are legal clinics acceptable 1L work experience?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mollie

are legal clinics acceptable 1L work experience?

Postby mollie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:16 pm

Struck out for 1L jobs, but my school offers a legal clinic that 1Ls can participate in over the summer (supervised externship type deal). Is that acceptable legal experience or should I try for something else?

vanwinkle

Re: are legal clinics acceptable 1L work experience?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:23 pm

mollie wrote:Struck out for 1L jobs, but my school offers a legal clinic that 1Ls can participate in over the summer (supervised externship type deal). Is that acceptable legal experience or should I try for something else?

I've always been told that the goal is to get legal experience over the summer, and that for 1L the important thing is to have legal work of some sort. I talked to my school's Innocence Clinic about working there this summer before I found an outside job. I think you'll be okay.

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:34 pm

Some legal aid clinics provide exceptional training in practical matters and help you establish a relationship with clinical faculty (think rec letters!). Sure, it's not the most prestigious thing in the legal world, but it's a great conversation piece (think Fall interviews!) and it's better than no experience. I'd say it's most definitely an acceptable source of employment.

Good Luck!

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:36 pm

Absolutely.
I worked at a legal aid clinic (it was an externship though my school) last summer and it was a great experience. I learned more about being a lawyer there then I learned in all of 1L. I interviewed clients, negotiated with PFA defendants in court, drafted custody and divorce complaints...it was all very practical, hands on stuff.

The goal of 1L summer is to get any kind of real world legal experience. If you can get paid or get something prestigious like working for a judge...bonus. But a clinic is fine...it will show interviewers during 2L that you did something to advance yourself over the summer.

rando

Postby rando » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:39 pm

+1 to all above.

thuggishruggishbone

Postby thuggishruggishbone » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:04 pm

I guess it's a step up from summer school, though i'm not sure how employers will ultimately view it.

Return to “Legal Employment”