What to do with your tattoo during the summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawbuddha

What to do with your tattoo during the summer?

Postby lawbuddha » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:05 pm

female, tattoo on one arm (not crazy nor big but def. easy to notice) and summer job at a vault firm. What do I do during social events?

Show it? or pretend I never want to wear a dress or short sleeves?

T14_Scholly

Re: What to do with your tattoo during the summer?

Postby T14_Scholly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:07 pm

Well with lesser firms I would say go and ahead and show it, but since you're going to be at a vault firm, you should keep it covered at all times.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:10 pm

lawbuddha wrote:female, tattoo on one arm (not crazy nor big but def. easy to notice) and summer job at a vault firm. What do I do during social events?

Do not show. Invest in a lightweight cardigan sweater/shrug that will cover without making you hot. Then you can wear it with any dress or short sleeve shirt. Offices are usually air conditioned so you'll want something warmer. And then you can take it off in your own office or out grabbing lunch (non-firm).

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:10 pm

Cover it.

Visible tattoos may not be universally frowned upon, but it only takes one partner to notice and badmouth you for it.

roadkilllaw

Postby roadkilllaw » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:10 pm

lawbuddha wrote:female, tattoo on one arm (not crazy nor big but def. easy to notice) and summer job at a vault firm. What do I do during social events?

light cardigans should do the trick

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:13 pm

lawbuddha wrote:pretend I never want to wear a dress or short sleeves?

I'm a 0L, but that is my long-standing plan. FWIW, no one has ever questioned my wearing of long sleeves at unusual times. I also have a lot of cardigans and shrugs, which put dresses back on the table for informal events.

lawbuddha

Postby lawbuddha » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:22 pm

Thanks for the advice. Off to shopping after final.

btw, how many suits do one need? I'm planning to stock up 3 jackets, each with matching skirt and pants. That should give me enough combinations to survive a week, I hope.

AlasLavinia

Postby AlasLavinia » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:52 pm

I would definitely cover it. I came to law school from a very conservative engineering firm, and there were a few people with large tattoos. They were consistently passed over for projects that involved meeting clients at accounting firms, federal agencies, representing us at trade shows, etc. Plus, the bosses would regularly comment on it.

Also, a close female relative of mine has some surgical scarring on her upper arm that she prefers to keep covered. You would be surprised how easy it is to do this without looking overdressed, dressed too warmly/conservatively, or actually being uncomfortable. Look for dressed or blouses with light flutter sleeves. Or, long-sleeved tops and dresses that are backless or have sheer backs or cut-outs. Unless you have a very full bust, you can still look very ladylike in a low neckline and 3/4 or cap sleeves. Then, buy a few very light cardigans in summery colors. Go to Talbot's and get the very lightest weight cashmere cotton blend in colors like french grey, taupe, and white. Wear these over camisoles and trousers for work, and over satin sundresses or cocktail gowns for evening wear. There. Problem solved.

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:34 pm

Just wondering....do you now regret getting the tat?

lawbuddha

Postby lawbuddha » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:57 pm

LjakW wrote:Just wondering....do you now regret getting the tat?

Ha, no! It's not a one minute crazy decision. Took me 3 years to think it through and I'm very happy with it. But I'll play it safe before landing a job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:31 pm

lawbuddha wrote:
LjakW wrote:Just wondering....do you now regret getting the tat?

Ha, no! It's not a one minute crazy decision. Took me 3 years to think it through and I'm very happy with it. But I'll play it safe before landing a job.

I'm a boy, so that makes covering my tattoos much easier. People thing I'm just extra formal--I wear long-sleeve linen shirts when others wear polos, rugby-style shirts when others where t-shirts, etc. I have a full sleeve, plus some other large tattoos. I don't regret them, but I do wish there was more separation between my personal and school/professional lives. I am nervous about wearing a T-shirt to the gym or on my days off, for fear of who I'll run into.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:04 pm

I'd say don't work at places that have problems with something as benign as a tat, but I'm guessing you want to have your cake and eat it, too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd say don't work at places that have problems with something as benign as a tat, but I'm guessing you want to have your cake and eat it, too.

You mean I should give up on 100% of all legal jobs? Because if you think that firms/clients/corporate GCs/gov't appointees don't have problems with tattoos, you're either incredible naive or deluded.

Series70

Postby Series70 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:57 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
lawbuddha wrote:pretend I never want to wear a dress or short sleeves?

I'm a 0L, but that is my long-standing plan. FWIW, no one has ever questioned my wearing of long sleeves at unusual times. I also have a lot of cardigans and shrugs, which put dresses back on the table for informal events.

Also a 0L, and plan on doing the same thing (which should be a lot easier, since I'm a male). Like the anonymous user said, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to always wear long sleeves, considering I live in NYC, plan on working in government, and don't expect to be socializing too much with my colleagues.

(I also tried to talk about this in another thread earlier: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75736&start=50
Some other posters there seem convinced that anything that shows in a t-shirt is no good, since being a lawyer apparently requires wearing polo shirts to golf outings.)

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:00 pm

Last edited by TheBigMediocre on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd say don't work at places that have problems with something as benign as a tat, but I'm guessing you want to have your cake and eat it, too.

You mean I should give up on 100% of all legal jobs? Because if you think that firms/clients/corporate GCs/gov't appointees don't have problems with tattoos, you're either incredible naive or deluded.

False. I have received positive feedback about my tattoos from my legal employers. I would keep them covered at a stuffy firm job, but most other lawyers don't care.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:12 pm

bilbobaggins wrote: I would keep them covered at a stuffy firm job, but most other lawyers don't care.

This implies there is some other kind of legal employer besides stuffy.

Return to “Legal Employment”