1L job for summer 2010

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
voicewithin

1L job for summer 2010

Postby voicewithin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:16 pm

Hi all,

I am a 1L and I need to make a decision soon about my summer internship choice. I'm interested in corporate law and I have the choice between a paid in-house counsel internship at a financial company and a unpaid judicial clerkship.

which one you think is better?

Thanks for your help!

also, any insights on the in-house counsel experience is appreciated!
Last edited by voicewithin on Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herb Watchfell

Re: 1L job for summer 2010

Postby Herb Watchfell » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:18 pm

1) What type of clerkship?

2a) How much contact/mentoring will you have with the GC of the in-house?

2b) How much pay?

voicewithin

Postby voicewithin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:30 pm

thank you for your reply.

To answer your question:

a) federal clerkship

b) pair with an attorney who will serve as a mentor in the company

c) < 10k

RonSantoRules

Postby RonSantoRules » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:40 pm

Why would you do a judicial internship (not clerkship) when (a) you are interested in corporate law and (b) it is unpaid? Take the job you will be getting paid at and potentially learning something relevant to your desired field of law. Unless the internship is with the Delaware Chancery Court (which I am assuming it isn't since that is a Delaware state court), why work for free when you don't have to.

voicewithin

Postby voicewithin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:45 pm

thanks a lot for your reply. the thing is that people always talk about the importance of getting a clerkship as a 1L and the weight it carries when an employer interviews for 2L summer internship. That is why I am having doubts which internship i should take for this summer:(

RonSantoRules

Postby RonSantoRules » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:48 pm

voicewithin wrote:thanks a lot for your reply. the thing is that people always talk about the importance of getting a clerkship as a 1L and the weight it carries when an employer interviews for 2L summer internship. That is why I am having doubts which internship i should take for this summer:(

Most people take unpaid internships (it is not a clerkship) with federal judges because it is among the better unpaid 1L jobs you can take. Most people can't get paying jobs, and it is a good unpaid job. But, there is no reason to work for free if you don't have to. 10K vs. 0K is a significant amount of money.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:18 am

RonSantoRules wrote:Why would you do a judicial internship (not clerkship) when (a) you are interested in corporate law and (b) it is unpaid? Take the job you will be getting paid at and potentially learning something relevant to your desired field of law. Unless the internship is with the Delaware Chancery Court (which I am assuming it isn't since that is a Delaware state court), why work for free when you don't have to.

This is TCR. If you are interested in corporate law, go with the corporation. Federal judicial internships are great, but if you're interested in corporate work or transactional, and not in litigation or academia, it makes no sense to turn down a paying in-house gig.

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:21 am

Esc wrote:
RonSantoRules wrote:Why would you do a judicial internship (not clerkship) when (a) you are interested in corporate law and (b) it is unpaid? Take the job you will be getting paid at and potentially learning something relevant to your desired field of law. Unless the internship is with the Delaware Chancery Court (which I am assuming it isn't since that is a Delaware state court), why work for free when you don't have to.

This is TCR. If you are interested in corporate law, go with the corporation. Federal judicial internships are great, but if you're interested in corporate work or transactional, and not in litigation or academia, it makes no sense to turn down a paying in-house gig.

Horny and Santo are correct.

voicewithin

Postby voicewithin » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:32 am

thanks a lot! also, can you guys give me some advice on sending withdrawal letter to the Judge. I did not get the in-house counsel offer till last Wednesday and I told the Judge I will intern at his chamber a month ago.. So I am trying to find the best way to withdrawal the clerkship....

Thanks!

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:40 am

voicewithin wrote:can you guys give me some advice on sending withdrawal letter to the Judge. I did not get the in-house counsel offer till last Wednesday and I told the Judge I will intern at his chamber a month ago.. So I am trying to find the best way to withdrawal the clerkship....

if you accepted the clerckship--and it appears as if you did--you need to stick to it. withdrawing after having accepted the offer can get you into some deep poo-poo.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=111449&p=2727677#p2727677

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:02 am

Herb Watchfell wrote:
voicewithin wrote:can you guys give me some advice on sending withdrawal letter to the Judge. I did not get the in-house counsel offer till last Wednesday and I told the Judge I will intern at his chamber a month ago.. So I am trying to find the best way to withdrawal the clerkship....

if you accepted the clerckship--and it appears as if you did--you need to stick to it. withdrawing after having accepted the offer can get you into some deep poo-poo.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=111449&p=2727677#p2727677

Oh my god, not another one.

You will work for the judge this summer. You can't, with a capital CAN NOT, renege on a judge. If you do, you will ruin your reputation and likely be sanctioned by your school. At the very least.

Return to “Legal Employment”