and go on investigation work. This office really seems interested in me because of my prior experience with complex credit derivative products (an area where the staff attorneys do not have much knowledge). Perhaps going into this position and making myself out to be "the authority" on that topic will allow me to transition into a full time in-house position. This is 40hrs/week unpaid, but 3 credit from school upon completion. Potential problem: This regulator often deals with big law firms from an adversarial position, so perhaps big law recruiter would see my experience there and disregard me (any opinions on this would be helpful)?

3. In-House at a major wall street investment bank- 40hrs/ week @ $30/hr. Working on every aspect of an investment banking deal from sitting in on bankers pitching clients, to debt origination, to contract drafting. This job would expose me to over 53 outside counsel, including most major wall street law firms. Past interns have all landed big law jobs based on the contacts they have made at this position.

Gold

Re: 1L Job offers, need advice

Post by 270910 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:23 pm

Yes, your e-peen is enormous.

Anything else we can do for you?

Danteshek

Gold

Re: 1L Job offers, need advice

Post by Danteshek » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:31 pm

For love of country, please don't go to the SEC!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”