A different kind of question that nobody really asked before

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
randomlawstudent2011

A different kind of question that nobody really asked before

Postby randomlawstudent2011 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:37 am

This is not my first time posting here but I created a new name to remain more anonymous. I am currently finishing up 2L year at a T25. After a dismal 1L year in terms of grades, I got more or less the same grades my first semester of 2L year (current GPA is around the B- range) even though I thought I would do better since I kept hearing how 2L is supposed to be easier. Finals are around the corner, and I began wondering something. I was thinking, I know that when we applied to Law School, upward trends were not as important in our GPA from undergrad since the Law Schools would often care about our final GPA since that’s what they have to report to USNEWS for ranking purposes. However, what about employers? If an employer sees a sudden increase of grades in 3L, and those grades are not in “fluff” seminar paper classes but substantive classes like Evidence, Antitrust, Corporations, etc, can that offset poor performance before. I mean, if a person is getting good grades finally, doesn’t that mean he/she finally “got it” and shouldn’t that matter more than what happened before since they would be hiring the person as he/she is NOW, and not the way they were before. I know I know. This is all wishful thinking and you’re going to say, “if you couldn’t get it down the first year, or the first part of the second year, what makes you think you will now.” I guess I just need some motivation and a reason to actually pick myself up by my bootstraps and actually push through to the finish line with at least SOME flair. I do have a job for the summer which I got through extensive networking, and it is in the field that I want, but it is a public interest type job that doesn’t seem to hire for permanent positions so I will have to continue my permanent job-search after/during the summer months. What does everyone think? Do I have a chance to maybe put a 3L GPA on my Resume in addition to my cumulative GPA? Any thoughts are appreciated, except the stuff I mentioned earlier about “what makes you think?” Like I said, this is an exercise in hope, not gloom, but be realistic nonetheless.

rando

Re: A different kind of question that nobody really asked before

Postby rando » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:43 am

You can certainly put a 3L gpa next to your full-time one. I wouldn't be too optimistic about an up-trend in grades mattering to employers. Remember that even if you are not taking fluff coursework and the new gpa is for real, employers still have to actually go to your transcript or cover letter and see this. Many won't get that far. Do remember that you still have half a law school career left in grades. It aint over!

randomlawstudent2011

Postby randomlawstudent2011 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks for the somewhat optimistic advice. You said that employers would have to look at your transcript and cover letter to get some of the other stuff. However, what if the higher grades are in classes relevant to the job applying for and I can put those grades DIRECTLY next to the GPA on my Resume?

rando

Postby rando » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:05 pm

randomlawstudent2011 wrote:Thanks for the somewhat optimistic advice. You said that employers would have to look at your transcript and cover letter to get some of the other stuff. However, what if the higher grades are in classes relevant to the job applying for and I can put those grades DIRECTLY next to the GPA on my Resume?

You can certainly do that too. But many people that have high grades throughout do the same thing. Career services encourages you to put any grades that you got the book award for. I have heard of other students putting any A's or A-'s on their resume as well. The thing is, if employers get a bunch of resumes and all of them do the same thing, they probably stop looking at them. And to a point, the most attractive students will have gpa's at the point where it gets ridiculous to put down all their A's.
What I would do is put your cumulative GPA and then a parenthetical with your 2l grades or 2L/3L combined. i.e. GPA: 3.0 (2L GPA: 3.5 (Top 1/3)). Or something along those lines. My school gives out % ranks each semester. So for instance you could add (Top 10% Spring 2010).
I think yo have to put some notifier on your resume. You're definitely on the right track.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:16 pm

randomlawstudent2011 wrote:What does everyone think? Do I have a chance to maybe put a 3L GPA on my Resume in addition to my cumulative GPA? Any thoughts are appreciated, except the stuff I mentioned earlier about “what makes you think?” Like I said, this is an exercise in hope, not gloom, but be realistic nonetheless.

I would not put your 3L GPA on your resume. Sure, highlight the particular courses relevant to your desired job. But I don't think many people will be impressed with a 3L GPA that is better compared to two prior years.

I would focus on the things that have been successful for you in the past (networking) and not on the things that have been unsuccessful (grades). The difference for "employability" purposes that your 3L grades will have seems minimal, IMO.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:07 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Legal Employment”