How can I make partner at a V10 firm?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
cutiewiddlebebe
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:06 pm

How can I make partner at a V10 firm?

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:55 pm

How do I do it? What are some of the most-common paths? Which legal market? What should my concentration be in law school? In what area of the law should I practice?

Again, the only thing I care about it making money. I have no friends, no romantic prospects, and don't desire to have a family. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Last edited by cutiewiddlebebe on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Gwen
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:54 am

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby Gwen » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:56 pm

Space law is where the big bucks are at. As a first year associate you should be making 1mil easy.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:57 pm

I feel sorry for you if this is your only goal.

You should concentrate on NY and DC markets, go to HYS and *hope* you make partner. Even then, it's not going to be a sure thing.

User avatar
blerg
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby blerg » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:58 pm

Dunkin' Donuts franchise.

User avatar
cutiewiddlebebe
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:58 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
You should concentrate on NY and DC markets, go to HYS and *hope* you make partner. Even then, it's not going to be a sure thing.

What about concentration in law school? Corporate/finance stuff?

Also, if you don't make partner at the firm for which you were an associate, does that mean you have to go in-house corporate, or is there any kind of lateral motion among large firms?

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby pleasetryagain » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:02 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:How do I do it? What are some of the most-common paths? Which legal market? What should my concentration be in law school? In what area of the law should I practice?

Again, the only thing I care about it making money. I have no friends, no romantic prospects, and don't desire to have a family. Any advice would be most appreciated.


Am I correct to presume you think 1mil/year will buy you friends, romantic prospects, love, and affection?

User avatar
Na_Swatch
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby Na_Swatch » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:05 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:How do I do it? What are some of the most-common paths? Which legal market? What should my concentration be in law school? In what area of the law should I practice?

Again, the only thing I care about it making money. I have no friends, no romantic prospects, and don't desire to have a family. Any advice would be most appreciated.


Am I correct to presume you think 1mil/year will buy you friends, romantic prospects, love, and affection?


I dunno, but I think I discovered who the OP is:

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Drew2010
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby Drew2010 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:06 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:How do I do it? What are some of the most-common paths? Which legal market? What should my concentration be in law school? In what area of the law should I practice?

Again, the only thing I care about it making money. I have no friends, no romantic prospects, and don't desire to have a family. Any advice would be most appreciated.


Am I correct to presume you think 1mil/year will buy you friends, romantic prospects, love, and affection?


No.. but it will buy me a pretty damn nice boat...


+1

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby imchuckbass58 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Well, the answer is don't go to law school, go into business instead.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby rayiner » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:07 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
You should concentrate on NY and DC markets, go to HYS and *hope* you make partner. Even then, it's not going to be a sure thing.

What about concentration in law school? Corporate/finance stuff?

Also, if you don't make partner at the firm for which you were an associate, does that mean you have to go in-house corporate, or is there any kind of lateral motion among large firms?


Concentration doesn't matter. Go to Harvard, get a job at Wachtell, wash out then get a favorable partner-track job at a lesser firm. Note that there are only 17 firms that average more than $1m PPP: --LinkRemoved--

Although very senior partners at lower firms will make more than the average PPP, you're unlikely to hit $1 million/year at any point working at a firm not on that list.

User avatar
cutiewiddlebebe
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:07 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:How do I do it? What are some of the most-common paths? Which legal market? What should my concentration be in law school? In what area of the law should I practice?

Again, the only thing I care about it making money. I have no friends, no romantic prospects, and don't desire to have a family. Any advice would be most appreciated.


Am I correct to presume you think 1mil/year will buy you friends, romantic prospects, love, and affection?

Incorrect. I included that bit because people inevitably say some variation of "have fun never seeing your kids/wife/friends."

fiftyonefifty
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:49 am

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby fiftyonefifty » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:09 pm

push cocaine. watch the movie blow to get started

ViIIager
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby ViIIager » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:09 pm

Image

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby pleasetryagain » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:10 pm

Drew2010 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:How do I do it? What are some of the most-common paths? Which legal market? What should my concentration be in law school? In what area of the law should I practice?

Again, the only thing I care about it making money. I have no friends, no romantic prospects, and don't desire to have a family. Any advice would be most appreciated.


Am I correct to presume you think 1mil/year will buy you friends, romantic prospects, love, and affection?


No.. but it will buy me a pretty damn nice boat...


+1


Did you really just fake-quote then +1 it?

epic

User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:15 pm

In all seriousness, I presume your lack of desire for emotional entanglements is a manifestation of sociopathy. This is the only explanation I can think of that for the desire of the accumulation of wealth without purpose, save for attaining an extraordinary amount of objects, which would be easier to do in a business environment.

User avatar
cutiewiddlebebe
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:18 pm

Spaceman Spiff wrote:In all seriousness, I presume your lack of desire for emotional entanglements is a manifestation of sociopathy. This is the only explanation I can think of that for the desire of the accumulation of wealth without purpose, save for attaining an extraordinary amount of objects, which would be easier to do in a business environment.

I want to use the money to fund the production of my album, which will cost upwards of $2 million dollars. Thus, my only career goal is to make enough money to fund my only personal goal. Nothing else matters beyond that.
Last edited by cutiewiddlebebe on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hannibalhamlin61
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby hannibalhamlin61 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Rayiner - I think the information in that link of yours is a decade old.

Back in the good old Hale & Dorr days. Still, I'm not sure if the prospects would look better or worse if that was done with current figures.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:20 pm

You could also make a career of chasing ambulances, suing companies, suing the government, and hope to get lucky with one of those.

User avatar
hannibalhamlin61
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby hannibalhamlin61 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:21 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:In all seriousness, I presume your lack of desire for emotional entanglements is a manifestation of sociopathy. This is the only explanation I can think of that for the desire of the accumulation of wealth without purpose, save for attaining an extraordinary amount of objects, which would be easier to do in a business environment.

I want to use the money to fund the production of my album, which will cost upwards of $2 million dollars. Thus, my only career goal is to make enough money to fund my only personal goal. Nothing else matters beyond that.


Oh man, I think I just stepped in shit. And by shit I mean this thread.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby Flanker1067 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:29 pm

This thread is ridiculous, but if that is truly your only career goal then don't go to law school. Get an MBA from Harvard, get into VC and startups. Much less stable then law, much more likely to earn that kind of money.

Ahh, I stand corrected by the guy below me. Drug running is TCR.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby quickquestionthanks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:30 pm

hannibalhamlin61 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:In all seriousness, I presume your lack of desire for emotional entanglements is a manifestation of sociopathy. This is the only explanation I can think of that for the desire of the accumulation of wealth without purpose, save for attaining an extraordinary amount of objects, which would be easier to do in a business environment.

I want to use the money to fund the production of my album, which will cost upwards of $2 million dollars. Thus, my only career goal is to make enough money to fund my only personal goal. Nothing else matters beyond that.


Oh man, I think I just stepped in shit. And by shit I mean this thread.



Hilarious.

The answer is obvious and has already been stated ITT. Drug running.

User avatar
cardnal124
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:31 am

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby cardnal124 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:33 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
hannibalhamlin61 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:In all seriousness, I presume your lack of desire for emotional entanglements is a manifestation of sociopathy. This is the only explanation I can think of that for the desire of the accumulation of wealth without purpose, save for attaining an extraordinary amount of objects, which would be easier to do in a business environment.

I want to use the money to fund the production of my album, which will cost upwards of $2 million dollars. Thus, my only career goal is to make enough money to fund my only personal goal. Nothing else matters beyond that.


Oh man, I think I just stepped in shit. And by shit I mean this thread.



Hilarious.

The answer is obvious and has already been stated ITT. Drug running.


Seriously, $2 million to produce your first album? What the hell are you talking about?

Flame

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:40 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
hannibalhamlin61 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:In all seriousness, I presume your lack of desire for emotional entanglements is a manifestation of sociopathy. This is the only explanation I can think of that for the desire of the accumulation of wealth without purpose, save for attaining an extraordinary amount of objects, which would be easier to do in a business environment.

I want to use the money to fund the production of my album, which will cost upwards of $2 million dollars. Thus, my only career goal is to make enough money to fund my only personal goal. Nothing else matters beyond that.


Oh man, I think I just stepped in shit. And by shit I mean this thread.



Hilarious.

The answer is obvious and has already been stated ITT. Drug running.

Clearly not the best choice for one million per year. OP could make a few quick scores (not without a lot of risk), but when OP gets gready is when he'll get killed or caught. Do it once or twice for a good score, he/she could be fine.

Of course, then there is the whole moral and legal aspects of this.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby Flanker1067 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Ha, it's the best per year, even if it is most likely < 5 years till death/prision.

User avatar
BigFatPanda
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:47 am

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Postby BigFatPanda » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:45 pm

I think you should go to Business school instead of law school: You're guarantee to make 1 mil/year even when the economy went to hell because you would be taking a private jet to DC and ask for bail out money to cut yourself a 1 million dollar bonus as a pat on your own back for a job well done in swindling taxpayer's money.

All else fails, work as lawyer for the Mexican drug cartel, that would get you 1 million----or specialize in celebrity divorce-----or go to SOmalia and become a lawyer for the pirates-----even better, working for Osama Bin Laden as his personal counsel when he gets captured, i think he's a millionaire or something.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.