U.S. Attorney's Office... Weed in Amsterdam.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
YaBoi99

U.S. Attorney's Office... Weed in Amsterdam.

Postby YaBoi99 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:04 am

So, I know that if you used illegal drugs in the past 12 months, you are toast. Does this include weed in Amsterdam?

Anonymous User

Re: U.S. Attorney's Office... Weed in Amsterdam.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:16 am

Me and my friends debated this issue for almost a full night one time. Marijuana use is illegal in Amsterdam but that law is not enforced. Thus, weed use in the holy A is still illegal and presumably it will disqualify you from working for the USAO this summer. Good luck finding another job. What do others think?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:39 am

I would just say NO to that question. You have plausible deniability because most people probably think marijuana is legal in Amsterdam. It's not like you are going to get a spinal tap. They will never know.

Unless, are you taking a polygraph for the FBI/CIA?

If so, remember the words of the great George Costanza: it's not a lie if you believe it.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:I would just say NO to that question. You have plausible deniability because most people probably think marijuana is legal in Amsterdam. It's not like you are going to get a spinal tap. They will never know.

Unless, are you taking a polygraph for the FBI/CIA?

If so, remember the words of the great George Costanza: it's not a lie if you believe it.

Unless the OP told anyone else, in which case that person might be contacted and tell the investigator, at which point the OP might not ever be allowed to practice law instead of just losing out on an unpaid internship.

Oh, and you are cowards for posting anonymously when even the OP didn't feel the need. Are you really that afraid that someone might find out you are discussing someone else's weed use under a pseudonym on the internet?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:41 am

Renzo wrote:Oh, and you are cowards for posting anonymously when even the OP didn't feel the need.

OP's got 1 post.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:42 am

op made an entire new account though

rando

Postby rando » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:00 pm

USAO probably will only ask you on your form and if they test you it will be a pee test. Unless you smoked a week prior you should be okay. How you respond on the form is up to your own ethical code.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:02 pm

rando wrote:USAO probably will only ask you on your form and if they test you it will be a pee test. Unless you smoked a week prior you should be okay. How you respond on the form is up to your own ethical code.

Can anyone confirm this?

I heard that some federal jobs have mandatory polygraph? Any hair testing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rando wrote:USAO probably will only ask you on your form and if they test you it will be a pee test. Unless you smoked a week prior you should be okay. How you respond on the form is up to your own ethical code.

Can anyone confirm this?

USAP only asks on the form. No polygraph/hair testing/pee testing. The crazy thing is this: I am going through the exact same dilemma right now.

Assume the USAO did find out, does this necessarily mean we are axed? Even if it is illegal in Amsterdam?

NYU2011

Postby NYU2011 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Can anyone confirm this?

I worked at a USAO last summer and just did the form and a urine test a week before my internship started. It's just an internship, not really important enough for polygraphing and hair testing. Actual AUSA's have more rigorous testing

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:55 pm

NYU2011 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can anyone confirm this?

I worked at a USAO last summer and just did the form and a urine test a week before my internship started. It's just an internship, not really important enough for polygraphing and hair testing. Actual AUSA's have more rigorous testing

Any inside info on the Amsterdam dilemma?

Return to “Legal Employment”