Will my conviction cost me my firm job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Will my conviction cost me my firm job?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valley splitter

Bronze

Re: Will my conviction cost me my firm job?

Post by valley splitter » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm curious as to this, too. I got two DUI's (one for sleeping in my car - total BS) a few years back in the same month of consecutive years, but there would be 8 years between them and when I finish law school. We all make mistakes right? Youthful indiscretions and all that. I'm hoping it won't matter all that much.

confuzzled888

New

Post by confuzzled888 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:27 pm

wow. good luck.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:33 pm

It sounds as if they want to make sure you are bar eligible, that's all. Your concern is understandable. You may have slightly annoyed them with the additional correspondence, but you likely aren't the first to do that. They should have given you some specific instructions for followup (i.e. double-checking your own history, providing an addendum, etc). The firm dropped the ball in that respect, if you ask me. This isn't the first time they've dealt with this stuff, so you might be worrying more than necessary.
Last edited by PDaddy on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thuggishruggishbone

New

Post by thuggishruggishbone » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:39 pm

It might cost you the gig, mainly because they will be worried you can't pass the bar. Did you talk to the bar in your state? Maybe if you could get something from the bar stating you are eligible to sit, that would persuade the firm to overlook the conviction.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:43 pm

OP here.

The talk of bar-eligibility seems to be the general consensus; this is what the career counselor told me. Her feeling was that the LS had basically evaluated me to the standards (though not the same depth) as the C+F board will.

I had thought about trying to get some sort of preevaluation or an advisory opinion or something from the bar here. Does anyone know if bars generally do that sort of thing?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:45 pm

thuggishruggishbone wrote:It might cost you the gig, mainly because they will be worried you can't pass the bar. Did you talk to the bar in your state? Maybe if you could get something from the bar stating you are eligible to sit, that would persuade the firm to overlook the conviction.
This wouldn't be a bar issue. I mean it would be an issue, but not one even approaching disqualification.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:47 pm

It's REALLY hard to get denied by the bar if you disclose everything. Disclose, disclose, disclose. Obviously, you will be upfront about it, so there really shouldn't be any problem. I imagine that it is policy to do a background check on individuals who disclose past convictions on the job application--due diligence really, given the correlation between committing one crime and committing others. If you did something crazy, it would be a good defense for them to say they did a background check and found nothing else to indicate you were a psycho.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

The talk of bar-eligibility seems to be the general consensus; this is what the career counselor told me. Her feeling was that the LS had basically evaluated me to the standards (though not the same depth) as the C+F board will.

I had thought about trying to get some sort of preevaluation or an advisory opinion or something from the bar here. Does anyone know if bars generally do that sort of thing?
If you were very worried, there are attorneys who represent people for C+F evaluations/hearings. My guess is that there would never be an official preevaluation (too much money/hassle for the gov), or unofficial (too much liability).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thuggishruggishbone

New

Post by thuggishruggishbone » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

I'd call the bar where you want to work to make sure

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:03 pm

OP here. For the board's info, the job was rescinded a week or so ago. Working on new employment. Watch your records, kids, they may well prevent an otherwise eminently qualified person from pursuing lucrative options. Good luck out there.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:05 pm

at first, i thought OP meant some firm belief he had stopping him from working in biglaw...

...like his conviction to only do a job that helps ppl; makes more sense this way, though less interesting lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”