How do I raise a DUI AFTER I got the job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do I raise a DUI AFTER I got the job?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:13 pm

I read through a number of the other threads, but didn't see anything that specifically addressed my situation.

Got a DUI last summer, before 1L. Incredibly stupid, I'm incredibly sorry. I've talked to the admin, but I didn't find a way to bring it up in my externship interview. The clerk called me back, said "you got the job," and I'm wondering now how to raise it so it doesn't come as a surprise in June when the background check arrives.

Can anyone provide some strategies? I want to be proactive about this, without getting instantly fired before I've begun.

Again:
- already accepted
- want to raise the issue proactively
- have no fscking clue how to do that diplomatically

Help...

Renzo

Re: How do I raise a DUI AFTER I got the job?

Postby Renzo » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:32 pm

What job? That makes all the difference.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:54 pm

Externship for a 9th circuit judge.

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:59 pm

#1) ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DO ANYTHING BEFORE TALKING TO A CAREER COUNSELOR/DEAN OF STUDENTS AT YOUR SCHOOL. I would definitely ask their advice (assuming your school knows about the DUI, and if not, umm...that's an issue) before doing anything.

#2) Assuming you were not asked a question meant to get at this kind of information during the interview I would call or send an email and say something like "I'm really excited about this job and I can't wait to start. I know you are doing a background check on me, and I just wanted to let you know that last summer I did something very stupid that I don't think represents me as a person and absolutely will not represent the level of professionalism I will bring to the job. [Insert details.] This functioned as a serious wakeup call and [insert alcohol abuse program if any here, or whatever else done to deal iwth issue]. I hope it won't be a problem but I thought I should let you know."

I think that if you think this might be a dealbreaker you HAVE to let them know, because if you get dinged from the job now there are still PI positions open and you can find something else. If it happens in June...

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:00 am

Cleareyes wrote:#1) ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DO ANYTHING BEFORE TALKING TO A CAREER COUNSELOR/DEAN OF STUDENTS AT YOUR SCHOOL. I would definitely ask their advice (assuming your school knows about the DUI, and if not, umm...that's an issue) before doing anything.

#2) Assuming you were not asked a question meant to get at this kind of information during the interview I would call or send an email and say something like "I'm really excited about this job and I can't wait to start. I know you are doing a background check on me, and I just wanted to let you know that last summer I did something very stupid that I don't think represents me as a person and absolutely will not represent the level of professionalism I will bring to the job. [Insert details.] This functioned as a serious wakeup call and [insert alcohol abuse program if any here, or whatever else done to deal iwth issue]. I hope it won't be a problem but I thought I should let you know."

I think that if you think this might be a dealbreaker you HAVE to let them know, because if you get dinged from the job now there are still PI positions open and you can find something else. If it happens in June...

As always, the cat in the silly hat comes through with solid advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:29 pm

Thanks cleareyes. No question even remotely touched upon the subject. I was looking for a way to organically raise it and it didn't happen.

Talked to career people and they had no concrete suggestions. I'm going to talk to the dean and follow up an office staff connection I discovered I have. Then, my plan is to raise it with the clerk, providing the admin folks don't come up with some other solution.

And many thanks for that script. As ridiculous as it may sound, it's been hard to imagine how to not sound like a caviling fool when raising the issue. Really appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:13 pm

I went ahead and spoke to the clerk directly, using the script from Cleareyes. He sounded unfazed and said he didn't think it would be a problem and that he appreciated the disclosure. So, hopefully the worst is behind me. I'll let you know if it's otherwise.

Thanks again for the advice.

Return to “Legal Employment”