Succeeding in BigLaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Doritos

Succeeding in BigLaw

Postby Doritos » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:34 pm

I try to stay away from this forum because as a 0L I feel it's a look but don't touch type of place for me. But I have a serious question that I think several people will be interested in. What does it take to succeed at a large firm? Biglaw I guess would be the proper term. Is it just putting in more hours than the next guy or does raw intellectual talent matter more? Everyone talks about getting BigLaw but I'm curious what it takes to succeed once one gets there. Thanks in advance for your serious, non-flame, thoughtful, helpful replies.

crazycanuck

Re: Succeeding in BigLaw

Postby crazycanuck » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:03 pm

How good are you with your tongue?

Esc

Postby Esc » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:25 pm

crazycanuck wrote:How good are you with your tongue?

ahahahha

judging by what I see on ATL, I would say billing ungodly amounts of hours + sucking up = Biglaw success

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Extreme physical and mental stamina are probably more relevant than anything academic related.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:53 pm

TTT-LS wrote:As far as I know, there are likely less than four TLS users who can answer this question with any modicum of certainty or authority. I am not one of them. Law students just aren't well equipped to answer. We've had little glimpses of biglaw as SAs or paralegals before school, but neither of those experiences really exposes one to the kinds of things that would help one answer your question.

yeah I was thinking this but thought it was worth a shot. Who knows maybe a NLJ250 partner will randomly get a TLS account and answer this question haha.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:58 pm

Doritos wrote:I try to stay away from this forum because as a 0L I feel it's a look but don't touch type of place for me. But I have a serious question that I think several people will be interested in. What does it take to succeed at a large firm? Biglaw I guess would be the proper term. Is it just putting in more hours than the next guy or does raw intellectual talent matter more? Everyone talks about getting BigLaw but I'm curious what it takes to succeed once one gets there. Thanks in advance for your serious, non-flame, thoughtful, helpful replies.

Forget about succeeding in Biglaw. In this market, you should be more worried about how to get the job to start with... the vast majority of law schools students will never even get an interview.

Return to “Legal Employment”